Chit Chat

Is your dress white or ivory (or something else)?

Re: Is your dress white or ivory (or something else)?

• ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2014
    I think the reason a lot of bridal shops carry off-white to more ivory colored gowns rather then bright white is 1) an off-white/cream/ivory look much better on most individuals and 2) since the samples are tried on so much having a creamier colored dress will help to hide dirt/oil a bit better then a super white dress.

As for me I wore a diamond white dress (basically and off-white dress).  I never even considered a bright/pure white dress.  Also, no matter what dress I picked I was going to go with the color that I tried on because I didn't want to take a chance on changing that color and the dress not looking as nice in it.
    I tried on a lot of bright white dresses and even though I knew I could order them in more of an ivory color I still subconsciously didn't like them because how the color looked with my skin tone. After the wedding, H said to me "I thought your dress wasn't white" - he was horrified at the idea of me not wearing a white dress.
    Anniversary
  • edited August 2014
    You know what's crazy? I don't even know. It seems maybe that it's ivory. Or maybe a shade darker. I really don't care of what the exact color is it. I love it and it looks awesome on me. Not once did I consider that I won't match the tablecloths. Are you planning on posing with them all night? 
  • My dress is champagne.  But the way I look at it... when you see old pictures of your grandma's wedding dress and she says it was white, it was ivory.  It's like times have changed - what was white is now ivory, and what was ivory is now champagne.
  • You know what's crazy? I don't even know. It seems maybe that it's ivory. Or maybe a shade darker. I really don't care of what the exact color is it. I love it and it looks awesome on me. Not once did I consider that I won't match the tablecloths. Are you planning on posing with them all night? 
    I was planning on using my tables as the backdrop for all of my important photos.

No good?
  • ashleyep said:
    I think the reason a lot of bridal shops carry off-white to more ivory colored gowns rather then bright white is 1) an off-white/cream/ivory look much better on most individuals and 2) since the samples are tried on so much having a creamier colored dress will help to hide dirt/oil a bit better then a super white dress.

As for me I wore a diamond white dress (basically and off-white dress).  I never even considered a bright/pure white dress.  Also, no matter what dress I picked I was going to go with the color that I tried on because I didn't want to take a chance on changing that color and the dress not looking as nice in it.
    I tried on a lot of bright white dresses and even though I knew I could order them in more of an ivory color I still subconsciously didn't like them because how the color looked with my skin tone. After the wedding, H said to me "I thought your dress wasn't white" - he was horrified at the idea of me not wearing a white dress.
    DH was shocked when I told him I had no intention of wearing a white dress.  If I hadn't told him, I doubt he would have realized it wasn't white.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dress was also ivory. White does tend to really bleach people out.  For caucasion folks, it will often make you look pale pale pale. If you are a person of color, it can make you look a little washed out, if that makes any sense.  Ivory is best on almost all complexions.
  • You know what's crazy? I don't even know. It seems maybe that it's ivory. Or maybe a shade darker. I really don't care of what the exact color is it. I love it and it looks awesome on me. Not once did I consider that I won't match the tablecloths. Are you planning on posing with them all night? 
    I was planning on using my tables as the backdrop for all of my important photos.

No good?
    I honestly think you should just use them as a cape. 
  • Mine is ivory but even in the designer photos, it has a light blue tinge to it.  I guess real ivory will vary from designer to designer. I think you should just go with what you like! On the photos, it'll barely make a difference I think.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

No good?
    I think that is going to be a whole lot of white in once picture.  Even with an ivory dress your skirt could end up blending in with the tablecloths.  You really want a contrasting background not a matching one.  Plus tables are less than waist high so they aren't really a backdrop, whatever is behind them will also be in your background.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

No good?
    I honestly think you should just use them as a cape. 
    "Oh, time for pictures? Hold on let me get ready..."

• Mine is called "sand" but it's really just off-white.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My dress is champagne, with a few different shades in there and lots of beadwork.  It's definitely not white if you compare it with bright white; but if I'm standing alone, the general impression is of an off-white wedding dress.  My sister and mom happened to be wearing white when we went shopping, so here's a good comparison.  I haven't really thought of our tablecloths.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

No good?
    No no, you need to stand ON the tables.

• @JCbride2015 I love that dress!!
  • My dress was hot pink.

An ivory or champagne dress won't clash with white tablecloths.
  • My dresses are about as close to white as they can get without being white. When I stood next to the buffet tables with their crisp white table clothes, both of my dresses were extremely close in color. However, that was the only place that it was noticeable since we opted for red table linens. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• My dress was "off-white". I know a lot of stores carry ivory or the off whites. When you compared my dress to a true white dress, the white one was crazy stark white. Mine is definitely white looking, and you could never tell against men's white dress shirts or white tablecloths.

image   image   image

• I tried an oyster colored dress eons ago and loved it.  I wanted a blush colored dress sooo badly.  But ultimately, my dress is ivory.  I am super pale so true white would just be a disaster on me.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I bought mine at DB and It just says White. When I went to get my veil I was asking if they had the one I liked in White, the lady helping us was like "Oh, we only have one veil in White that's the length you want" I thought about getting my dress in Ivory, since I'm pale, but then I found out my dress ONLY comes in white, and that it was being discontinued, so I just bought it off the rack. I honestly don't know if it's off white, tag just says "White".

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Mine, I believe, is ivory, but I'm not sure the actual color! I bought a sample and there wasn't a lot of info about it. The satin on one of the many under layers is definitely ivory, but it looks pretty white in pictures. I don't know, it seems to complement my pale, but slightly olive toned skin! I ordered my veil off of etsy in diamond white (single layer, waist length), and it seems to match quite nicely!
  • This is what cafe with an ivory overlay looks like.  I'm having white napkins and kind of linen colored tablecloths, so I feel like all the light neutrals will just go together...

• I don't think "true" white is flattering for most women, but ivory is which is why it is more common.  My dress is "champagne" with ivory overlay.  I found it more flattering on my skintone versus stark white.
  • Ha! I totally avoided this issue.

How you ask? My dress was pink! Score 1 for the colorful dresses!
    Anniversary
  • Most ivory dresses look white to most people, especially in daylight. It's just a softer, more natural white.

Mine, though, is champagne with an ivory lace overlay. Looks WAY better with my skin than the lighter dresses did. 
    Me too!
    My dress was also champagne with an ivory lace overlay. My husband wore a white shirt (because the ivory shirts look dingy) and an ivory tie. The wedding dresses in the different darker shades of white don't look dingy for some reason, more vintage. 

I had a champagne veil that matched perfectly to my dress.

• Here is a picture with my dress next to the white table cloth.

• RajahBMFD said:
    Ha! I totally avoided this issue. How you ask? My dress was pink! Score 1 for the colorful dresses!
    One of my dresses was red and gold!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• @huskypuppy14 Love your siggy.  I'm actually thinking about departing from HIMYM and changing mine for a little while, too.  :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Most ivory dresses look white to most people, especially in daylight. It's just a softer, more natural white.

Mine, though, is champagne with an ivory lace overlay. Looks WAY better with my skin than the lighter dresses did. 
    Me too!
    My dress was also champagne with an ivory lace overlay. My husband wore a white shirt (because the ivory shirts look dingy) and an ivory tie. The wedding dresses in the different darker shades of white don't look dingy for some reason, more vintage. 

I had a champagne veil that matched perfectly to my dress.
    We bought suits at men's wearhouse for the groomsmen and the salesman was so concerned about matching the color of my dress. I kept insisting that it didn't matter, they could all (including my husband) wear whatever white shirt they already owned. But no, he would not give it up. IT'S FINE, DUDE!
    Anniversary
  • ashleyep said:
    We bought suits at men's wearhouse for the groomsmen and the salesman was so concerned about matching the color of my dress. I kept insisting that it didn't matter, they could all (including my husband) wear whatever white shirt they already owned. But no, he would not give it up. IT'S FINE, DUDE!
    LOL! We just went through that with Mens Wearhouse this past weekend! They were sooo concerned about matching the ivory shirt to my ivory dress! Only one tux matched it - the grey Vera Wang (it seems that's all they rent out) and then it was a big ordeal to figure out what vest and tie could now match that ivory shirt and our colors (light pink & dark grey). OMG. I was so tired. It was harder than dress shopping. I almost seriously thought about changing my dress to a white dress.I even questioned them why it'd be so hard to match their suits to ivory dresses when there are more ivory dresses than white ones!  Thank goodness I came to my senses... we're not doing tuxes any more. Thanks MW! 
  • KytchynWitcheKytchynWitche member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    My dress is ivory and mint. I didn't like any of the styles I saw in the local bridal shop and I couldn't get an appointment with ANY of the salons in the city (seriously, what's the point of having a phone number and email address if no-one answers the phone or replies to emails?!), so I found a picture of what I wanted online and took it to a local dressmaker.

Thankfully the gents aren't wearing tuxes, so matching up isn't an issue. They're wearing white shirts with a green stripe, black suit pants and black waistcoats - no jackets, no ties.

We have three different shades of green going between my dress, MOH's dress, and the guys' shirts, and that's totally cool with everyone involved.

Edited because I'm an idiot when I've just woken up.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards