Chit Chat

Rings and men with big knuckles

The mister is having a bit of a ring dilemma. We had purchased a tungsten carbide wedding band back in February. He loves how it looks (6.5mm comfort fit, grooved, brushed and polished) and especially loves that it was only $32. But he has huge knuckles and skinny fingers, so the best-fitting size hurts like hell to get over his knuckle and then is still super big on his finger (we're talking like 3 sizes too big). We also have a second ring that he bought at K-Mart the day before the wedding, because we knew I'd never be able to get the original ring over his knuckle during the ceremony and it would just be awkward. So that ring is even bigger, but we don't have a whole lot of sentimental attachment to either one. 

I'm starting to get kind of nervous about all those pictures floating around online about the tungsten carbide rings ripping people's fingers off, and that the ring couldn't be cut off in case of emergency. (He works in sales, not like it's a dangerous job, I'm just a nervous nelly.) He's not comfortable wearing either ring because they both smash into the sides of his other fingers so much because they're so big, but he really wants to wear a wedding band. Neither of us likes the tattoo route.

What should we do?? Has anyone done sizing beads, and do you think they'd work with such a large size difference? Does something like this [CLICKY] seem like a really stupid idea? (Aside from the fact that they're 42x more expensive than his original ring, holy moly.) I'm almost considering looking into collagen injections for his finger.

Re: Rings and men with big knuckles

• I actually saw something on my FB feed the other day about rubber wedding bands...the picture looked nice but not sure how it actually looks.

• emmaaa said:
    I actually saw something on my FB feed the other day about rubber wedding bands...the picture looked nice but not sure how it actually looks.
    Our salesperson at Jared told us about those! Apparently they look pretty nice. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My dad has the same problem.   He wears his ring on a chain around his neck. I know it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but it's a temporary solution til you can figure out something better. Plus it eliminates the smashing.
  • @lolo883 I think that ring is kinda nifty. It's not silly if it works! It sounds like a good option. Cool that it exists!

image   image   image

• I wonder if overstock sells rings like the one you posted a link to? Overstock is soooo cheap.
  • That Superfit ring looks like the perfect solution for your H's knuckle issue.  I think it looks like a good solution and that little locking latch would keep it from opening and getting lost.

These rubber wedding rings claim to look like metal--- I think they still look like metallic silicone, but they don't necessarily look bad.  I especially like the black one.  And they are super cheap so you can always try one and then get the expensive hinged ring if this doesn't work out.  http://www.saferingz.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• The mister is having a bit of a ring dilemma. We had purchased a tungsten carbide wedding band back in February. He loves how it looks (6.5mm comfort fit, grooved, brushed and polished) and especially loves that it was only $32. But he has huge knuckles and skinny fingers, so the best-fitting size hurts like hell to get over his knuckle and then is still super big on his finger (we're talking like 3 sizes too big). We also have a second ring that he bought at K-Mart the day before the wedding, because we knew I'd never be able to get the original ring over his knuckle during the ceremony and it would just be awkward. So that ring is even bigger, but we don't have a whole lot of sentimental attachment to either one. 

I'm starting to get kind of nervous about all those pictures floating around online about the tungsten carbide rings ripping people's fingers off, and that the ring couldn't be cut off in case of emergency. (He works in sales, not like it's a dangerous job, I'm just a nervous nelly.) He's not comfortable wearing either ring because they both smash into the sides of his other fingers so much because they're so big, but he really wants to wear a wedding band. Neither of us likes the tattoo route.

What should we do?? Has anyone done sizing beads, and do you think they'd work with such a large size difference? Does something like this [CLICKY] seem like a really stupid idea? (Aside from the fact that they're 42x more expensive than his original ring, holy moly.) I'm almost considering looking into collagen injections for his finger.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

SIB:
    We looked into the Saferingz for DH, since he works as electrician and wanted something non-metallic.  I agree that they still don't look like metal, but it may be an acceptable solution.

You may even be able to look into something like:

Or:

I'm not saying those particular rings, but adjustable style wise.  Just something that doesn't actually close, allowing some flex to it. Although, depending on activities he does, I'd worry about it getting caught on something and severely bending it. 

I think the Superfit rings are awesome for what you need, but definitely costly.  They do make them in silver for much more affordable price.  Or just figure that it's a piece of jewelry he will wear everyday for the rest of his life, so cost may be acceptable, if it's within a range you can afford. And it's still cheaper than many engagement rings.

• Before our drama, bought Qalo rubber rings. Same as a saferingz, I just liked the company better. We got then so out rings or fingers didn't get destroyed at the gym. H wore his everyday
    I would check out the metal looking Saferingz. Qalo only has solid colors. Wayyyyyy cheaper alternative and not that wasteful it they are not good.
  • H has the same problem because he was a goaltender in soccer for years his knuckles are whack. He bought a ring that fits his finger, but it's a bitch to get over his knuckle.

His compromise was that he just has decided to not take it off very often. (Neither one of us actually ever takes our rings to off to shower/work out/go to bed, etc). At least that eliminates the amount of off/on he has to put his knuckle through.
    imageimage">
  • FI has the same issue. We decided on a ring that just barely fits over his knuckle and is a little loose on his finger. This may be a problem for his job, so we'll see. If it doesn't work I'm going to look into a ring that doesn't close all the way. The ring you posted looks awesome, but it's way out of our price range!
  • Ooh definitely looking into the rubber ones! I wondered aloud last night if stretchy rings were "a thing" besides something I would have worn when I was 8, but thought it was the wine talking. :)

• Does something like this [CLICKY] seem like a really stupid idea?
    My jeweler can add these to any gold ring.  I think he said it costs about $600.  My mom might do it with her rings because she's got the same problem as your H.  It's worth looking into.
  • These are interesting too... and not quite as spendy as the other ones.

• I am getting my fiancé a Superfit band! http://store.superfitinc.com/catalog_cat.asp?catid=10 I have the Superfit in my engagement ring and LOVE it! As a nurse, I am constantly washing my hands, taking gloves on and off, etc and the ring stays perfectly in place on my finger base. In the summer my knuckles swell up a lot so I was able to easily take this off without having it be too big when the swelling goes down. No can even see the opening mechanism or know it's there. My fiancé is active and outdoorsy and I want him to have something that fits perfectly and won't slide off. I would highly recommend this to anyone!
  • You can cut off a tungsten ring.  Actually, you can break it.  It's kinda neat.  You just can't resize it. 

Here's a video:

My dad uses ring spacers.  He has diabetes and he does it to help with circulation.  Not sure if that is much help though because ring spacers are kind of annoying...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I really like the look of the one in your OP!
  • maglaruemaglarue member
    First Comment
    edited November 2014
    My guy had the same problem. We talked to our jeweler who gave us a few options but really encouraged CliQ. At first my groom-to-be didn't want to spend more than $100, but that didn't sit well with me. My engagement ring stands for forever, and the cost reflects that - what does it say when his symbol is only a fraction of the cost? Anyway, we went with a CliQ and couldn't be happier. He wears it around home, since were 20 days out from the wedding, because it fits so well. This is the one he got... http://store.superfitinc.com/catalog_item.asp?catid=10&subcatid=76&id=314
  • H works with float planes so we were worried about him wearing his tungsten ring to work. We also got Qalo rings. He is really happy with his. He got a dark grey one that isn't carried but also likes the black. Very inexpensive option! I also have one for working events and for when we go backpacking.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • themrs3themrs3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2014
    I would strongly recommend the Superfit ring!  My husband-to-be is an athlete with large hands and knuckles.  He had a Superfit put on his championship ring and it fits perfectly.  I am a yoga instructor so my hands tend to swell up in the heat which is why we are both getting Cliq bands for the big day! They have so many stunning styles, this is the one I chose 

• You can cut off a tungsten ring.  Actually, you can break it.  It's kinda neat.  You just can't resize it. 

Here's a video:

My dad uses ring spacers.  He has diabetes and he does it to help with circulation.  Not sure if that is much help though because ring spacers are kind of annoying...
    OMG THANK YOU!
    I was reading this and getting more and more nervous because I got FI a tungsten ring because they're so sturdy and he does maintenance. I was about to have a panic attack thinking about his finger getting snatched off in one of the machines. I may still not let him wear it at work. 
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards