My FI and I got engaged this past May. We were both so excited that we started planning the wedding right away. In about a month, we had signed our venue, photographer, officiant, coordinator, and caterer. We've been planning on sending out our save-the-dates in a few weeks. Our wedding isn't until fall 2015, but it's a destination wedding (three-hour drive for her, but a flight for most of our other guests), so we wanted to give people as much time as possible to plan accordingly.
A little over a week ago, we got devastating news: his mother was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, a type of cancer that affects the bone marrow. It's been hard on both of us, as we're both extremely close to her. Her treatment plan is currently looking like six months of chemo, and then if/when they can get her into remission, a stem cell transplant. But that's a very rough estimate. It's too early to tell how she's responding to treatment and if that six month estimate is accurate.
My question is this: I'm not really sure how I should plan given the above. We've decided to keep our wedding date as-is for now (she's so looking forward to it and lights up anytime we talk about it). We've asked FI's dad multiple times about changing the date and/or venue, and he says he doesn't want us to for that reason. But we have an understanding that we may need to move it at some point. Do I send out my save-the-dates as planned? Or do I hold off for a few months until we have more of an idea as to what the next year is going to look like for us as a family? Her being at the wedding isn't an option for us, but I also don't want family to start booking travel full-and-well knowing things may change. Help!