Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What Wines/Beers are/did you serve at your wedding?

Our Venue Is allowing us to bring in our own Beer and Wine to serve. We are getting married in Black mountain NC. Just outside of Asheville so the beer option shouldn't be that difficult but the The wine is a little more difficult. I know what I like sweet red and sweet whites, but I would like to serve something my guests like as well, while not spending an arm and a leg for it. We have a small guest list of about 50. So what brand/type of wines did you serve that went over well with your guest? Would also take suggestions on beer as well. We are not having a liquor option. Some people choose wine based on food so we are having a local Asheville burger bar cater with sliders turkey beef and veggie options. Its and outdoor wedding in August 2015 if that matters.

Re: What Wines/Beers are/did you serve at your wedding?

• Popular options for reds are always Cabernet Sauvignon.  Malbec also goes great with burgers.  For whites, I'd stick to Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay (I actually don't like Chardonnay-too dry for me-but it's quite popular).  Kim Crawford makes my favorite Sauv Blanc and its 13.99 at Costco.  I'm probably less picky about my reds, but I do like Catena and Trapiche.  I'd recommend that you find a local wine store that can recommend wines that will fit your menu and budget.
  • We had 4 types of beer (one dark, one "lite", one wheat, and one citrusy summer ale) and then served pinot grigio - white, pinot noir-red (rex goliath brand - about $10 a bottle, so very mid-range for where we live) these both went over well because neither are too dry or too sweet.  We also had white zinfandel and a bubbly red moscato for sweeter options, although we had significantly less of these two than Pinot's.  
  • We are doing beer and wine only, as well. We have chosen 2 reds and 2 whites for the wine from a local SW Virginia winery. One sweet red and one sweet white, as well as Pinot Gris (less sweet than normal Pinot Grigio) and Cabernet Sauvignon. For beer, we are going with Fat Tire and Coors Lite (since FI and I met in Colorado and those are two of our faves) as well as Michaelob ultra.
  • We're getting married at a winery and have beer and wine only as well. I agree that one sweet white and red are good choices. I'd also echo other PPs and say that you should include a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio for a dry white, and a merlot or cab sauv for the dry red. For beer, we're just getting a keg of an amber ale from a local brewery. Not sure if we'll include a keg of a more "mainstream" beer or not. We're only having between 50 and 60 people as well.
  • We're doing beer and sangria.  We live across the street from a great local brewery and my brother in law works for Stone Brewery so we're happy there.  Our reception location is an old Spanish building, hence the sangria.  We'll do a sparkling wine for the toast.
  • For wines we are doing 2 whites and 2 reds: chardonnay, pinot grigio, merlot, and pinot noir. 
    For beer we have bud light (the beer of choice for most of my guests) and also something local: sam adams.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Sounds like you know that most wine drinkers don't prefer sweet wines. I'd keep the bulk of your wines away from the sweet side but pick one you really like and serve that as well. It may not be popular which means you get to keep the extras! (But make the call, especially what you know your friends and family drink when y'all hang out.) 

A suggestion for a festive, sweet red that lots of people may like- try a Lambrusco! It's a sparkling red that is served chilled and would be great for cocktail hour. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards