Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Choosing Venu for Reception: Need some input

Hi there! We are getting married in Austin, Texas. Neither of us are from Texas. My guy is in the Army stationed at Fort Hood. He is from California and I am from Minnesota. We are a in our early 30's and are keeping it a very small wedding in Texas. We are having our wedding at Chapel Dulcinea, which is this cute outdoor chapel up on a huge hill overlooking the start of Hill Country. It is gorgeous! So excited! However, I am so torn on venues.....we narrowed it down to two options. We are keeping it simple and a bit non-traditional in many ways. We just want to provide our family a great weekend together. We are looking at renting some rustic ranches for our families to stay in as well and will have a family dinner at one of the ranches on Friday night.

So our contenders:

1. Franklin BBQ which is 21 miles away from the Chapel, downtown Austin. It is rated #1 BBQ in the USA right now. We can rent the entire place out and it includes brisket, ribs, turkey breast, sausage, pulled pork with sides of slaw, potato salad and beans. It also includes a flat price with alcohol and pies! Yum! We can have a small duo play music but, it seats a max of 66. We are having maybe 30 folks. I think it would be so awesome and nice to give our guests the best in Texas. I am a bit worried about it being so far away though. It would be a very fun and unconventional way of a wedding party I think.

or

2. Trattoria Lisina which is 10 miles away from the Chapel. It is set on a winery and is a nice Italian restaurant that would be a bit more fancier. A four course family style meal. We aren't allowed music inside the restaurant. It has a minimum set price but everything is included (alcohol also) as long as you don't go over the minimum. Advantage is it is right by the Chapel and would be a little bit fancier. This would be more of your classic setting.

So as a guest what would you prefer if you had never been to Austin, Texas? Italian in a winery setting or BBQ in the heart of Austin? I love both either way. Just would love to hear some opinions from a guest perspective. Thank you! :)

Re: Choosing Venu for Reception: Need some input

• I think it depends on the feel you want for your wedding. Casual (#1) or formal (#2)?

Personally, if I had never been to Texas, I'd for sure want to try some authentic Texas BBQ - especially from the #1 rated place in the US. That sounds awesome to me and it's something different you don't normally get at a wedding. You know your crowd though...
    *********************************************************************************

• Well I had BBQ, so I'm biased. About how long does it take to drive those 21 miles?
  • Probably 30 minutes rougly, depending on traffic and its downtown which logistically isn't my favorite for our of towners

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2014
    I'd probably prefer BBQ, unless you think your family dinner might also be BBQ (I'm from MN, too, we have wineries and Italian food here, but we lack really good BBQ).  However, I would not prefer the 30 minute drive if I were not familiar with Austin at all (and since neither of you are originally from TX, I'm assuming it will be mostly out of towners?).

Since I'm assuming restaurant = mostly set start and end time and not an all night dance party where some may go all night and some may checkout early, could you maybe arrange in your budget to provide the transportation?  Since it's only 30 people, maybe a mini-bus or shuttle?  Especially since it appears they are going to all be staying at the same place that night, anyway?
  • Thank you! That is what I was thinking about looking at was transportation. I think it would be the easiest way to get them to and from. Yeah, BBQ is not in the Minnesota realm but BBQ as in backyard get together is...haha I was thinking of maybe doing more of a Tex Mex kind of shin dig Friday night. I found a lady at a farmer's market that makes amazing Tamales, figured I could do some fresh salads and maybe a taco or fajita set up.

I really wasn't looking forward to planning a wedding, the only aspect I care about is marrying my sweetheart. The rest is kind of a headache and it is so easy to start to worry whether things are good enough for your guests without giving up what you want. Thank you all for your input!

• Oh my goodness, tamales on Friday and BBQ on Saturday would make me a very happy wedding guest!
  • Unless your are definitely providing a shuttle, I'd pick the trattoria. I would estimate 45min for the 21mile drive through Austin to account for midday traffic. Not sure what time you're holding the wedding ceremony but there's likely to be some traffic.

As a guest I'd prefer the following: attending your wedding ceremony early afternoon with lunch at the Italian winery and then an after party with music, drinks and Tamales. (Instead of the shinding the night before.)

Also Tamales and BBQ are both out of the norm for your guests. These are heavily spiced dishes and can lead to horrible digestive issues. I'd keep it to hosting one or the other, and leave up to them if they want to venture out and try it on their own.
  • I really wasn't looking forward to planning a wedding, the only aspect I care about is marrying my sweetheart. The rest is kind of a headache and it is so easy to start to worry whether things are good enough for your guests without giving up what you want. Thank you all for your input!

I totally feel you there! The actual wedding is probably my least favorite part of my wedding, lol.

Really, so long as you provide food and drink and seats your guests are happy to just come and celebrate with you. It can be as big or as lavish (or as small and as "plain") as you want it! You don't have to provide a "wow" factor if it doesn't feel right. You could take them all out to the local diner for all they care!
  • You gave me a good thought for a funny gift.....Tums ;)
  • Unless your are definitely providing a shuttle, I'd pick the trattoria. I would estimate 45min for the 21mile drive through Austin to account for midday traffic. Not sure what time you're holding the wedding ceremony but there's likely to be some traffic.

As a guest I'd prefer the following: attending your wedding ceremony early afternoon with lunch at the Italian winery and then an after party with music, drinks and Tamales. (Instead of the shinding the night before.)

Also Tamales and BBQ are both out of the norm for your guests. These are heavily spiced dishes and can lead to horrible digestive issues. I'd keep it to hosting one or the other, and leave up to them if they want to venture out and try it on their own.
    I know this is beside the point, but I just feel the need to dispel the notion that tamales is outside of the norm for the MN peeps (and quite possibly the CA peeps, too) or that heavily spiced is outside the norm for either.  MN, especially the Twin Cities is extremely diverse.  We have a very large Hispanic population here (in addition to the largest Somali population in the US, as well as Hmong and numerous other SE Asian populations here) and we have a lot of quality Mexican food here.  And the more rural areas actually have quality Mexican and other Latin American cuisine, too, thanks to the large migrant worker population that comes in the summer and in some cases end up settling here year round.  I will assume that most of CA is equally diverse.

So, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent for serving both, OP.  Sure, we have the Lutheran hotdish stereotype, but I think your typical Minnesotan can handle barbecue and tamales.  And since this is a fairly small wedding, I'm sure you know the eating preferences of pretty much everyone attending (we just can't get GOOD BBQ here, darn it!).
  • jacques27 said:
    Unless your are definitely providing a shuttle, I'd pick the trattoria. I would estimate 45min for the 21mile drive through Austin to account for midday traffic. Not sure what time you're holding the wedding ceremony but there's likely to be some traffic.

I know this is beside the point, but I just feel the need to dispel the notion that tamales is outside of the norm for the MN peeps (and quite possibly the CA peeps, too) or that heavily spiced is outside the norm for either.  MN, especially the Twin Cities is extremely diverse.  We have a very large Hispanic population here (in addition to the largest Somali population in the US, as well as Hmong and numerous other SE Asian populations here) and we have a lot of quality Mexican food here.  And the more rural areas actually have quality Mexican and other Latin American cuisine, too, thanks to the large migrant worker population that comes in the summer and in some cases end up settling here year round.  I will assume that most of CA is equally diverse.

So, I wouldn't let that be a deterrent for serving both, OP.  Sure, we have the Lutheran hotdish stereotype, but I think your typical Minnesotan can handle barbecue and tamales.  And since this is a fairly small wedding, I'm sure you know the eating preferences of pretty much everyone attending (we just can't get GOOD BBQ here, darn it!).

Ya der hey - but remember to factor in yer guests and if they're Lutefisk loving with a side of tater tot or green bean hot dish (you know cause it'd be rude to choose Aunt Lena's over Cousin Sven's!) types - Only you know your guests best. 

While the IDEA of BBQ sounds wonderful and a "must" for the trip - That'd be what I'd opt for the rehearsal, I'd be terrified of a messy food for the actual reception.  The last thing I'd want to do is be all dressed up (even if you say casual people still dress up), and end up getting drips of something all over.  As for the random person from the farmer's market, food code might be different depending on the situation - those would be my LAST choice..

The other factor is indoor/outdoor venue and the time of year/temperatures. 

Trust your instincts knowing YOUR guests and which they'll like more!

• jacques27 said:
    Unless your are definitely providing a shuttle, I'd pick the trattoria. I would estimate 45min for the 21mile drive through Austin to account for midday traffic. Not sure what time you're holding the wedding ceremony but there's likely to be some traffic.

I wasn't suggesting these states aren't diverse and you can't find this type of food there. I admit I should have used "may be" instead of "are" in my comment since I don't know these people. I was simply generalizing. I think it's fair to say Tamales isn't a normal staple in most US households. 

• I am out in Utah for pharmacy school and you ladies just made my day! :) I had a good giggle....got to love Minnesota!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards