Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reception Timeline help!

Please help. We are starting to plan the reception for our upcoming January wedding. We thought we had all the time in the world haha. Now it looks like we don't. Please be honest with me. Do table visits take 3-4 minutes per table for a 200 guest wedding? Are we being realistic? Any other suggestions?? Wedding is at 5, anticipate 30 minute ceremony, 15 minute drive to recpeiton. 545 is the very earliest anyone might show up. There will be appetizers and drinks when they arrive, just not a technical cocktail hour. We will be doing all pictures before the wedding.

Guest arrival    5:45
Hall Intro/Announce Party    6:15
1st Dance-     6:15
Dinner/Prayer    6:20
Table Visits    6:35 (1/2 of the tables)
Toast    7:15
Cake Cutting    7:45
Table Visits    7:50 (1/2 of the tables)
Father/Daughter Dance -     8:30
Mother/Groom Dance-     8:35
In-Law Dance    8:40
Dancing    8:45
Bouquet / Garter Toss    9:15
More Dancing 9:20
Last Song & Send Off    11:00

Re: Reception Timeline help!

• Options

You should start your table visits as soon as you finish eating, if buffet.  Or if you are having a sit down with multiple courses, you can do table visits between each course.  I think you are not allowing enought time for table visits.  Many guests will want pictures taken with you or to chat, etc.  So 3-4 minutes each table may not be enough time.

Also, some guests may decide to leave after the cake is cut.  It's seen as ok for guests to leave then.  So can you switch the father/daughter and mother/son dances with the cake cutting?  Also, do more table visits after the toasts but before the spotlight dances start. Can you nix the in-law dance?  Many people get bored with too many spotlight dances.  What is an in law dance anyway?

• Options

You should start your table visits as soon as you finish eating, if buffet.  Or if you are having a sit down with multiple courses, you can do table visits between each course.  I think you are not allowing enought time for table visits.  Many guests will want pictures taken with you or to chat, etc.  So 3-4 minutes each table may not be enough time.

Also, some guests may decide to leave after the cake is cut.  It's seen as ok for guests to leave then.  So can you switch the father/daughter and mother/son dances with the cake cutting?  Also, do more table visits after the toasts but before the spotlight dances start. Can you nix the in-law dance?  Many people get bored with too many spotlight dances.  What is an in law dance anyway?

I dance with my father in law and groom dances with my mother. I wanted to nix it, but groom wants it. It would be at the same time, same song not separate.
    Thank you for the advice and the reminder about the cake. We can defintely switch that around. We were planning to go right after we are done eating. It is sit down. Although I warned my fiance that we probably won't get to eat much!
  • Options
    JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I would try to plan at least 5 minutes per table. People will want to have a short conversation with you. I would also move a few things around so that there is less stop and go during the reception:
    5:45 - Guests arrive
    6:15 - Announcements & first dance
    6:25 - Toasts/Prayer
    6:40 - Dinner served - Do a few table visits after you eat
    7:10 - Spotlight dances - Bride/Dad & Groom Mom. If the "in-law" dance is where you dance with his dad and he dances with your mom, I'd do those during the spotlight dances you already have planned. For example, you and your dad dance a little alone, then your H leads your mom to the dance floor.
    7:20 - Cake cut; do garter toss and bouquet toss while cake is being served
    7:30 - Cake served, open dancing. Resume table visits.
    11:00 - Send off

If you are really worried about not having enough time for table visits, do a modified receiving line post ceremony; it could be just your and H, or you guys and parents. It adds to the ceremony time, but I've found people are less talkative there than then doing table visits.

ETA: paragraphs
    Anniversary

• Options
    I would move all spotlight dances to when you are first announced.  I would maybe talk to your FI about having the in law dance not a spotlight dance per se but as something that happens right after the cake cutting (not announced just as a way to open the dance floor for everyone else).  

I would have your toasts done during the salad course if you are having one.  Most likely you and your FI will get served first.  Make sure you give yourself at least 15 minutes if not 20-30 to enjoy your meal.  I absolutely hate it when couples say that they didn't even get to eat.  Yes, you need to be a gracious hosts and greet your guests but you should also be allowed to enjoy your meal that you took time to pick so carefully.  Once you get to enjoy your food, then do table visits.  I would think 5 minutes per table should be more then adequate.  Just keep yourselves moving a long. Maybe even have your event coordinator or your DOC help to keep you moving during this time.

Then do the cake cutting.  Then have the in-law dance where you and your FI start dancing with your in-laws and then after a minute the DJ says "and now X and Y invite you all to join them on the dance floor."  Once the dance ends have your DJ break out the fun dance music.

• Options

If you are having a sit down dinner, you should be served first.  Finish eating as quickly as possible (without choking!) and get up to start your table visits.  Keep an eye on your table and when the next course is served to you, go back and eat, then continue with table visits when finished.  This is what H & I did at our reception and we got through all the tables prior to the dessert being served.

Can you do one song for the mother/son, father/daughter, and in law dance?  Perhaps start with the father/daughter and dance for a minute, then step aside so that mother/son can dance for a minute.  Finish up the song with B/FOG and G/MOB dance at the same time.  You get all your dances in and keeps the spotlight dances to a minimum.

Also, check with your reception venue about your timeline.  I wanted to do all the spotlight dances immediately upon entering.  The venue wanted to just have the first dance, then go right into dinner.  They do it this way to help with timing of the dinner.

• Options
    Thank you everyone! Great advice. I am really concerned about the table visits! I don't want to miss anyone. Was just at a wedding where the couple didn't even try to make all the tables(just family up front). We came from out of town and had to interrupt them from hanging out with their friends to say goodbye. Also, don't want the guest to wait too long for dinner, but I guess if they had appetizer and at least we are all in there doing something(not a gap or cocktail hour) that should be better for them.
  • Options
    I know I don't speak for everyone, but I don't mind waiting like 15 minutes between the end of cocktail hour and dinner service.  I have most likely stuffed my face with apps so 15 minutes allows my stomach to open up some space for dinner.

I also prefer most, if not all, the spotlight stuff to be over with in the beginning so that once dinner is over with I can really get down and party.

• Options
    JaxInBlue said:
    I would try to plan at least 5 minutes per table. People will want to have a short conversation with you. I would also move a few things around so that there is less stop and go during the reception:
    5:45 - Guests arrive
    6:15 - Announcements & first dance
    6:25 - Toasts/Prayer
    6:40 - Dinner served - Do a few table visits after you eat

7:10 - Spotlight dances - Bride/Dad & Groom Mom. If the "in-law" dance is where you dance with his dad and he dances with your mom, I'd do those during the spotlight dances you already have planned. For example, you and your dad dance a little alone, then your H leads your mom to the dance floor.
    7:20 - Cake cut; do garter toss and bouquet toss while cake is being served
    7:30 - Cake served, open dancing. Resume table visits.
    11:00 - Send off

If you are really worried about not having enough time for table visits, do a modified receiving line post ceremony; it could be just your and H, or you guys and parents. It adds to the ceremony time, but I've found people are less talkative there than then doing table visits.

ETA: paragraphs
    Toasts should not take 15mins!  They are toasts, not speeches.

Do the prayer directly before dinner is served, then have the toasts during dinner.  The toasts should last no longer than a total of 8-10 minutes.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Please help. We are starting to plan the reception for our upcoming January wedding. We thought we had all the time in the world haha. Now it looks like we don't. Please be honest with me. Do table visits take 3-4 minutes per table for a 200 guest wedding? Are we being realistic? Any other suggestions?? Wedding is at 5, anticipate 30 minute ceremony, 15 minute drive to recpeiton. 545 is the very earliest anyone might show up. There will be appetizers and drinks when they arrive, just not a technical cocktail hour. We will be doing all pictures before the wedding.

This may not apply to you, in which case disregard, but in my case I have my DJ and photographer booked until 11:00.  That means the music and pictures stop at 11:00, so we're doing our sendoff  at like 10:45 or so.  That way the guests won't feel as rushed.

• Options
    That dinner seems like it will take FOREVER.  As a guest at weddings, I would be really frustrated, bored, and ready to leave by the time dancing started at 8:45 after almost 3 hours of watching toasts, dances, and having to sit there because the B&G want to do table visits instead of a receiving line at the ceremony. (you could also make sure that you and DH arrive at the reception location by 5:45 and be there to greet guests as they arrive)

Speaking from a guest perspective, I particularly loathe bridal party announcements at the reception with the songs and the stupid dancing in stuff (this is personal preference, I know that's how it's done most of the time, just really personally hate it).  You were already announced at the ceremony, people know who you are!!!!!!  (Just my two cents, do what you like though - it's not my wedding :)

I think just show up when your guests do, do a prayer at 6:15 and start dinner immediately.  When dinner is wrapping up about 7, then start your toasts. At 7:15 do your cake cutting, at 7:20 do spotlight dances, and start the open dancing at 7:30.  Give your guests til about 8:30 and then do garter/bouquet toss if you are doing those.  

Then you have the rest of evening to mingle and enjoy being with your guests.  At that point, you won't have to feel stressed about making sure to see everyone, but can still mingle and will likely get around to most people anyway but it will feel much more natural than forced conversation at tables while your guests are eating :)
  • Options
    cafarrie said:
    That dinner seems like it will take FOREVER.  As a guest at weddings, I would be really frustrated, bored, and ready to leave by the time dancing started at 8:45 after almost 3 hours of watching toasts, dances, and having to sit there because the B&G want to do table visits instead of a receiving line at the ceremony. (you could also make sure that you and DH arrive at the reception location by 5:45 and be there to greet guests as they arrive)

Speaking from a guest perspective, I particularly loathe bridal party announcements at the reception with the songs and the stupid dancing in stuff (this is personal preference, I know that's how it's done most of the time, just really personally hate it).  You were already announced at the ceremony, people know who you are!!!!!!  (Just my two cents, do what you like though - it's not my wedding :)

I think just show up when your guests do, do a prayer at 6:15 and start dinner immediately.  When dinner is wrapping up about 7, then start your toasts. At 7:15 do your cake cutting, at 7:20 do spotlight dances, and start the open dancing at 7:30.  Give your guests til about 8:30 and then do garter/bouquet toss if you are doing those.  

Then you have the rest of evening to mingle and enjoy being with your guests.  At that point, you won't have to feel stressed about making sure to see everyone, but can still mingle and will likely get around to most people anyway but it will feel much more natural than forced conversation at tables while your guests are eating :)

STB:
    The DJ is only announcing us. Bridal party will be sitting as guests in their own tables and not be announced.
  • Options

This may not apply to you, in which case disregard, but in my case I have my DJ and photographer booked until 11:00.  That means the music and pictures stop at 11:00, so we're doing our sendoff  at like 10:45 or so.  That way the guests won't feel as rushed.
    Very good point. We have to be out by 12midnight, but I hadn't thought of the pictures. I will revisit this.
  • Options
    I would move all spotlight dances to when you are first announced.  I would maybe talk to your FI about having the in law dance not a spotlight dance per se but as something that happens right after the cake cutting (not announced just as a way to open the dance floor for everyone else).  

I would have your toasts done during the salad course if you are having one.  Most likely you and your FI will get served first.  Make sure you give yourself at least 15 minutes if not 20-30 to enjoy your meal.  I absolutely hate it when couples say that they didn't even get to eat.  Yes, you need to be a gracious hosts and greet your guests but you should also be allowed to enjoy your meal that you took time to pick so carefully.  Once you get to enjoy your food, then do table visits.  I would think 5 minutes per table should be more then adequate.  Just keep yourselves moving a long. Maybe even have your event coordinator or your DOC help to keep you moving during this time.

Then do the cake cutting.  Then have the in-law dance where you and your FI start dancing with your in-laws and then after a minute the DJ says "and now X and Y invite you all to join them on the dance floor."  Once the dance ends have your DJ break out the fun dance music.
    I like how you presented the above bolded and will work towards something like that.
  • Options

This timeline has your guests...
    •  Standing  for 30 minutes (5:45-6:20) . I think that's OK. 15 min to mingle, 15 min to stand at the edge of the dance floor while you're announced and dance. That 15 min will seem like a long time to the guests, however. I'd aim to keep it closer to 5 min. 2 min of intros, 3 min for a song to dance to. 
    • Sitting at their tables for 2 hours and 10 minutes (6:20-8:30)! That is WAY too long! 
    • Watching people dance for 15 min (8:30-8:45). 
    • Dancing and mingling for 30 min (8:45-9:15), and then just as they're starting to have fun... 
    • Watching a tradition that many guests are not a fan of, and hoping they won't be singled out and embarrassed, for 5 min
    • Dancing and mingling for an hour and 40 minutes (9:20-11).
  • Options
    @mandymost I totally agree with everything you presented! OP most people don't enjoy many of the "traditions". If you want to do them, that's fine - just find a way to make it take less time :) IMO a receiving line at the end of the ceremony or as guests arrive to reception will take care of a large chunk of time they have to be seated.
  • Options
    This is my suggestion:

Guest arrival- 5:45
    Hall Intro/Announce Party- 6:00
    Cake Cutting- 6:05  Good idea to do this at the beginning of the night so your kitchen staff has time to cut and plate the cake.

Meal Blessing/Dinner begins- 6:10
    Toasts-  As soon as dinner begins 6:12
    Table Visits-  6:30 (Do them all now)  How many ppl are you having at your reception?  30mins- 40mins is plenty of time to do table visits.  You aren't having extended conversations, just thanking ppl for coming, a few pics, then move on.

Dessert is served-  Between 7:00 and 7:10
    1st Dance-   7:00
    Father/Daughter Dance -  7:05
    Mother/Groom Dance-   7:10
    In-Law Dance-  7:15

All of the spotlight dancing can occur while dinner is wrapping up, dessert is being served, dessert is being cleared.

Open Dancing- 7:20
    Bouquet / Garter Toss    10:40
    Last Song & Send Off    10:50

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I would do this:

5:45 - Cocktail "hour"
    6:15 - Introduction and Spotlight Dances (B&G, mother/son, father/daughter)
    6:25 - Prayer
    6:30-6:40 - Toasts while Dinner is being served (under no circumstances should you have more than 10 minutes for toasts. They are toasts - not speeches.)
    7:00 - Table visits
    8:30 - Cut the cake
    8:45 - Garter/bouquet toss (personally, I would skip these all together)
    9:00 - Party time.

A couple of thoughts:

1) If your groom wants to dance with your mom, great. Go ahead. Why does it need to be a spotlight dance? Answer: it doesn't. 
    2) Garter toss - IMHO this is a trashy tradition that reminds me of 90's weddings, it disrupts the dance floor and adds no value. I would skip it.
    3) A receiving line - have you thought about doing this after your ceremony? It would eliminate the need for table visits and open up your timeline A LOT.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would do this:

6:30-6:40 - Toasts while Dinner is being served (under no circumstances should you have more than 10 minutes for toasts. They are toasts - not speeches.)

A couple of thoughts:

1) If your groom wants to dance with your mom, great. Go ahead. Why does it need to be a spotlight dance? Answer: it doesn't. 
    2) Garter toss - IMHO this is a trashy tradition that reminds me of 90's weddings, it disrupts the dance floor and adds no value. I would skip it.
    3) A receiving line - have you thought about doing this after your ceremony? It would eliminate the need for table visits and open up your timeline A LOT.
    How would we do a receiving line?? When people leave the church? We have to be out of the church 1 hr after the ceremony ends.
    Honestly growing up in the 90's, makes us feel like it isn't a wedding without such things as garter, bouquet toss(cheesy I know). I have seen just a bouquet toss before. Will go back to drawing board on this one with my fiance.
  • Options
    futuremrsog15futuremrsog15 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    This is my suggestion:

Cake Cutting- 6:05  Good idea to do this at the beginning of the night so your kitchen staff has time to cut and plate the cake.

Table Visits-  6:30 (Do them all now)  How many ppl are you having at your reception?  30mins- 40mins is plenty of time to do table visits.  You aren't having extended conversations, just thanking ppl for coming, a few pics, then move on.

All of the spotlight dancing can occur while dinner is wrapping up, dessert is being served, dessert is being cleared.

We are expecting 200 guests.
  • Options
    I would do this:

A couple of thoughts:

I think 6:30-9:00 is too long for the guests to just be sitting around, personally.

I'd do all of the spotlight dances towards the end of dinner, and then get everyone on the dance floor.

• Options
    How would we do a receiving line?? When people leave the church? We have to be out of the church 1 hr after the ceremony ends.
    Honestly growing up in the 90's, makes us feel like it isn't a wedding without such things as garter, bouquet toss(cheesy I know). I have seen just a bouquet toss before. Will go back to drawing board on this one with my fiance.
    We had 175 guests and did a receiving line. I don't know for sure, but I don't think it took more than 25 minutes. Conservative estimate.  You just put "receiving line" in your programs and/or have your officiant announce it at the end of the ceremony. You'll stand in the lobby of the church with your FI and people will line up. You'll say "thank you for coming".
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This is my suggestion:

I think you can easily do table visits in 30-45mins then.  People will be sitting in groups of about 8 right?

However, if you go the route of a receiving line after your ceremony, be sure to keep people moving through the line- in my experience they always take for freaking ever because people want to stop and chat with the Bride and Groom.  Your guests should say , "Hi!  Congrats!" and then move along.  If someone tries to be chatting just tell them you are looking forward to talking with them at the reception, then move your attention to the next guest.

Also, I'd only include parents and you and your FI in the receiving line. It's really awkward for your WP and your guests if you include the WP.

• Options
    I think you can easily do table visits in 30-45mins then.  People will be sitting in groups of about 8 right?

However, if you go the route of a receiving line after your ceremony, be sure to keep people moving through the line- in my experience they always take for freaking ever because people want to stop and chat with the Bride and Groom.  Your guests should say , "Hi!  Congrats!" and then move along.  If someone tries to be chatting just tell them you are looking forward to talking with them at the reception, then move your attention to the next guest.

Also, I'd only include parents and you and your FI in the receiving line. It's really awkward for your WP and your guests if you include the WP.
    If she has 8 people per table, that's 25 tables. IMO, I think it would be extremely hard to do less than 2 minutes per table and move around a room large enough to hold 25 tables in 30-45 minutes. Realistically, I think it would take more time than that.

I'm with you 100% on keeping people moving in a receiving line. We had to do this with a few chatty people. It helped to wrap things up by saying something like "ok great, see you in a few at (reception venue)!"

• Options

If she has 8 people per table, that's 25 tables. IMO, I think it would be extremely hard to do less than 2 minutes per table and move around a room large enough to hold 25 tables in 30-45 minutes. Realistically, I think it would take more time than that.

I'm with you 100% on keeping people moving in a receiving line. We had to do this with a few chatty people. It helped to wrap things up by saying something like "ok great, see you in a few at (reception venue)!"
    We are doing tables of 10.
  • Options

How large are your tables and how much stuff are you going to have on them- centerpieces, mirrors, place settings, etc?

In my experience, it's crowded and uncomfortable to seat more than 8 adults at 60" rounds.  You may want to consider limiting it to 8 adults per table.

@Southernbelle0915 you may be right.  I think she could do it, but it would be pushing it. . . and I'd hate to spend an hour+ doing table visits myself, so I think a receiving line is the way to go.

• Options

How large are your tables and how much stuff are you going to have on them- centerpieces, mirrors, place settings, etc? Just a centerpiece vase with flowers, 1/2 tables with short and 1/2 tables with tall.

In my experience, it's crowded and uncomfortable to seat more than 8 adults at 60" rounds.  You may want to consider limiting it to 8 adults per table. We do have a lot of kids invited, our venue suggested the same as you have.

@Southernbelle0915 you may be right.  I think she could do it, but it would be pushing it. . . and I'd hate to spend an hour+ doing table visits myself, so I think a receiving line is the way to go. Thank you both for that suggestion, will run it by my fiance and DOC.
    Bolded reply
  • Options
    H and I did table visits and we had 13 tables (8-9 people per table) and it took us about an hour to hit everyone so approximately 5 minutes per table.  I just don't see being able to do it much faster then that unless you just stop by the table and talk to everyone at once with a quick "thank you everyone for coming", do no pictures, no hugs, etc.  At that point you may as well do a receiving line.  

Both are appropriate but if you don't want to take an hour to hit all your tables then do a receiving line. But if you want to take a bit longer with each person then do table visits.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards