Attire & Accessories Forum

Suggestions for how to smooth out back fat

Hi Ladies,

My dress is strapless and has a corset top. I noticed that I have a little bit of back fat when I wear the dress that makes me somewhat self conscious. My wedding is approximately 2 months away, and I plan to work out to try to work on the problem, but wondered if anyone has additional suggestions. Is there a particular brand or type of bra that helps? I am considering a long line bra, but didn't know if that helped. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thanks.

Lisa

Re: Suggestions for how to smooth out back fat

• Have you had your dress altered?  A proper fitting dress should not give you any back fat issues, that I am aware of anyways.
  • Usually if you have back fat that hangs over your dress it means that your dress is too tight.  Try not doing up the corset as tight.  Or maybe you may need to get the dress let out a bit.

Also, there is no way to spot train an area on your body.  If you lose weight you will lose it all over,  not just your back.

And no, I don't believe a bra will help your problem.  If anything it could make it worse.

• The dress has been altered. However, it is a sample dress that had been discontinued, so I had to buy the size as and it was slightly on the small side.

The alterations have made the dress fit a lot better and the back fat isn't terrible. Everyone I've shown it too doesn't think it's a problem. However, it makes me feel somewhat self conscious.

• Agreed that it may be too tight or you're lacing it too tight. 

Also, sounds super gross, but when you get in the dress, have someone kind of smooth out the skin for you. My dress wasn't too tight, but it kind of pinched the skin together right at the top of the zipper. My mom stuck her fingers in there and loosened it up. Viola. 
  • Do you have room to loosen the corest?  You could even have the top portion of the corset slightly looser but still tighten the bottom portion to help define your waist.  Maybe you should play around with it to see what will work best.

And I am sure what you are seeing seems like this huge amount of back fat, when in fact there really is nothing there to worry about.

• Get a longline bra, and when you get dressed, put the longline bra up above the dress, so like, an inch of the longline bra is showing above the back of the dress.  Lace up your corset, and then have someone get up under your dress and pull the bra down into place.

This sort of "tucks" your back fat into your bra.  It's magical.

• Usually if you have back fat that hangs over your dress it means that your dress is too tight.  Try not doing up the corset as tight.  Or maybe you may need to get the dress let out a bit.

Also, there is no way to spot train an area on your body.  If you lose weight you will lose it all over,  not just your back.

And no, I don't believe a bra will help your problem.  If anything it could make it worse.
    This.  Taking off the bra and having cups sewn in helped my back issue tremendously!
  • Typically when you get the top bulge, it's from tightening the dress too much at the top to prevent slippage. The actual support for a structured strapless bodice should primarily be at the waist. Ask your seamstress to add a waist stay- it's a simple band, almost like a bra strap attached at the inner side seams. That will stop your dress from slipping down, and then you can loosen the top a little.
  • I know this isn't helpful, but perhaps a corset dress wasn't a good choice?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2014
    is it like, muffin top? or a  vertical crease? because corsets are known for making a crease... people who get really into corsets are HAPPY when they get one-- it shows that it's working and they consider it beautiful.  It's kind of hard to avoid no matter how skinny you are. Nature of the beast. If you loosen it, it should be less apparent. 

Dita Von Tease (famous corset wearer... and SO IN SHAPE. still, has a crease, and a little bulge): 

• doeydo said:
    Have you had your dress altered?  A proper fitting dress should not give you any back fat issues, that I am aware of anyways.
    This

Usually if you have back fat that hangs over your dress it means that your dress is too tight.  Try not doing up the corset as tight.  Or maybe you may need to get the dress let out a bit.

And this.

lilacck28 said:
    is it like, muffin top? or a  vertical crease? because corsets are known for making a crease... people who get really into corsets are HAPPY when they get one-- it shows that it's working and they consider it beautiful.  It's kind of hard to avoid no matter how skinny you are. Nature of the beast. If you loosen it, it should be less apparent. 

Dita Von Tease (famous corset wearer... and SO IN SHAPE. still, has a crease, and a little bulge): 

She has a crease because the top is too tight and it's pinching her skin.  She doesn't have back fat per se, as you can see she is slim, but the fir of her corset makes it look as if she kinda does.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• yeah, corset wearers (I'm talking the hard core ones) are into the crease and wearing them super tight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards