Chit Chat

Dressing up to travel: yea or nay? Also, how do you entertain yourself?

Re: Dressing up to travel: yea or nay? Also, how do you entertain yourself?

• I just can't get on board with wearing my 'schlep around the house' clothes (or PJs) to the airport for a flight somewhere (anywhere) because...I'm not schlepping around the house, I'm going into public and going somewhere where people will see me. It's important to me that I look nice when I go out, even if it's just to an airport full of people who will never see me again. I care about the image I put forth to people, and I'll own that outright. I can't grasp the idea of not caring.

So yeah, I'm wearing jeans or khakis, a cute top or tank/tee/cardigan/sweater combo, and closed toed shoes (had a flight attendant warn me one time what happens to sandal-clad feet when you have to emergency evacuate, and it's something you don't want to picture).  I'll almost always wear Dansko clogs on the flight, because they're really too bulky to pack, slip on and off with no chair or hands needed, and they're excellent walking shoes once I'm where I need to go. And, if my jeans are too tight to be comfortable on a couple hour flight, then I need new jeans, not more casual pants.  I was raised in a very formal family that had pretty strict standards of what's appropriate to wear in public, and those standards have stuck around. I can't even go to the drugstore at midnight for NyQuil when I'm sick without putting on jeans, a fresh t-shirt, a bra, concealer, and deodorant, and brushing my teeth and hair. I've just in the past couple years been able to go to the grocery store without makeup on. I get the comfort issue, but it still baffles me that no one can be comfortable in khakis and a cotton top.

As for entertainment, I can't sleep sitting up (must be fully reclined) or on any moving vehicle, so I'll have a loaded tablet with me (plus charger), a couple of trashy magazines, and my phone with music and earbuds. I might try to watch the movie, depending on what it is, but I'm usually not interested.

I once got stuck in the security line behind a chick wearing skin-tight denim booty shorts and gold over-the-knee lace up gladiator sandals. The shorts were so tight she couldn't bend over to unlace the sandals without risking an explosion, so even I don't understand how she expected to sit down long enough for takeoff, let alone through a flight.  Plus the sandals...every person in line plus all the security staff had a big huge WTF moment over that one. Chick 'didn't think they'd really make her take them off'.  She was running late for her flight, too. 
  • chibiyui said:

I work retail, and I work in a mall.

I judge everybody.

How else would I keep my haughty sense of superiority?

This.

It's my JOB to tell you that what you're wearing isn't good/cool/hip/expensive/[insert brand here]-y enough.
  • I never wear sweats or PJs in public, and never on a plane. 
    Seriously, I want upgrades. You can miss out on upgrades by looking sloppy. Long flights? I throw a pair of yoga pants in my carryon so I can change for bedtime.
    The exception to the no PJs is for British Air, Air France, Cathay Pacific, airlines that actually give complimentary PJs to their first class passengers. They're ugly, but hell yes, souvenir PJs! What a hoot. 

(No, I can't afford 1st class, typically. Worked for major airlines, and always deliberately choose flights with empty seats in 1st, and know how to work my air miles when I'm actually paying. I'm like a little kid about first class. Wooohooooo! Flat bed seats! Down comforters! Desert cart! Pajamas! Free wine! It was a great few years and the kids were spoiled. They thought that airport was their personal bus stop. First class to Disneyland, whenever. Sometimes, I miss the airline industry.)
    That's what ppl claim and yet I also know ppl who claim to have been given upgrades while wearing sweats, so I don't buy it.

The concept also makes no logical sense and seems out right discriminatory too, if you think about it.  Why base upgrades on style of dress?  I don't get it.
    Nice or not, discriminatory or not, it happens. 

Not just guessing here, many years working for airlines. 

Not paid upgrades, or card holder upgrades, but random we can sell our last coach seats if we move someone to first and other incidental upgrades, or coach is overbooked, and we need to make room. The very last time I flew to MSY, not long ago, there were six people waiting for assigned seating. Moosey and I, dressed and polished, went into first class. Principessa used to fly LAX/SEA almost monthly, and had about 60% free upgrade record. 

Sure, the gate agents judge. You bet we do. You wouldn't believe the crap people do on planes. (I sat next to some cretin who actually started clipping his toenails in public.)

When you dress up to go out in public, you're sending a clear message that you care about the impression you make, and you care what other people think of you. 
    When somebody's clothes say "I don't give a shit, and I'm not making any effort," that's the impression they give. (I know this isn't universally true, and nice people wear pajamas, but clothes send messages, and it's silly to pretend they don't. Or you'd wear PJs to interviews.)

But which person do I choose to seat next to a high paying, regular, frequent traveler? It's a no brainer. Not just a guess or theory. Actual experience from both in front of and behind the counter. (I've also upgraded honeymooners, cause they're adorable, and funeral travelers, because they need to know someone cares. So no, not just based on dress, but yes it counts and makes sense.)
    Nope, I still don't get this logic at all, so I need more information.  I'm serious, I'm not being snarky! 

So you upgrade people to 1st class who are dressed nicely because you assume they have more money and will act "classier"?  As opposed to the person in yoga pants and a sweater because you think she's too poor to sit with the 1st class people?

I personally know a multi millionaire that doesn't really "dress up" all that much unless she's going out to dinner or to an event.  Granted I'm sure she regulary flies 1st class anyways, but my point is that you can't always tell what social class a person is from soley by how they are dressed in an airport.  Not to mention the old adage that you can't buy class anyways- an asshole is an asshole and will clip his toenails whether or not he's sitting in 1st class or coach. . . because he's an asshole!

I have walked past people in 1st class, on my way back to coach, that were not dressed any differently or better than the people in coach- yoga pants and sweaters in 1st class.  So were those ppl scrubs like me who were upgraded, or where they high paying, frequent travelers?

And how "dressed up" does one have to be in order to get an upgrade, then?  What exactly does Principessa wear on flights to get a 60% upgrade rate?  I'll try just about anything once, especially on an overseas flight ><

What it all boils down to really, is that flying fucking sucks now.  Between all of the TSA stupidity, the delays, the continually shrinking seat and plane sizes all while the airlines cram more and more passengers on board in an effort to make more and more $$$, and the airlines charging you now for everything short of breathing on a flight, what used to be a nice experience has become torture.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Late to this thread!  Anytime I'm going in public, I try to at least look presentable and somewhat "finished," not thrown together.  Travel is public, so I'll dress the same as running errands or going to a law class.  As @RebeccaFlower and @OhAnnabelle said, clothes do send a message whether we want them to or not.  I think there is the "cute and comfy" way to do travel attire: yoga pants or leggings and a top that covers your rear; jeans and a cotton shirt; a maxi dress.  But no, I would not wear baggy sweatpants or stuff with holes or tears, because I wouldn't wear that stuff in public anyway.  

This summer I bought my favorite pants ever, and I have done all my summer travel in them: they look like any nice pair of black pants, but they are actually a silky athletic fabric and have an elastic waist.  So comfortable for travel, but they look really put-together with a nice top and shoes.  So that's what I've been wearing lately.

I have also heard horror stories about sandals on airplanes if you must evacuate; same for skirts and dresses.  I usually wear ballet flats or sneakers.  And if I wear flats, I bring an extra pair of socks for long flights so my feet will be nice and warm.

The author of that article sounded kind of pretentious, but I also do that method of laying out my travel outfit so it works with the rest of the stuff I'm bringing.  I try to wear some of the bulkier items, like sneakers and a sweater, so it takes up less room in my suitcase.

I'm another one who can't sleep sitting up or, generally, in a moving vehicle of any kind.  I always bring lots of books and magazines.  Sometimes if there's WiFi, I will even use my laptop.  I recently spent most of an Amtrak trip Knotting.  Thanks, free WiFi!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• What jobs are you all working in where you spend 80+ dollars on a pair of pants? Both of the pairs listed here are ridiculously expensive.

Like damn girls, give me your job.

Also this thread makes me feel like the biggest slob ever. I'm a writer. I have to wear comfy pajamas to travel to imaginary lands, right?
    Me too, Winchestered! My work uniform is a very worn white flannel pink rose print nightgown. And sometimes a tiara, when I'm feeling sassy. 
    But not outside. 
  • Sorry, I'm late!

I'm in the group of judging people for wearing lounge wear to any place in public. I know that this is my problem and no one elses though. I always try to dress "presentable". Then again it makes ME feel better if I'm put together. I have no idea why, but I feel happier in an outfit than just sweats. But that's my personal opinion. So what I wear to the airport is comfy jeans, flats, a cute blouse, and limited amount of jewelery. 

I usually bring either my kindle, magazines, and/or books when I fly. Those usually keep me entertained.
  • What jobs are you all working in where you spend 80+ dollars on a pair of pants? Both of the pairs listed here are ridiculously expensive.

Like damn girls, give me your job.

Also this thread makes me feel like the biggest slob ever. I'm a writer. I have to wear comfy pajamas to travel to imaginary lands, right?
    I'm a consultant. But I have worked retail, so I'm able to get those $80 pants with a 40% employee discount.
  • Regarding what I do on flights to pass time, I usually work, since most of my flights are for work. But I often rent a movie on my iPad or download a book on Nook. My in flight routine used to always read "In Style".
  • I get cold pretty much everywhere but am also prone to hot flashes, so I layer whenever I travel. Usually jeans, a tank, lightweight long sleeved shirt and a jacket or sweater. If I'm flying to somewhere ungodly hot/humid, Footwear is whatever is easy to slip on/off. I try not to look sloppy because you never know who you'll meet or run into when traveling (a holdover paranoia from many years in sales), but I don't really "dress up" unless I know I'm going directly to an event that requires me to be dressed up.

I also bring either a pillow or stuffed animal because I have to sleep when I fly. My motion-sickness and anxiety mean a dose of Xanax pre-flight, and that usually knocks me out before takeoff until we land. No entertainment needed!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    missax said:
    I want all of the girls who keep saying that "if you can't fly comfortably in your jeans then you need new ones" to sit in a plane for 22 hours and let me know how comfortable your jeans are afterwards.
    What makes you assume that I haven't ever flown (multiple times) from LAX to Japan or Heathrow? Just because I disagree doesn't mean that it's out of ignorance or a lack of experience. I've flown many times internationally, each time in jeans and each time I was quite comfortable thank you very much.
  • But you also just said that your jeans aren't comfortable...
  • Ok, well, you implied that they were uncomfortable for long periods.

Semantics is totally the way to go.

Anyway, there are plenty of wonderful and comfortable "real" pants out there. I don't see that as an excuse to wear loungewear in public.
  • missax said:
    I never wear sweats or PJs in public, and never on a plane. 
    Seriously, I want upgrades. You can miss out on upgrades by looking sloppy. Long flights? I throw a pair of yoga pants in my carryon so I can change for bedtime.
    The exception to the no PJs is for British Air, Air France, Cathay Pacific, airlines that actually give complimentary PJs to their first class passengers. They're ugly, but hell yes, souvenir PJs! What a hoot. 

(No, I can't afford 1st class, typically. Worked for major airlines, and always deliberately choose flights with empty seats in 1st, and know how to work my air miles when I'm actually paying. I'm like a little kid about first class. Wooohooooo! Flat bed seats! Down comforters! Desert cart! Pajamas! Free wine! It was a great few years and the kids were spoiled. They thought that airport was their personal bus stop. First class to Disneyland, whenever. Sometimes, I miss the airline industry.)
    That's what ppl claim and yet I also know ppl who claim to have been given upgrades while wearing sweats, so I don't buy it.

The concept also makes no logical sense and seems out right discriminatory too, if you think about it.  Why base upgrades on style of dress?  I don't get it.

Not paid upgrades, or card holder upgrades, but random we can sell our last coach seats if we move someone to first and other incidental upgrades, or coach is overbooked, and we need to make room. The very last time I flew to MSY, not long ago, there were six people waiting for assigned seating. Moosey and I, dressed and polished, went into first class. Principessa used to fly LAX/SEA almost monthly, and had about 60% free upgrade record. 

Sure, the gate agents judge. You bet we do. You wouldn't believe the crap people do on planes. (I sat next to some cretin who actually started clipping his toenails in public.)

When you dress up to go out in public, you're sending a clear message that you care about the impression you make, and you care what other people think of you. 
    When somebody's clothes say "I don't give a shit, and I'm not making any effort," that's the impression they give. (I know this isn't universally true, and nice people wear pajamas, but clothes send messages, and it's silly to pretend they don't. Or you'd wear PJs to interviews.)

But which person do I choose to seat next to a high paying, regular, frequent traveler? It's a no brainer. Not just a guess or theory. Actual experience from both in front of and behind the counter. (I've also upgraded honeymooners, cause they're adorable, and funeral travelers, because they need to know someone cares. So no, not just based on dress, but yes it counts and makes sense.)
    Nope, I still don't get this logic at all, so I need more information.  I'm serious, I'm not being snarky! 

So you upgrade people to 1st class who are dressed nicely because you assume they have more money and will act "classier"?  As opposed to the person in yoga pants and a sweater because you think she's too poor to sit with the 1st class people?

I personally know a multi millionaire that doesn't really "dress up" all that much unless she's going out to dinner or to an event.  Granted I'm sure she regulary flies 1st class anyways, but my point is that you can't always tell what social class a person is from soley by how they are dressed in an airport.  Not to mention the old adage that you can't buy class anyways- an asshole is an asshole and will clip his toenails whether or not he's sitting in 1st class or coach. . . because he's an asshole!

I have walked past people in 1st class, on my way back to coach, that were not dressed any differently or better than the people in coach- yoga pants and sweaters in 1st class.  So were those ppl scrubs like me who were upgraded, or where they high paying, frequent travelers?

And how "dressed up" does one have to be in order to get an upgrade, then?  What exactly does Principessa wear on flights to get a 60% upgrade rate?  I'll try just about anything once, especially on an overseas flight ><

What it all boils down to really, is that flying fucking sucks now.  Between all of the TSA stupidity, the delays, the continually shrinking seat and plane sizes all while the airlines cram more and more passengers on board in an effort to make more and more $$$, and the airlines charging you now for everything short of breathing on a flight, what used to be a nice experience has become torture.
    I don't get this either and in my experience this is also not true. I always wear sweats, flip flops, & a hoodie/sweater on my flight home in 1st class and I can tell you that the majority of the people up there with me are dressed the same. I want all of the girls who keep saying that "if you can't fly comfortably in your jeans then you need new ones" to sit in a plane for 22 hours and let me know how comfortable your jeans are afterwards. While my jeans fit me nicely and are comfortable in daily life there is a reason I don't sleep in them.
    Well, anyone can "think" it's not true, or not like it, but unless you've done this 8 hours a day 5 days a week for several years, I'll have to stand by my own actual experience. More casual wear on the passengers from what are primarily vacation destinations- Honolulu or Puerto Vallarta, for example, but first is typically business travelers, and they wear shoes and pants.

@PrettyGirlLost- Daughter gets so many upgrades because she was usually traveling standby, without an assigned seat, and the assignment was made at the gate. Also because she did this frequently, at the same airport and same schedule, the agents were familiar with her and she was a known quantity. By dressed up, I simply mean properly dressed. Shoes, no sweat pants, a cute top or jacket. 

Yes, flying sucks. The recession, fuel prices, and security have beaten the airlines and the travel industry half to death, driven many out of business, and nope, it isn't what it used to be. 
    Regional flights have been cut, major destinations schedules pared down to the bones. You don't see half empty planes going out anymore, because nobody can afford to fly them. Fewer flights mean fuller planes. There are fleets of unused aircraft parked in the deserts, that nobody can afford to maintain. The baggage fees and change fees are a survival measure to create income to keep the airlines functioning, not something they invented to torment people.  As businesses, airlines have had to sit down and say, what can we cut? How can we stay alive? 

When I was a child, flying was really expensive, and just not something normal middle class people did. It was considered very exotic, a really big deal. It was for rich people, the 1%. The rest of us drove, took Greyhound busses, or trains on vacation. Those options are still there. Nobody has to suffer "torture" on a plane if they really don't want to.  It is what it is. You get there quickly, you get there affordably, you deal with government security and restrictions because it's not a choice. 

Anyway, there are plenty of wonderful and comfortable "real" pants out there. I don't see that as an excuse to wear loungewear in public.
    Why does anyone need an excuse to wear loungewear in public anyway? 

Yoga pants are 'real' pants.  They are pants.  They cover your ass and your legs which is pretty much the definition of what pants are.

And I have a problem with people thinking that when people are wearing a pair of yoga pants and sweatshirt that they aren't put together.  When I wear an outfit like that I make sure I am purchasing items that fit, that aren't super baggy and that my hair is brushed and clean and I have my face on.  For some reason I feel many of you think that when people go out in public in lounge-wear they are looking like they just rolled out of bed...not true.

And I am with @missax - I am wearing a pair of jeans right now.  They are super comfortable and I am sure I will be comfortable sitting in them at work all day and at the ball game this evening. But when I am shoved in a chair that is smaller then your average chair with very little leg room for a long period of time I would much prefer to be in my yoga pants with a nice elastic waist rather then my jeans.  If you are comfortable for extended periods of time in your jeans then good for you, but just because others prefer to be in yoga pants and find their jeans restrictive after 20 hours in them that doesn't make them wrong or slobs or means that they are wearing the wrong size jeans.
    Exactly. What exactly is "not put together" about, say, this:
    (Those are VS yoga pants)

Or this:

• missax said:
    I never wear sweats or PJs in public, and never on a plane. 

I don't get this either and in my experience this is also not true. I always wear sweats, flip flops, & a hoodie/sweater on my flight home in 1st class and I can tell you that the majority of the people up there with me are dressed the same. I want all of the girls who keep saying that "if you can't fly comfortably in your jeans then you need new ones" to sit in a plane for 22 hours and let me know how comfortable your jeans are afterwards. While my jeans fit me nicely and are comfortable in daily life there is a reason I don't sleep in them.
    Well, anyone can "think" it's not true, or not like it, but unless you've done this 8 hours a day 5 days a week for several years, I'll have to stand by my own actual experience. More casual wear on the passengers from what are primarily vacation destinations- Honolulu or Puerto Vallarta, for example, but first is typically business travelers, and they wear shoes and pants.

@PrettyGirlLost- Daughter gets so many upgrades because she was usually traveling standby, without an assigned seat, and the assignment was made at the gate. Also because she did this frequently, at the same airport and same schedule, the agents were familiar with her and she was a known quantity. By dressed up, I simply mean properly dressed. Shoes, no sweat pants, a cute top or jacket.  Gotcha, I suspected she might have been flying standby, and only because FI's sister does this regularly.  When she started doing it someone from the airlines- don't know which one specifically- told her that she would be more likely to get a seat on a plane if she was dressed as you have described.

Yes, flying sucks. The recession, fuel prices, and security have beaten the airlines and the travel industry half to death, driven many out of business, and nope, it isn't what it used to be.   Yeah, it's a bummer!
    Regional flights have been cut, major destinations schedules pared down to the bones.   My airport used to be a hub and now we can't get anywhere from here without flying all over the damn country 1st, except like once a day to Vegas and Punta Cana, lol.  You don't see half empty planes going out anymore, because nobody can afford to fly them. Fewer flights mean fuller planes. There are fleets of unused aircraft parked in the deserts, that nobody can afford to maintain.   Ugh >< The baggage fees and change fees are a survival measure to create income to keep the airlines functioning, not something they invented to torment people.  As businesses, airlines have had to sit down and say, what can we cut? How can we stay alive? 

When I was a child, flying was really expensive, and just not something normal middle class people did. It was considered very exotic, a really big deal. It was for rich people, the 1%. The rest of us drove, took Greyhound busses, or trains on vacation. Those options are still there.   Not really, depending on where you need to go.  You can't really take a bus or train to Hawaii or the Caribbean or Europe.  And trains are actually pretty pricey as well.  FI and I considered it once, forget where we were going, but it was actually cheaper to fly.  Nobody has to suffer "torture" on a plane if they really don't want to.  It is what it is. You get there quickly, you get there affordably, you deal with government security and restrictions because it's not a choice. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My priority in traveling is comfort. It it's a short 2-3hr flight, I'll likely be dressed decent ready to be out and about. If it's longer or overnight, yoga and tees. I don't care how anyone else dresses when they travel.
  • If for work - I'm the annoying boot wearer. Granted, having lived in these since I was about 12, I can get them on and off as fast as most anyone and sneakers. Heavy black yoga type pants, a work t-shirt and hoodie. Means I can toss my bag in the hotel bathroom then hit the convention floor. I almost always wind up needing my boots then, thus they are being worn.

Otherwise, same black pants, nice shirt and a hoodie with sneakers or leggings under a maxi skirt, shirt and hoodie with may as well be sneakers dress flats.

That being said, the only way I'm flying is buying two seats or first class. My ass does not fit in the itty bitty plane seat as I actually have an ass.
  • If for work - I'm the annoying boot wearer. Granted, having lived in these since I was about 12, I can get them on and off as fast as most anyone and sneakers. Heavy black yoga type pants, a work t-shirt and hoodie. Means I can toss my bag in the hotel bathroom then hit the convention floor. I almost always wind up needing my boots then, thus they are being worn. Otherwise, same black pants, nice shirt and a hoodie with sneakers or leggings under a maxi skirt, shirt and hoodie with may as well be sneakers dress flats. That being said, the only way I'm flying is buying two seats or first class. My ass does not fit in the itty bitty plane seat as I actually have an ass.
    I think you've made the most eloquent point about the seat sizing, which many people have complained about.  In 2004 I went to Europe with my best friend, who's 6'2" and not a tiny girl to start with, but was really struggling with her weight that whole time.  She was so embarrassed that we had to share two seats between us.  I gave her the window seat, and sat in the aisle, and didn't mind putting the armrest up and sharing with her, but no one should be made to feel this way.

In some countries, it's becoming more common to provide two seats for flyers who are larger than a size 6.  I believe Canada compels the airlines to provide them.  In Australia, the customer is obligated to pay for it.  I've read stories of people being denied access to the plane because they had only bought one seat, being forced to buy a second one at check in, and - my personal favorite - one woman who was forced to buy two seats, than allocated one on either side of the aisle.  The airlines call it cost cutting, and I understand the financial pressures they are under, but I think this is just another form of "fat shaming."  

I can only imagine how "fun" it's going to be to get my 6'8" FI to Australia.  As it is, he's not going to fit in to a seat either, but he's lost about ten pounds over the past few months, and says he wants to get in shape for the wedding and beach going.  Who goes.  Whether he does or not, there's no chance of him being remotely comfortable.  Even at 5'10" I struggle with the cramped leg room.
  • ashley8918 I feel like there might be a few different points being argued but for me, that is perfect travel wear and exactly what I would wear. Those are not the majority of outfits I see when I am talking about people looking sloppy.

• I never, ever wear yoga pants, sweatpants, or anything of the sort when I go out in public. It doesn't matter what I'm going outside of my house for, I put on jeans/skirt/dress, clean top, shoes, something is done to my hair (even if it's just a ponytail) and I have make up on. I am EXTREMELY self-conscious about my appearance and want to look as presentable as I can when I'm out in public. Even on 12+ hour car rides, I don't wear my lounge around clothes, becasue I know we'll stop and get lunch or use the restroom and other people will see me. I have flown as far as Italy and Hawaii, with flights leaving as early as 6 am and always wore jeans, a nice(r) top and shoes (no sandals), full make up and hair done. I don't judge other people for wearing comfy clothing, I just can't do it myself because of my self-consciousness. I've worn yoga pants outside of the house one time and that was because FI had a fever of 104 and needed meds ASAP - no time to change. I was mortified even though it was 10 pm and no one was looking at me and no one cared.

I was upgraded the second time I fly to Hawaii, as my first flight of the day was delayed. The only seats left on the connecting flights were in first class. Let me tell you, I got judged hard by the flight attendents and I wasn't even dressed sloppy. I don't know if it's because they knew I was upgraded or if I was being judged on my clothing but it just affirmed to me that I should always look my best. Again, this is just a ME issue. As long as your clothes are clean and you don't look like a slob, there will be judging from me.

• He hasn't travelled much, and I don't know if he has any frequent flier points with anyone. I don't know what state mine are in. I'll be happy if they're enough for an upgrade to premium economy (I usually fly Air NZ, even though it's an extra stop over). I'm hoping at least we can get the "cute, just married couple" upgrade on the way home.
  • I normally just wear jeans when traveling. However, when I am walking the dog I am almost always wearing PJ's or sweatpants. This is because anytime I am home, this is what I am wearing. As soon as I get home from work I throw on some comfortable sweats and take the dog out. Normally if I decide I am going to go to the store I will throw on some jeans because I am more comfortable. As soon as I am home again it is back to being comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missax said:

I can only imagine how "fun" it's going to be to get my 6'8" FI to Australia.  As it is, he's not going to fit in to a seat either, but he's lost about ten pounds over the past few months, and says he wants to get in shape for the wedding and beach going.  Who goes.  Whether he does or not, there's no chance of him being remotely comfortable.  Even at 5'10" I struggle with the cramped leg room.

Yikes! My husband is 6'4 and he struggles in the economy seats with leg room so we upgrade to 1st for long our haul flights. I'm not sure about other airlines but for $600 & 30k points (you can buy them if you need to) you can upgrade to 1st with United. You should definitely look into something like that because it is 100% worth the cost. We fly back and forth between Texas & Indonesia a lot and it's so nice to have room to move around.

Are you sure it's only a $600 upgrade? When I was looking for flights when we were considering going to Europe it was $1200 coach and $18,000 1st.
  • missax said:
    Yes. After you purchase your economy ticket and get your confirmation you can go back into your account and upgrade to 1st class. It puts you on standby and if for some reason you are not upgraded you get your money & miles returned to you. We've never not been upgraded and our friends who told us about this have also always been upgraded.
    Thank you.  I'll have a look in to this.
  • edited September 2014

Yikes! My husband is 6'4 and he struggles in the economy seats with leg room so we upgrade to 1st for long our haul flights. I'm not sure about other airlines but for $600 & 30k points (you can buy them if you need to) you can upgrade to 1st with United. You should definitely look into something like that because it is 100% worth the cost. We fly back and forth between Texas & Indonesia a lot and it's so nice to have room to move around.
    Are you sure it's only a $600 upgrade? When I was looking for flights when we were considering going to Europe it was $1200 coach and $18,000 1st.
    I'm sorry, what?!

ETA: Also, how do gate agents know you are just married?  Other PP's have mentioned this. . . I've been with FI for so long that I doubt we will look like typical, honeymooners in October, lol!

Do you think it's possible for married couples to fake being just married to get upgrades?

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    @PrettyGirlLost‌ , you read that right, not a typo. Absurd. I was totally floored.

I only looked because I was contemplating getting the AmEx that offers free companion first class international tickets (so I figured if it was a few thousand more it'd still be worth the extra cost anyway). But. No.

I was prepared for 1st to be, like $5000 (and we'd get two tickets because of the AmEx deal), but no way in gods green earth was I spending car money for a 10 hour journey.
  • I'm late to this, but I think I'm the loaner when I say I wear high heels and a dress on the plane. Why? Because I know when I get off, people I love will excitedly be waiting for me! I think it is fun and it makes me feel good. I dressed up even on the 6 am flight after our wedding. I bring a blanket in my carry-on to stay warm with. I read my Nook or sleep to pass the time. DH stares out the window taking pictures the whole flight.

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards