Registry and Gift Forum

XP: We're registering tonight!

I'm sort of apprehensive about this, but mostly excited.  I have found all kinds of checklists of things we should register for, and we're crossing off plenty of stuff that we don't need.  And I have paid attention to all the threads about the favorite registry item, which were super helpful.  But I have a few questions.

1) Who else has registered at Macy's-- how much does the sales associate actively sell you on stuff?  Will we just walk around by ourselves?

2) I already have a set of fine china that was passed down in my family.  It's not really our taste, but it's a huge set (12 place settings) and it seems wasteful to register for another set just for style reasons.  Do you think this is a smart idea or will we later regret not having "our wedding china?"

3) Can we opt out of the "Dream Fund" or at least move it to the bottom of the page?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: XP: We're registering tonight!

• I commented on the Chit Chat thread :)
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    I have a Macy's registry... but we only started it online, so I can't answer about how much the sales person will try to sell you on things. 

I'm not registering for fine china, or even everyday dinnerware, because we already have a set of everyday dinnerware that is fine for entertaining (whiteware. classic.) I believe my grandparents would like to pass on to me their china... but even if they don't, I'm not going to regret not registering for it. Of course, my parents have a set of china that they NEVER use. They force themselves to bring it out for holidays occasionally, but they always find that to be a pain. And FI's parents don't use china. 

So, I think it's really up to you. Do you want a gorgeous set of china and plan to use it all the time? Is it a thing you're thinking about often? If so, then yeah, maybe register for some. If you plan to have children, you'll have two sets to pass down instead of one:) Or is this actually something you don't think you'll use that often, you don't HATE the set you were given, and/or you feel like you're supposed to want wedding china but don't really care? If it's any of those, then no, don't bother. 

Now... about this "dreamfund". What is it?? I haven't noticed it on my registry page... going to go look for it now... ETA: I don't see it on the page anywhere... 
  • We went and I think we did pretty well!  We wound up registering for the everyday Hotel Bone China in white, round, very classic.  We are not going to register for any fine china right now.  We did register for the lowest-end Lenox crystal wine glasses to round out the table when we use our current china.

I am most excited about our luggage.  I really hope we get it.

The registry consultant was really helpful but she left us alone for the most part.  She actually got me started but Fi got out of work late, so she left us to run free with the gun.  That part was pretty fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I deleted the Dream Fund online entirely. Easy peasy! I went in to Macys just to meet with the registry person but I did most of my registering later online at home. No pressure or anything from her to stay and do it in store. We had zero china, or really even matching plates, so We did fancy china and everyday wear. If I already had a nice set from my family I likely wouldn't have registered for another unless it was super ugly, like, commemorative plates of the Popes or something (which, I know from my aunt's house, is actually a thing!)
  • We went and I think we did pretty well!  We wound up registering for the everyday Hotel Bone China in white, round, very classic.  We are not going to register for any fine china right now.  We did register for the lowest-end Lenox crystal wine glasses to round out the table when we use our current china.

I am most excited about our luggage.  I really hope we get it.

The registry consultant was really helpful but she left us alone for the most part.  She actually got me started but Fi got out of work late, so she left us to run free with the gun.  That part was pretty fun.
    I hope you get your Hotel Collection china!  I really like ours...

FYI we bought 3 of the four place settings (dinner plate, salad plate, cereal bowl, NO coffee mug) and 4 individual place settings that included the mugs, then for 16 of the low bowls.  We didn't need that many coffee mugs so the 12 sets made a lot of sense for us.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • @AprilH81 We have a whole bunch of plain white coffee mugs that came with our current everyday set from HomeGoods.  They live at the back of a cabinet and have been used, like once.  So we figured it's all white-- no need for the matching Hotel mugs.

We went with three of the 4-setting boxes (so, 12 place settings) and then added 12 of the shallow dinner bowls and one large serving bowl.

Do you find that you like having 16 place settings?  Do you keep them all in rotation or have you ever needed them all at once?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @AprilH81 We have a whole bunch of plain white coffee mugs that came with our current everyday set from HomeGoods.  They live at the back of a cabinet and have been used, like once.  So we figured it's all white-- no need for the matching Hotel mugs.

We went with three of the 4-setting boxes (so, 12 place settings) and then added 12 of the shallow dinner bowls and one large serving bowl.

Do you find that you like having 16 place settings?  Do you keep them all in rotation or have you ever needed them all at once?
    We haven't had an occasion to use all of them at once, but it has helped us avoid running less than full dishwasher cycles. :)  But our life has been chaotic since the wedding and a lot of our stuff went into storage while we had our house on the market and moved.  After we moved we boxed the kitchen up again to tear it out, so we haven't really gotten a lot of use out them yet.

We did have to upgrade our cabinets to 13" depth so the dinner plates would fit.  lol  

I'm hoping to host Thanksgiving this year and use the dinner plates.  I will have to focus on not being worried about something happening, because they ARE sturdier than they look and we bought them to use them.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I think you can opt in or opt out of the DreamFund. Whoever set up your registry must have signed you up automatically. If calling Customer Service doesn't help, then I'd try visiting the store directly and seeing if they can help you to "opt out".

I thought the person who set up our registry was really pushy and annoying. I didn't really want a whole TON of things from Macy's so her spiel got old kind of fast. But I think we pretty much gave the message that we knew what we were looking for and after that she left us alone with the gun to go scan what we wanted.

I think if you don't care for the china you have, then there is nothing wrong with registering for another set that is more "you". Plus it gives future children (if you're havin any) the choice in either set when they grow up someday if you decide to give it away or pass it down in your wills or something. You could also register for crystal glassware as an alternative to china if you want!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards