Attire & Accessories Forum

How Should Your Dress Fit?

Was your dress fitted to be super tight you can't breathe? Or was it comfy and not a problem?

I had my dress fitting on Saturday and the dress looks great. It doesn't look too big and it's smooth all over and perfect. But part of me wonders if it isn't tight enough, and I definitely don't think I could lose 5 pounds and have it still fit well. I have "high hips" so the bodice of the dress hits my hips and won't necessarily be able to fall, as in I won't be pulling it up all night, but part of me is concerned that throughout the day the dress will get looser or something and become a problem?

Am I wrong in assuming that it should be as tight as possible?

Re: How Should Your Dress Fit?

• Are there pockets in that dress?  That's EPIC!  Is it a corset back?

Mine fits 'snug' but I liked that it does because I feet all wrapped up and warm in it like a big formal burrito.  So cozy!  I'm just doing a bit of a de-puff to flatten out the tummy area but if I got married tomorrow I would feel okay with how it fit.  You should be able to breathe and sit down in it, but it should fit your shape.  

Is it okay on top?  Are you worried about adjusting/pulling up the bodice all night?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited September 2014
    YES!-pockets No-corset :(

The bodice is completely structured, so it is fitted but there is room for it to move I guess because it moves on its own more than with me. Does that make sense? I tried wiggling around with it on and there won't be anything ta-tas popping out or anything, but I guess I'm just concerned that I'll lose a couple of pounds and regret it that day since it already seems to have some wiggle room.

I just don't know if it is worth going in and having them take it in some more...In my mind I imagined that it would be SUPER-TIGHT-CAN'T-SIT-OR-BREATHE-GASPING FOR AIR tight lol, the seamstress didn't seem to think that it was too big and neither did my sister.

edited: paragraphsssss

• I think you"re fine. You should most definitely be able to sit and breath. Non corset back dresses especially. 

My dress was snug, but relatively comfortable. I didn't even notice how tight it was until the end of the night when I took my waist cincher off. You want to be able to be comfortable for HOURS in this dress.

Anniversary
  • I think you should be alright, but by all means, ask the seamstress to make it tighter, or do another fitting much closer to the wedding.

Because your bodice is structured, I don't think it would a problem.  One of my friends had a lacy dress that had no internal supports, and it did stretch, and she was pulling it up a lot by the end of the night, but from what you've described, I don't see that it would be a problem.  The other question though, what happens when you bend over.  Ta-tas popping out is one thing, but is everyone going to get an eyeful?  
  • Your dress should not be so fitted to the point that you can't breathe.  If it is then it has been altered too small.

My dress fit me like a glove.  Meaning when it zipped I knew I had a fitted wedding dress on me but I also could move and breathe and sit and dance without feeling like I was going to burst the dress at the seams.

Was this your final fitting or will you be having another one 2 or so weeks from now?  

• This was my final fitting, the dress only ended up needing one set of alterations so I wish I had scheduled it closer to the actual wedding date.

I think you guys are right, that I'll be fine. The dress looks great and fits comfortably, I'm just being overly neurotic. I guess this is a better problem than being worried that it will be too small the day of :)

• Hmm, I would maybe talk to your seamstress about setting up one more fitting a week and a half to two weeks out.  A lot of brides weight fluctuates during the final weeks because of stress, nerves and/or excitement and you don't want to put your dress on the day of only to find out it is too big.

• @Maggie0829 I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and schedule something just in case!

• You can always schedule it and then cancel if you find you don't need the extra fitting.  Just try your dress on the day before your scheduled fitting.  If it fits like you want it to then cancel, if not go and have it altered.  Better to be safe then sorry.

• When I tried on my dress at my final fitting I was concerned that it didn't fit right because I expected it to be tight. The seamstress assured me that it was fit correctly. My final fitting was 3 1/2 weeks before my wedding. She let me schedule an appointment the week before the wedding just in case. I tried it on the week before and I moved around in it and everything and it fit well so I cancelled the appointment. Perhaps you could do something like that.
  • I just called the seamstress and asked if I could have another fitting closer to the wedding. So, as it stands I can try it on again November 1st and have it taken in again if needed.

It's a relief to at least have something scheduled even if it is only a just in case!

• No, dresses should not be super tight. I can't tell you how many weddings I've been to where the beautiful bride (of any size) in a beautiful dress looks ridiculous because of the tightness. 

Super tight = poor fit. It causes otherwise nonexistent back fat to roll over the back of the dress and armpit fat to gather near the chest. It is not flattering. 

Obviously, you don't want your dress falling off. Snug is fine, especially in the torso if you're going strapless. But super tight? No. 
  • I am not an expert on this and am curious about other's answers, but I will say I have witnessed a real back fat tragedy caused by pulling the bride's corset too tight. It looked like she had back boobs in addition to her copious front boobs. Not good. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards