Pre-wedding Parties

Non-Traditional Wedding Shower

My shower is this weekend and is being hosted by my mother and two bridesmaids.  I'm not involved with it, except when they first told me they were throwing it I requested that the shower be something non-traditional (I'm just not a big fan of traditional showers, I find them a little boring and they just aren't for me).  So instead they are throwing us a joint couple's shower that will basically be a big BBQ.  I'm not worried about it, I'm sure it will be great, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had a shower like this before.  Just curious, how did your non-traditional shower go?

Re: Non-Traditional Wedding Shower

• My shower is this weekend and is being hosted by my mother and two bridesmaids.  I'm not involved with it, except when they first told me they were throwing it I requested that the shower be something non-traditional (I'm just not a big fan of traditional showers, I find them a little boring and they just aren't for me).  So instead they are throwing us a joint couple's shower that will basically be a big BBQ.  I'm not worried about it, I'm sure it will be great, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had a shower like this before.  Just curious, how did your non-traditional shower go?
    Other than it being a couples shower & your mom being involved (which is still frowned upon in some circles), what is non-traditional about it?  Are you registered?  Will you be opening gifts?  Are there any games or activities planned?  We need more info to answer your questions :)
  • This isn't really non-traditional, I don't think. You and your FI are hanging out with friends and family who are "showering" you with gifts to establish your home. I guess it's not a ladies' party with tea and cookies, but I don't know, showers don't have to be. One of my showers was a boozey brunch with trivia (prize was more booze).

Just make sure you open the presents, graciously thank everyone in person, write your thank you notes, and then have a great time.
  • I think it sounds fun. Just remember that showers are for "showering" the bride/couple in gifts. If people bring gifts (they will) you need to open them at the shower. Its super rude not to. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so, but it shows appreciation for people who brought you presents. Its seen as a huge slight not to.
    *********************************************************************************

• Sounds like fun, wish I was going.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards