Chit Chat

Wedding extras- opinions needed

Our venue's price person cost includes a basic meal and open bar. None of the liquor is top shelf nor is the beer or wine high-end but we have the ability to bring in our own supplies to supplement as we wish. If we bring in our own stuff, they'll serve that until they run out then switch to their own supplies.

We have decided to include passed apps during the happy hour. The venue coordinator thinks it's unnecessary but we decided to go for it.

We're doing the more expensive dinner option- buffet - to accommodate picky eaters, younger kids, and dietary restrictions. Dinner will include salad and rolls (from a ridiculously amazing bakery!), prime rib, roasted bone-in chicken breast, some sort of veggie (I think we decided on green beans almondine with the beans on the side), and a carb. They recommend baked mostaccoli but I'm thinking rice pilaf. If we have the budget, I'll also include a vegetarian pasta dish that also makes a good side. I'm thinking something with pesto. Maybe add another veggie as well.

We're doing a smaller cake for cutting but grossly over-ordered on the sheetcakes. Both families love cake and we thought extras with different flavors are ideal.

We were originally thinking about bringing in pizza (combination of Chicago-style and pan) for a late-night snack but the woman at the venue is convinced that it's way too much food. Is it worth including?

Should we upgrade booze instead? We're also getting lots of recommendations that we do signature drinks, though we haven't mentioned it to the venue yet.

We have the budget for pizza or booze but not both.

Recommendations? Or ideas for another place to put our extra money?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Wedding extras- opinions needed

• How late is your reception running?  The pizza thing sounds fun, but it may be too much.   You can never go wrong with upgrading the booze!
  • Aa a guest I'd rather have the booze than the food. I think this is a know your crowd thing. Which would your friends and family prefer? Will they really notice the upgraded booze or would they be perfectly happy with what the venue offers? Are they big eaters or will the pizza just sit there and go to waste?

• I'd upgrade the booze. You've got tons of food during cocktail hour and dinner and so much cake.
  • I don't drink alcohol and I still vote for the alcohol. I just think apps, dinner, and cake are always plenty and I'm always stuffed so pizza sounds like a waste.

• Personally I'd rather have the booze than the food, because I like really good vodka and pizza isn't my jam. But I don't think the pizza would be TOO MUCH food if that's what you want. This is definitely a know-your-crowd thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Booooooze. Especially if they'd let you take home anything you brought that doesn't get used.

• How many guests? I feel it really wouldn't be too much food... But we eat a lot.

But I kinda am leaning towards booze.

image   image   image

• BOOZE.

But this is coming from the girl who is having a glass of chardonnay on her lunch break.
    Anniversary

• Booze, always booze.
  • booze

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think Chicago style pizza would force people to sit back down to eat, its kinda messy (and now I'm craving some Lou's lol) It might slow your dancing/partying atmosphere down a little bit. If you opt for the midnight snack, maybe get something that's easier to eat.

• No honeymoon. It's completely outside of our budget and both FI and FSS (who lives with us) are in school. We're hoping to take one next summer.

We're at around 180 guests. About 20 are too young to drink and we probably have 15 who are 80+.

The ceremony is at 5:30 and should be over by 5:50. Happy hour immediately following and the bar is open all night.

My family drinks a lot of wine and would want upgraded wine - but don't drink hard liquor. His family only drinks hard liquor but typically really cheap shit. Also, they don't drink much.

We get to keep anything we buy that isn't served. Once they run out of our stuff, they switch to theirs. Which is nice because it means that they can switch to cheaper shit once they're too drunk know the difference.

I guess my fear is that our menu looks too cheap and embarrassing. My family is used to $80K weddings for 150 people (not my immediate family). His family is used to $8K weddings for 300.

It sounds like the consensus is to put money towards booze.

So, if I go that way, what would people recommend buying, knowing that there's already stock?

I was thinking 2-3 cases of white, 2 cases of red, fucktons of hard liquor. Not sure on beer since we have very few heavy beer drinkers. Or could I just make myself happy and only buy sparkling goodness, spirits, and beer.

Thoughts?
  • I'd rather have more/better booze than late night food.  If you watch Four Weddings (I know, stupid show where they judge weddings) they always hate weddings with too much food and waste. 
  • doeydo said:
    I'd rather have more/better booze than late night food.  If you watch Four Weddings (I know, stupid show where they judge weddings) they always hate weddings with too much food and waste. 
    I totally agree. But I watch too much and also worry about complaints about the lack of selection at dinner. That's what keeps throwing me off!
  • You have a great selection of food.

I'd put the money towards upgraded wine, since that is what is important to your family. If FIs family is fine drinking x brand whiskey and vodka that happens to be on the venues normal list, fabulous.

image   image   image

• RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    I'm going to be the rebel and say put it into adding to the dinner menu instead.  It really is a know your crowd thing, and from what you've said about it, you'd be mainly upgrading the hard liquor for people who usually drink cheap stuff, and may or may not be able to appreciate the difference. Can you just make sure you have the brands (of all alcohol) that your guests drink, and then put the rest towards extra choices on the buffet?  Add the extra veggies, a yummy starch, put the veggie option in for everyone, add something else, etc. Personally, I'd appreciate more variety at dinner than I would special booze or a midnight snack.

And good call on doing the passed apps, since you have drinkers and you know what happens when you drink on an empty stomach.
  • Go for alcohol. Pizza sounds yummy, but extra alcohol though...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had waaaaaaay too much food, passed apps, buffet, candy buffet, dessert buffet...that said, people still gorged on the late night snack.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I don't think you need to upgrade anything, but if you want to spend the money I would put it towards the buffet. Your menu now is very standard and kinda limited- I would definitely add another vegetable, look into having salad served at the table as an appetizer, have a potato in addition to rice pilaf, and a substantial vegetarian dish , not just pasta and veggies. I don't think pizza adds much, and your current alcohol selection seems fine to me.
  • I don't think you need to upgrade anything, but if you want to spend the money I would put it towards the buffet. Your menu now is very standard and kinda limited- I would definitely add another vegetable, look into having salad served at the table as an appetizer, have a potato in addition to rice pilaf, and a substantial vegetarian dish , not just pasta and veggies. I don't think pizza adds much, and your current alcohol selection seems fine to me.
    This is a good idea. A served salad would be really good and a nice, healthy addition.
    *********************************************************************************

• Your menu isn't cheap looking at all. Add a nice potato or risotto dish, and you're golden. I have cleaned up after too damned many weddings, and there have always, always been leftovers. (I presently have enough penne w vodka sauce, ravioli bolognese, and fettuccini Alfredo in my my fridge to eat for a month.) Skip the pizza.
    Alcohol is fine. Fact: Even when people insist they can taste the difference, maybe maybe maybe 1 out of 30 can actually identify their own brand. Save the money. 
  • I'm feeling so much better. Thank you!

I was already planning on doing some sort of upgrade to the buffet, just wasn't sure yet. I like the idea of a served salad. I'll have to see if that's an option.

I really want ravioli bolognese right now.....
  • Late to the party - but definitely booze!  I've never stayed at a wedding late enough to see a late snack. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards