Wedding Etiquette Forum

Smelling like roses

I really don't know if this belongs in this section or not, but really....none of the category seems to fit.  So I'll start here, and if it is deemed better to move it to another board, I will do so.

I'm just going to put it bluntly.  When I get hot, I sweat, and my underarms can get pretty "ripe".  In the summer, I am constantly reapplying deodorant and use baby powder as a preventative measure.  Strong Enough For A Man But Made For A Woman isn't always strong enough for me!  LOL

Not sure how to handle this on the wedding day.  I can keep a small thing of deodorant discreetly tucked away somewhere, but I also don't want everyone to see the deodorant (once it's applied, I mean).   I tend to have better luck with solids rather than the invisible ones, but for this case (and my strapless gown), maybe I'll take a chance.

Wedding is late October, so temps should be in my favor.  It's the dancing and indoor activities that concern me.

I can't imagine that I'm the only bride who's had to deal with this, so ladies....what do you recommend?

Re: Smelling like roses

• Degree has an awesome clinical strength antipersperant that you apply the night before. I used that and then applied an extra layer of regular powder fresh the day of. I still sweat at my Mexico wedding, but it was a great help. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Have you tried Secret Clinical Strength?
  • My favorite among the clinical deodorants is the Mitchum Roll-On. I like it because you put it on at night and then use a regular deodorant in the morning. It can cause some itchiness, but I find the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. 

I also switch deodorant brands each time I run out because it seems like my body becomes immune to it or something. Probably in my head, but it seems to work! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a friend who sweats excessively, and I believe she uses a prescription deodorant.  She has also considered botox, but obviously it's more expensive than the deodorant. 

• I highly recommend asking your doctor about drysol. Seriously, it's a game changer.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:
    I highly recommend asking your doctor about drysol. Seriously, it's a game changer.
    Seconded! I sweat like nobody's business, and this has been amazing.
  • edited September 2014

Keep track of the active ingredients on the antiperspirants that you try. Wear a white tank t-shirt with them to make sure they don't stain. I use Shower to Shower powder in my arm pits before I put on an antiperspirant and it's worked pretty well. I find that sleeve openings that rub against the area seem to stimulate sweat more, so I buy clothing doesn't come in contact in that area - sleeveless with large armholes or loose sleeves.

Botox injections last about three months, I think. So If you go that route, plan your appointment for a month before your wedding.

• MobKaz said:
    I know several people who have excessive sweating.  If I recall, at least two of them have sought out a dermatologist.  I believe they receive botox shots to reduce the sweating.
    This is what I was going to say. I've never had to have the shots myself, but I know someone who needs them and she says they really work wonders. 
  • My mom has this problem and she always used unscented men's Mitchum clinical, with good results.  Recently she went all hippie-dippie and uses a homemade baking soda concoction.  It actually works, but I don't know exactly what she puts in it and she's not dancing away the night with it.

I second talking to your doctor if you're really worried.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I actually wanted to post something along these lines! I have the same problem! Anyways, what I found works for me is clinical strength deodorant. I like Secret. It takes maybe a week or so for it to REALLY kick in. I apply it before bed the night before, shower in the morning, and apply more in the morning, or regular deodorant. I find that it helps significantly. 

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• If it is a problem that is interfering with your life and it sounds like it is, it is worth going to a dermatologist.  The issue even has a fancy name, hyperhydrosis.  I have a similar issue, except that it doesn't take much for me to smell and it was interfering with work.  In addition to a very careful hygiene routine, my doc put me on a prescription medicine that helped reduce the sweating.  It took some time to be effiective so you might not have time before the wedding, but it might help outside of it.   
  • Thanks for all of the input.  I've never tried the clinical strength stuff, so I may have to make a purchase.  Guessing a dermatologist appt isn't going to happen before the wedding, but it's definitely something to consider for long term.

• blabla89 said:

I highly recommend asking your doctor about drysol. Seriously, it's a game changer.

Seconded! I sweat like nobody's business, and this has been amazing.

I third this. My PCP was actually able to prescribe it for me. Although I did notice that once I stopped sweating from my pits, I got sweaty thighs (not soaking wet but slightly damp)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards