Chit Chat

Planning a Vintage, Great Gatsby-inspired Wedding...

Hey fellow Knotties! 

I'm planning a Great Gatsby-inspired wedding for July 18. I have a few ideas but I'm looking for more suggestions. I started an inspiration board here: http://www.pinterest.com/tinyterror1369/wedding-inspiration . Any help is appreciated! My colors so far are black, white and gold if that helps at all. 

Thanks! 

Re: Planning a Vintage, Great Gatsby-inspired Wedding...

• My big suggestion is just to not go overboard.

Find an art-deco inspired wedding gown, feel free to have it in a luxurious, glitzy venue, etc. but just don't take the Gatsby theme too literal.  I think weddings like this can be beautiful, but themed weddings can also become kitschy if you're not careful.  Good luck!

SaveSave
  • Yeah I would call it a jazz age or 1920's theme and just not mention The Great Gatsby.  Unless two people are going to die and the romance isn't going to work out, you're not basing your wedding off the story, you're just basing it off the time period.  It's just not a happy story to associate with a wedding.  a 1920's theme wedding is great, just don't call it a Gatsby themed wedding.
  • This is a pretty 1920's gatsby-esque wedding.

www.stylemepretty.com/2013/12/27/1920s-inspired-healdsburg-wedding/

• Those are some pretty photos!  I do like the 1920s wedding dress.

My other concern would be to make sure not to dictate dress.  The only clothing you can monitor is your own and the wedding party's, and if you want 1920s hair/make-up/jewelry, you need to provide it or make it optional.  You can't require that your wedding party buy all the accessories... only the dress/suit/tux.

And don't require your guests to wear 1920s clothing.  It's great if they want to, but no one should feel forced to wear a costume to your wedding.

I like the 1920s elements, and I'm a sucker for beautiful photos, but just make sure to remember that your guests aren't props, so you can't force them to fit into your theme.

SaveSave
  • Did you come from Wedding Wire....?
  • Or just trollin' trollin' trollin'
  • I saw that SMP featured wedding and thought it was totally overdone to the point it looked costume-y.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    This is your wedding, not a costume party.  It doesn't need a theme.  It isn't a prom.
    If you are familiar with the Great Gatsby, you should understand that the party scene was a negative look at the excesses of the times.  Not something to be copied for a wedding.  Please don't do this.
    Unfortunately, this is the current rage, and is being done to death.  So many brides think it would be cute.  Ugh.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    This is your wedding, not a costume party.  It doesn't need a theme.  It isn't a prom.
    If you are familiar with the Great Gatsby, you should understand that the party scene was a negative look at the excesses of the times.  Not something to be copied for a wedding.  Please don't do this.
    Unfortunately, this is the current rage, and is being done to death.  So many brides think it would be cute.  Ugh.
    OP is a troll my friend. This isn't a real question.
  • I've decided on an Art Deco theme and found almost everything I want. 
  • I am thinking of having a gatsby themed wedding and I WILL be requiring a dress code. It's her wedding if she wants everyone to partake in the fun an uniqueness of such a fabulous era she has every right to. If the invited guests don't like it, they don't need to come. 
  • Do you have a board set up at all? I LOVE the 20's and am considering doing that as well. I need all the help I can get lol.
  • I am thinking of having a gatsby themed wedding and I WILL be requiring a dress code. It's her wedding if she wants everyone to partake in the fun an uniqueness of such a fabulous era she has every right to. If the invited guests don't like it, they don't need to come. 
    Why would you be so rude to your guests?  Why would you try to control their clothing?  Nobody has the right to tell other adults they must match the decorations.  When you start putting your theme over the comfort and proper treatment of your guests you're heading down the wrong path.

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    So at what point are you going to get hit by a car and have your boob ripped off? After the ceremony? Halfway through the reception?

Will your FI show up to the party or just watch from a balcony while you celebrate your marriage?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragain said:
    That's because the current rage is to never crack open a damn book. 

I'm crabby today.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I know this was started in December, and by now it's probably all handed, but oh well.

Unlike most people here, I actually don't hate the Gatsby themed weddings. I see it as more of a 1920's feel, not as a cheating, over-indulgent, ends in murder type of theme. But asking your guests to follow a dress code is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but there's no way you're wedding is important enough to require a dress code like this for entry. It's not like your venue is requiring men to wear jackets or anything. You're expecting most of your guests to purchase new attire, which I only do for weddings if it's a REALLY close friend or family member. Many guests may even try to find something, but not fully understand the dress code. They will either wear the wrong thing, or they will just not show up at all. 
    Yeah, maybe you should actually read the book before you choose this as your theme. 

And for the love of god, your wedding shouldn't be a costume party. Why would you make your guests go out and purchase themed attire (that they will NEVER wear again) for one freaking day. Please. 
  • Do you have a board set up at all? I LOVE the 20's and am considering doing that as well. I need all the help I can get lol.
    There is no board for a Great Gatsby themed wedding. You could try starting a thread in "Reception Ideas" or "DIY" if you're doing stuff yourself. 

On a side note, this thread is from 2013. If you want to start a new thread about your themed wedding, it's better to do so than digging up old ones. @lyndausvi - zombie thread.
    *********************************************************************************

Yeah, maybe you should actually read the book before you choose this as your theme. 

And for the love of god, your wedding shouldn't be a costume party. Why would you make your guests go out and purchase themed attire (that they will NEVER wear again) for one freaking day. Please. 
    ^^ This !

I chose a similar color scheme of black gold ivory and wine for my wedding next month. I love art deco and my invitations reflected that. Nothing else screams 1920s. You can add touches of what you like, like PPs mentioned with the dress and invitations. But please don't force your guests to wear costumes! As CMGragain stated, weddings don't necessarily NEED a theme. Add things you like but don't take it too literally!
  • This thread is from December @lyndausvi

• edited September 2014
    Do you have a board set up at all? I LOVE the 20's and am considering doing that as well. I need all the help I can get lol.
    There is a board - the Retro and Vintage Weddings board. It's not super active, but you can use the search bar on the right side to look for info on your theme or time period.

Just don't go asking questions on old thread to brides who aren't around to see the. If you have questions or discussion you'd like to share, post a new thread :)

And don't have a dress code - it's rude and lame. You can mention by word of mouth that you'll be wearing 1920's vintage styling, and others are welcome to join in the time period fun if they wish.

GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I've decided on an Art Deco theme and found almost everything I want. 

So what does that mean exactly?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards