Moms and Maids

Bridesmaids gifts

So at the risk of asking a question that has been asked 15,000 times before, I want opinions on my gifts to my bridesmaids.  I have three girls: my childhood best friend (literally since the womb), my best friend, and my fiance's sister who I have grown close with.  Thus far, I am getting my girls the following: 

A necklace and earrings for the wedding (yes, a lame gift)
A small monogrammed make-up bag with a day of fashion emergency kit (hairspray, bandaids, tissues, hair spray, hair pins, stain remover pen, etc) 

I want to do something else for them (something not related to my wedding) but the budget is tight.  I'm crafty and an excellent seamstress so I'm thinking about making each of them a clutch that matches their personal style.  Another option would be to take them out for pedicures as a thank you.  I've also considered making them personalized mugs or double wall tumblers or something.  

I really want to do something thoughtful for them even though money is tight between the wedding and moving and whatnot.  

Thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridesmaids gifts

• Even though you're crafty, not everyone is into DIY.

I'd customize your gifts for each person.  Decide on a dollar value that fits within your budget (even if it's tight) and get each one a gift that fits their interests that is around that amount in dollar value.  The gifts don't have to match each other.
  • Would YOU want hair pins and stain stick for a present? I wouldn't. I would skip those. Maybe have ONE kit with it that people could share if they needed anything from it, but don't give everyone an emergency kit for a gift.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • crwasson said:
    So at the risk of asking a question that has been asked 15,000 times before, I want opinions on my gifts to my bridesmaids.  I have three girls: my childhood best friend (literally since the womb), my best friend, and my fiance's sister who I have grown close with.  Thus far, I am getting my girls the following: 

A necklace and earrings for the wedding (yes, a lame gift)  Not a gift, part of the uniform
    A small monogrammed make-up bag with a day of fashion emergency kit (hairspray, bandaids, tissues, hair spray, hair pins, stain remover pen, etc)  Also not great--would you want to open tissues and bobby pins on your birthday or Christmas? And most of the women I know would never use anything with a monogram.

I want to do something else for them (something not related to my wedding) but the budget is tight.  I'm crafty and an excellent seamstress so I'm thinking about making each of them a clutch that matches their personal style.  Another option would be to take them out for pedicures as a thank you.  I've also considered making them personalized mugs or double wall tumblers or something.  

I really want to do something thoughtful for them even though money is tight between the wedding and moving and whatnot.  

Thoughts?
    If you have not bought anything already, I would scrap your plans entirely. I did make jewelry for my bridesmaids, but it was not really their gift, just like the ties we provided to the groomsmen were not their gift, just to wear for the wedding. We weren't able to spend much, but we opted for a book for each person (including our parents and the ringbearer/flowergirl) relevant to their interests, e.g. knitting patterns for the MOH who loves to knit, a fantasy novel one friend had had their eye on, a book on wineries in our state for my dad who likes visiting them, etc.
  • I would skip the jewelry (return it if you can) and just let your BMs wear whatever jewelry they already own.  Then skip the emergency kit too.  Pick out something individually for each girl and her tastes.

I always pack my own emergency kit when I'm a BM, so a 2nd one is useless.  And when I was the bride, I packed the emergency kit that came with us.  So gifting each girl an emergency kit is a bit overkill and you could use that money to give a more individual gift to each girl.

Another reason to skip the jewelry is that maybe one of your girls is allergic to cheaper jewelry or just doesn't wear jewelry on a daily basis.  And that is me on both accounts.  I am allergic to nickel and can't wear most lower end jewelry.  So I am much better off being asked to wear what I already have as I have ensured that the jewelry I own is nickel free.  I also don't wear jewelry often.  I keep the same posts in my ears for years!  
  • Thank you for the suggestions thus far.  The jewelry stays(which, btw, is all sterling silver and genuine stones.  I used to work at the store it came from so I got an incredible deal).  It, along with the mini emergency kits, have already been purchased.  As a point of clarification, I was asking for suggestions on something to give them in addition to what I have already purchased for them. 

@artbyallie- I do like the suggestion of the books.  My girls are all big readers.  I'm also considering the following: 

For my MOH- a thirty-one tote or lunch box (she is a first year teacher as as someone who is also a teacher those things are GOLD)

For BM#1 (who is my fiance's sister)- a diamond/jewelry candle since she has mentioned wanting one

I'm struggling with BM #2 though.  We were best friends for pretty much our entire lives but drifted apart in high school and have recently reconnected and are becoming close again.  I couldn't imagine my wedding without her by my side.  She and I are both make-up junkies but I think picking out make up is pretty personal (I'm fussy and have suuuuuuper sensitive skin).  I think a giftcard would be too impersonal?  I also thought about getting her a diamond candle as well given that she is a candle/scentsy junkie like myself but I'm not sure I want to add her to her already huge collection.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • These are some of the things in my bridesmaids' baskets: pashminas, coffee, tea, wine, homemade soap, scented products from Fruits & Passion, jewelled bobby pins, bracelet, mani/pedi sets, nail polish... oh, and chocolate.  I got them all the same thing, but tailored scents and colours, etc, to each individual girl.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I did gift baskets for my bridesmaids and included a gift card. I went to Forever 21 and got stuff from the bins by the register- like fake lashes, cuticle cutters, lip balm for $1-$2 each. They have cheap stuff that doesn't look cheap!

• crwasson said:
    Thank you for the suggestions thus far.  The jewelry stays(which, btw, is all sterling silver and genuine stones.  I used to work at the store it came from so I got an incredible deal).  It, along with the mini emergency kits, have already been purchased.  As a point of clarification, I was asking for suggestions on something to give them in addition to what I have already purchased for them. 

@artbyallie- I do like the suggestion of the books.  My girls are all big readers.  I'm also considering the following: 

For my MOH- a thirty-one tote or lunch box (she is a first year teacher as as someone who is also a teacher those things are GOLD)

For BM#1 (who is my fiance's sister)- a diamond/jewelry candle since she has mentioned wanting one

I'm struggling with BM #2 though.  We were best friends for pretty much our entire lives but drifted apart in high school and have recently reconnected and are becoming close again.  I couldn't imagine my wedding without her by my side.  She and I are both make-up junkies but I think picking out make up is pretty personal (I'm fussy and have suuuuuuper sensitive skin).  I think a giftcard would be too impersonal?  I also thought about getting her a diamond candle as well given that she is a candle/scentsy junkie like myself but I'm not sure I want to add her to her already huge collection.  
    not at all...especially when it comes to make up.  I always enjoy a gift card because I love to shop, so for me it is the perfect gift when there is not anything specific I want.  The candle is nice too if that it her thing, but she already has a big collection I would go with the gift card.

Anniversary
  • Best advice I've ever received on the Knot when I was preparing for my own wedding - Treat Bridesmaids Gifts like Birthdays :)  Sounds like the three additional gifts are great for your bridesmaids and I agree that a gift card is not impersonal - especially if it is for something specific like makeup. Include a cute note with it as well and you should be good to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards