Chit Chat

Why Do People Do Crappy Things????

I just need to vent, guys!

This morning I get in my car and see a note on my windshield.  I pluck it off and it says "Someone hit you!  I got their licence plate number and I have their car picture on my cell phone.  Call me!" so I get out and see that yeah, some asshat scraped my right quarter panel.  I'm annoyed because I'm already late for an audit.  So I get in the car, text the person to thank them for being an awesome person, and call FI.  

FI reaches out to the witness who says that the woman swerved into me, so he immediately got out the celly and took a picture because "OH HELL NO!".  FI thanks this guy so much, offers him a reward.  Guy won't take it!  Says he'll go to court if he has to.  This woman will be punished!

So I do my audit and as I am driving home I see someone sideswipe a person on the highway the same way someone did it to me.  They just tapped them.  I couldnt get a pic because I was driving, but the car that was tapped immediately took off after the truck that did it.  I call FI at a red light and tell him it is like the wild west out here today.  FI tells me to get home ASAP.

Once home, FI comes out to help me get groceries I bought and the sky just opens up.  It's horrible.  I get inside and FI pours me a glass of wine and I start doing the rest of my work.  When I'm done, I call my local collision center and ask what to do:

GOLD: Someone hit my LEGALLY parked car.  I have a permit.  I wasn't even in it!  I have a witness.
GUY: Okay.  This is classified as a hit and run.  Can you come in to file a report?
GOLD: Ummmm...Gonna level with you.  I had some wine and I don't want to break the law to tell you some chick broke the law.  The damage is purely cosmetic, but I want them to have the crap scared out of them.  They can't get away with this!
GUY: *Laughing*  That's okay.  You come in tomorrow and bring the note your witness wrote.  We will investigate.
GOLD:  I don't want to fix my car (I really dont...  It isnt worth it to file a claim and I will fix it in my own sweet time) I just want this person to know that people are watching and they can't just hit people!  
GUY: No worries!  We will see you tomorrow.

He must have thought I was a lunatic.

The car, the rain, my period, stress.  Today was the worst.

BUT I MUST AVENGE MY CAR!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Why Do People Do Crappy Things????

• Yes! Love that the guy stood up for you! Let us know how it goes. It's seriously crappy to do a hit and run.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The guy even said he'd stand up in court for me.  I was so touched.  He's never met me.  FI wanted to shower him with rewards and he refused them all.  I know I mentioned that in my post but I am in serious awe about it!

I owe it to this stranger to right this wrong.

ETF: Clarity.  I had wine.  I needed wine.

• This post is equal parts "why are people crappy" and "faith in humanity restored."

Enjoy your wine! 

• So the moral of this story is that the witness of the Hit and Run is a saint. I think the title of this post should be, "why do people do really amazing, altruistic things" :-)
    imageimage">
  • So the moral of this story is that the witness of the Hit and Run is a saint. I think the title of this post should be, "why do people do really amazing, altruistic things" :-)
    LOL You're right!  I should focus on the positive!

I told a coworker about this.  She said that this happened to her, only she was the one that did the hitting. She left her card and was worried sick.  When the owener called, she said she'd fix it, name your price.  He said it was fine.  He appreciated that she was honest, and he thanked her for that.

People need to be made accountable.  I am forcing someone to be honest!  The witness will help me :)

• Sorry for the bad day, but Woo Hoo for the helpful stranger... and the wine. It's nice to know there are still some decent people in the world (to balance out the crappy hit and run people).

• That was so awesome that this stranger did this. There truly are some good people out there!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• From me to you, gold -
  • You'll get to the bottom of this Choco! Don't worry, that POS will know that what she did was wrong! Now have some more wine and relax and all will be well. That guy who left you the message is an angel!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you have a license plate of the other party, then you shouldn't have to pay anything and your premium shouldn't go up. The other car's insurance should take care of it (if they have insurance of course!)

• Is anyone else wondering if the witness maybe actually did it and was covering up? Or am I the only one that cynical? Yay wine!
  • kla728 said:
    Is anyone else wondering if the witness maybe actually did it and was covering up? Or am I the only one that cynical? Yay wine!
    I just don't think like that. :(  That would be sad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yay for the witness and the wine!

Funny story about a hit and run though - FI was at work (works at a bank) and had a customer in his office. Guy was old, probably in his 80s. All of a sudden guy's cell phone starts ringing like crazy; FI tells him to go ahead and answer it. Guy answers the phone, confirms who he is and then says to FI "they want to talk to you" and hands FI the phone. Turns out it's the cops because the guy in FI's office side swiped a car in the parking lot of the bank. They asked FI to walk out with the guy when they were finished. FI goes out into the parking lot - old man had scraped the ENTIRE passenger side of the car parked next him and didn't even realize it when he pulled into the parking spot. Completely oblivious.

• kla728 said:
    Is anyone else wondering if the witness maybe actually did it and was covering up? Or am I the only one that cynical? Yay wine!
    I just don't think like that. :(  That would be sad.
    The accident investigation people would quickly figure it out I think, lol.  I'm a cynic too and wondered about that for a second after I read that :)

• We saw someone hit and run a parked car.  It was as they were leaving from the Rodeo, so pretty sure they had been drinking.  Don't know why they drove away though, cos there were 5 of standing right in font of their car.  Anyway, gave the plate to RCMP and hopefully they nailed him for both hit and run and DUI

• I filed my report and it takes 7-10 days to get word back on what the asshole was thinking.  I let my witness know.

Funny enough, I did overhear a convo a cop was having with people that leave notes on windshields and take pics of cars in the area, throwing them under the bus so they look like awesome people while some poor soul now has to iron out the kinks of a false accusation, just like you guys mentioned.  I certainly hope this will not be the case in my circumstance!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards