Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Surprise groomscake!

So I'm getting my future husband a surprise grooms cake of a taekwondo uniform. 
1. Because I wanted something that was a huge part of his life at our wedding.
2. Everyone coming from his club will love it.
3. I was worried about there not being enough cake.
and lastly because I want to see his 'omg baby' smile that he does when I surprise him. 

Here's the cake here (just with no red writing). 

How many servings did you guys have compared to how many guests came. Right now I have just enough for one piece each and I think that is enough?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Surprise groomscake!

• You FI will love that! Those were some of the same reasons we had a grooms cake, and my DH flipped when he saw his batman cake! As long as everyone has at least one slice, you should be alright. We initially budgeted cake for 150 (how many we invited), but only had 102 guests at the wedding. We ended up saving the top layer of both cakes and gave everyone larger than normal wedding size slices. We figured, we already paid for it and you can't go wrong with too much cake! (Here is a pic of one of the GM with our cakes)
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2014
    Curious those of you who had one, did you serve it at the rehearsal dinner? How is it presented so as to not seem like a birthday cake with all attention on the groom? I wanted to do one of my fiance's race car but I'm just not sure about how the presentation of the cake goes.

ETA clarification
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just had them sitting on the same table and served them along with the wedding cake as a third cake flavor at the reception! It didn't look birthday-ish at all. Groom's cakes are very popular in our area and this is usually how they do it (I've been told, lol).
  • The batman cake is too cute! I'm actually not sure if it's a thing around here... But I just know my FI and his taekwondo club will love it. TKD is a huge part in his life and I really want to have something that really represents that at the wedding. 

Yeah I'm going to serve it at the reception as extra cake and another cake flavour.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think your plan sounds perfectly fine. As long as you have one slice per guest, you will be fine.

I did a surprise groomscake for my DH, but I did it at the rehearsal dinner instead of the reception. We had enough to have one (large) slice per guest at the RD and still had leftovers to take home - some people were too full for cake.
  • Not making time to get a groom's cake is one of my few wedding regrets. Love it!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It looks cute, but I don't think I would "surprise" him with it.  Sometimes people, even in the best of circumstances, just don't appreciate surprises.  Get his opinion on it and respect it, whatever that turns out to be.
  • allispain said:
    I think your plan sounds perfectly fine. As long as you have one slice per guest, you will be fine.

I did a surprise groomscake for my DH, but I did it at the rehearsal dinner instead of the reception. We had enough to have one (large) slice per guest at the RD and still had leftovers to take home - some people were too full for cake.

So when you served it at the RD how did that work?? I envision it being brought out after dinner and to me it screams birthday. I want to do one for FI but not sure how you do it! Maybe set up a table with the cake and bridal party gifts, so it's all set out before people arrive? Hmm...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • allispainallispain member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2014
    tcnoble said: allispain said: I think your plan sounds perfectly fine. As long as you have one slice per guest, you will be fine.
    So when you served it at the RD how did that work?? I envision it being brought out after dinner and to me it screams birthday. I want to do one for FI but not sure how you do it! Maybe set up a table with the cake and bridal party gifts, so it's all set out before people arrive? Hmm...

So it worked well for us, because DH and I had decided that he would say a few words at the RD to thank everyone for being there, and that I would then do the same thing at the reception (he's much more shy than I am, so he wanted the smaller crowd). As he was finishing up, the restaurant staff brought the cake out behind us. When he was done, I tapped him on the shoulder to have him turn around, and he was totally surprised. Can you compare that to a birthday? I suppose you can. But he was talking about how it meant so much to have everyone there for
    us and how we were both looking forward to the ceremony the next day, etc. Beyond that, to be honest? I just wanted to surprise him and show him how much I love him (in cake form) - I don't care if it seemed like a birthday party or not. I was happy, he was happy, and our guests were surprised and amazed by the cake. Win win.

ETA - tried quoting here, it did something really weird and isn't showing up well...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards