Wedding 911

Deployment and wedding programs

Alssmj0913Alssmj0913 member
edited August 2014 in Wedding 911
My wedding is in 17 days (AHHHHHH!!) and I just found out my brother, who is supposed to be a groomsman has a major possibility of deployment right before the wedding. We don't want to replace him as a groomsman so we are keeping his name in the program. I'm not sure if we should say he is deployed so people don't wonder where he is when there is a guy missing up front, or if we should not say anything because it is not 100%. Any ideas? I'm sure others have dealt with this before (it super sucks by the way) and I'm just looking for some ideas!

Avery

Re: Deployment and wedding programs

• manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2014
    My wedding is in days (AHHHHHH!!) and I just found out my brother, who is supposed to be a groomsman has a major possibility of deployment days before the wedding. We don't want to replace him as a groomsman so we are keeping his name in the program. I'm not sure if we should say he is deployed so people don't wonder where he is when there is a guy missing up front, or if we should not say anything because it is not 100%. Any ideas? I'm sure others have dealt with this before (it super sucks by the way) and I'm just looking for some ideas!

Avery
    H had three groomsman unable to make it due to deployments and TDY's. We decided to leave their names in the program because they were still groomsmen to us whether they could be there or not. I had one person ask me what happened to the three guys, I said "Army deployment" and they said, "oh, too bad" and moved along. No big deal. People might ask, but it wont matter.

One of my BM's was the wife of a deployed GM; she cried when she saw his name in the program and sent him a picture of it. I think it meant a lot to them.

I'm sorry your brother wont be there. Wishing him a safe return home.

ETA: For OPSEC reasons, I'd remove the specific dates in your post. Too easy for someone to do the math and figure out deployment dates.
  • I'd XP this to the Military Brides board, maybe they can help you out.
  • I think you should just leave it most of your family will know and those who dont will probably hear about it someway or another at the wedding you could even include him in the prayer if you do one. Good luck to him. And thank him for his job.
  • My brother was deployed three days before my wedding.  Because we didn't do programs, the only time it was acknowledged was when we made our grand entrance to our reception.  The DJ announced the bridal party, then said my brother was also a groomsman and explained why he couldn't be there, and then continued on with the rest of our entrance.  My brother got an ovation, despite not being there, which we filmed and sent to him, so he could see that he was missed.  He really appreciated that.
  • I'd leave in program to honor him, then offer something special in his honor--a toast to his safe homecoming, an announcement during entrance like @nymeru said, or another special way to acknowledge and thank him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards