Chit Chat

Clothing of my youth

I work in an area with a huge hipster population. There's a cute indy coffee shop next door that I frequently visit and I've noticed a trend:

The girls working behind the counter (and I say girls because they look like kids) are wearing my high school wardrobe.

I've long been giggling over the babydoll dresses, slip dresses over t-shirts, chokers, and random flannels. I was dismissive of the Converse and Doc Martens.

Today a line was crossed: Doc Martens, a floral babydoll, and a ratty grampa sweater (they have crazy AC). One girl even had fake daisies in her hair.

I'm waiting to see Hypercolor t-shirts, Umbros, crushed velvet, and overalls (one strap only, please!) soon!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Clothing of my youth

• I went into Forever 21 not long ago, and I was shocked at how much 90s style clothing there was. 

I pretty much lived in flannels, band t-shirts and Doc Martens in HS. I think it's cool to see some of those styles come back. But, as an old lady in my mid 30s, it sucks that I can't partake in it. 
  • My 13-year old sister told me before school started that she needed to shopping for a new flannel shirt.  I really wished I had my 1995 closet for her.

• FWIW, I have seen a lot of overalls...

• I've seen overalls in Target and Marshalls, which means they've been back for a while now. My reaction?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had a red flannel tied around my waist over light frayed cutoff shorts, worn with a pair of vans. This was the t-shirt I wore with that ensemble:

First concert tee, from my first concert at age 11.

I also had a brown plaid babydoll and knockoff docs.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• lurkergirllurkergirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I wore an outfit like this for much longer than I care to admit.  With Birkenstocks.  <<<shudder>>>

ETA That pic was really easy to find and is not from the '90s.  So they are definitely back.  Ugh.

• I'm just glad I haven't seen uggs and short shorts lately.
  • I love how high waisted short shorts are all in fashion.

FI said, 'Why are there more shorts above her vagina than below it?'
  • Yeah, this is all over the place.  I started high school in 2001 so the 90's clothes are more of a middle-school throwback for me.  I definitely had overalls, lots of floral prints, and so many scrunchies.  So all the cool college kids walking around in that stuff just look 11 years old to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Class of '97 here so I wore it all...

I was a particular fan of babydoll dresses with patterned tights.

• I grew up in the 80's.     So yeah, I don't want to go back there.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm just glad I haven't seen uggs and short shorts lately.
    you must not have seen my fb profile picture, then.  ;)
  • I went into Forever 21 not long ago, and I was shocked at how much 90s style clothing there was. 

I pretty much lived in flannels, band t-shirts and Doc Martens in HS. I think it's cool to see some of those styles come back. But, as an old lady in my mid 30s, it sucks that I can't partake in it. 
    THIS IS MY SISTER. And cat tees. She has a few of those. 

I never wore any of this because I was in the 5th grade in 1999 and had absolutely zero clothes-purchasing power because I liked to put together plaid and polka dots.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am all about some babydoll dresses, because they hit me in the right place to make me look thinner. But overalls are for mechanics and farmers.
    eyeroll
  • I owned overalls, stirrup spandex (except the loose kind), flannels, chokers, umbros, cut off denim, scrunchies, neon frame sunglasses, and rocked the side ponytail. Picture that...

When I see "kids these days" wearing that shit, I feel a mixture of justification for my terrible style choices and major embarrassment. 

I was at Nordstrom this weekend and saw cuffed denim shorts with attached denim suspenders (kind of like overalls w/o the bib. They were $80. I left the store shaking my head.
    *********************************************************************************

• Don't forget bodysuits! I had like 90 of these. 

• I work in an area with a huge hipster population. There's a cute indy coffee shop next door that I frequently visit and I've noticed a trend:

The girls working behind the counter (and I say girls because they look like kids) are wearing my high school wardrobe.

I've long been giggling over the babydoll dresses, slip dresses over t-shirts, chokers, and random flannels. I was dismissive of the Converse and Doc Martens.

Today a line was crossed: Doc Martens, a floral babydoll, and a ratty grampa sweater (they have crazy AC). One girl even had fake daisies in her hair.

I'm waiting to see Hypercolor t-shirts, Umbros, crushed velvet, and overalls (one strap only, please!) soon!
    My 20yo sister wore this as her cover up at the beach this summer!!! The best part was the horrible one strap tan line she got. BAHAHAHAHAHAH

Anniversary
  • So.... can I dig out some old DeLiA*s catalogs and start ordering again???

I have to hang my head in shame. When OP said "my high school wardrobe" I pictured my private school uniform and thought, "Why the heck would kids be wearing that ugly-ass school sweater..."

It's due to wearing uniforms all my life that I had zero fashion sense. My sister rocked the babydolls, flannel, and don't forget the baha sweater!

• Polyester double knit, anyone?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

• So.... can I dig out some old DeLiA*s catalogs and start ordering again???

I have to hang my head in shame. When OP said "my high school wardrobe" I pictured my private school uniform and thought, "Why the heck would kids be wearing that ugly-ass school sweater..."

It's due to wearing uniforms all my life that I had zero fashion sense. My sister rocked the babydolls, flannel, and don't forget the baha sweater!

My local mall has a Delia's store (!), and my aforementioned little sister shops there.  It's like she's reliving my past fashion life.  And I was just about her age when all those things were cool then.  It's really a shame I didn't save any of those clothes.  I cringe a little when I see her in her Forever 21 replicas.

• You know Jackie on the 70s show? Bitch stole my high school wardrobe. Sometimes down to the identical item, and my mom and sister used to call me during the show, and say, do you see your black rose print dress? or, Jackie's wearing your coat! 
    A lot.
  • I lived in kindergoth. I'll leave it at that.

I still wear big ass black boots daily, but I actually need the composite toed work boots now.
  • My mom had this daisy patterned maternity dress that she wore a lot when she was pregnant with my little sister in the mid 90s. My hipster sister now wears the dress with a belt (she's basically a size 0).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards