Moms and Maids

stressing over timeline for bridesmaid dresses

When I picked out my wedding gown the consultant told me that for my June wedding the girls should pick their dress by August, September the latest. It's been difficult to find a day that I can get all my girls together because I only have every other weekend off and I work evenings. Besides my work schedule being different from my girls it seems like there is something happening on all of my Saturdays and the bridal salon isn't open on Sundays. Am I stressing for no reason? Other people I've spoken too says there's still plenty of time but the consultant got into my head and I'm starting to stress out.
How early did you find your bridesmaid dresses? Should I just go with a few of them and then try to figure out a different day for the other girls?

Re: stressing over timeline for bridesmaid dresses

• Your consultant is aiming for her commission and is using common scare tactics of the industry.  My 4th DD got married in June, they went dress shopping in January with no problems.
  • I think I was about 6-7 months out?  With my sister's wedding this past July, I had to send my measurements to the salon in February, dresses arrived in early May, and I still had plenty of time for alterations.   I think you still have time.

Neither for my wedding nor for my sister's were all of the bridesmaids involved in the initial shopping trip.  You have a couple of other options if getting together isn't feasible.  As long as you've gotten the budget from your bridesmaids for the dress, you could go shopping with a few available friends, narrow it down to a few dresses, and ask people to weigh in with preferences, giving those who couldn't go time to try on the dresses.  Or you could pick some combination of designer, color, length, and/or fabric and have each person pick her own dress within those parameters. 
    Anniversary

• Ditto PP.  You will have plenty of time if you wait until the new year.  I would probably ask your girls preference to go in November, before the holidays or wait until Jan.  And if your salon tries to tell you about dye lots too, don't worry about that either.  Dyes are mixed by computer now, so differences in shades are very minimal.
  • You're fine. My wedding is in January and my girls dresses were just ordered a few weeks ago...at about the 5 month mark. I picked a designer and fabric and then let everyone pick their own dress, so I took one BM with me to make sure I knew what I wanted and then came back with everyone so they could pick.
  • Where are you buying dresses from?

My BM's dresses (Ann Taylor) came in 2 weeks...
    *********************************************************************************

• We ordered early February for my June wedding...and the dresses came in early March (David's Bridal). Unless they are getting individually made for them please do not make your bridesmaids pay for dresses now that will just sit in their closet for the next 10 months. There size could change dramatically in the next 10 months (heck, someone can even get pregnant and already have the baby!)

Anniversary
  • erinlin25 said:
    We ordered early February for my June wedding...and the dresses came in early March (David's Bridal). Unless they are getting individually made for them please do not make your bridesmaids pay for dresses now that will just sit in their closet for the next 10 months. There size could change dramatically in the next 10 months (heck, someone can even get pregnant and already have the baby!)
    it's funny you say that because one of my bridesmaids actually plans on getting pregnant and will be about 8 or 9 months when my wedding comes up so that is another concern of mine. How will she pick her size if she has no idea how big her belly will be?
  • My girls went to 2 seperate stores - the one where I got my wedding dress from the Allure BM gowns came in about 4 months, the other store took about 3.5 ish.  So when I had a BM not getting her dress at 3 months prior to the wedding we talked and she decided that she just couldnt be there as a BM because of to much going on in her life.  I had been worried about it not coming in on time.

The problem that you run into is sometimes the dresses are discontinued, I was in a July wedding where that happened but we had all gotten our dresses so far in advance it was just if it did not fit that it was an issue. 

• erinlin25 said:
    We ordered early February for my June wedding...and the dresses came in early March (David's Bridal). Unless they are getting individually made for them please do not make your bridesmaids pay for dresses now that will just sit in their closet for the next 10 months. There size could change dramatically in the next 10 months (heck, someone can even get pregnant and already have the baby!)
    it's funny you say that because one of my bridesmaids actually plans on getting pregnant and will be about 8 or 9 months when my wedding comes up so that is another concern of mine. How will she pick her size if she has no idea how big her belly will be?

Then I would either give them a nuetral color and tell them all to get the dress of their choice in say navy, as the wedding approaches pregnant BM can buy the dress when she is ready.

If you do want actual BM dresses, then find a dress with an empire waist or a designer that carries a maternity line.  When this BM orders her dress, she should order up 1 or 2 sizes and request extra length, if it's a knee length dress.  That way the dress will be large enough to take in with her changing body.  Try to wait until 5 months before the wedding, if going with DB - you can wait till around 3 months before.

• My daughter planned her whole wedding in 6 months. The BMs ordered their dresses from a salon in FL and they all arrived within 30 days. Six months out should be safe.

• You have plenty of time!  I was the MOH for a wedding in December.  I think I ordered my dress in August.  Even with that amount of time, my dress which had beading on the bodice, was too big.  I had to get the dress practically remade because it just slipped right off of me.  Also, if you wait and find out when your BM is actually pregnant and will know about how far along she will be at the time of the wedding, a lot of salons have fake baby bellies girls can try on for measurements and whatnot.  So yeah, I think it is best to wait until January-ish at the earliest. No reason for stress! : )
  • I was only engaged  6 months...got engaged Nov 29 and married May 31.  Bought my dress second week of January and ordered bridesmaid dresses Feb.  I would say you have more than enough time and don't need to stress.
  • I agree with the others, this should not be something for you to stress about. My girls ordered their dresses from David's Bridal. They all have such different body types that after playing with some dress ideas I asked them to just get the same color & fabric so they could pick a dress that fit their body, their budget, & that they'd be more likely to wear again. I specifically mentioned fabric because their color looks different if one girl is in satin & another is in jersey. Had their consultants order dresses through the website & they arrived in 2 weeks or less. Good luck!
  • My wedding is in november and my BM's ordered theirs by early June, so 5 months out.  The salon called them in early September.  You have more than enough time to get those dresses.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards