Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Anyone know how to attach flowers to a cake?

My baker won't put flowers on a cake, but she said I could put them on afterwards if I'd like.
Now my florist hasn't done anything like that... 

So I am wondering is this something I could do myself? Is it really difficult or just not worth it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone know how to attach flowers to a cake?

• Options
    You just set them on there. It's not at all complicated. Unless you're wanting them on the sides where they'll be fighting gravity?
  • Options
    You just set them on top, no securing necessary. 
  • Options
    Depends on what the cake is made of and where you're putting them.  If the tiers aren't very large, the flowers are heavy, you have thick fondant, or you want them cascading down the sides, you'll probably need the florist to wire the flowers so they can be pressed deeper into the cake.  Fondant is smooth, so flowers won't stick to it.  The wire can pierce the fondant.

If you just want them on the top, just press them in to the buttercream and they'll stick to it.
  • Options
    Ours were just set on the cake. If you want to secure them, you can make a "glue" with icing. Google for recipes. 

If you want them cascading, I agree with @atlastmrsg that you should wire them together and then place them by anchoring them in on each tier. If you go this route, I'd use fake flowers and make the cascade way before so all you have to do when the cake shows up is tack it on.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Sorry, I should of been clearer. Yes I want them to defy gravity and cascade down the side.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You'll probably need wired then.  Royal icing, bundles/balls of fondant, or white chocolate can only do so much to hold flowers to the side.  Especially if there will be any heat or humidity.  Unless you're using really small flowers like violets or sugar wafer edible "flowers"--that type of edible flowers are really lightweight.  
  • Options
    Make sure the flowers you want to use are non-toxic.  You can wire the stems together to form small clusters and use something like this or wrap the wired stems in plastic wrap or foil to insert them into the cake.  Putting flowers into the cake will affect how the cake can be cut though so you may want to err on the side of more cake.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah if possible I'd like to attach them in a way they don't actually touch the cake. I did ask what they were treated with and my florist said that there isn't a problem putting them on the cake. 
    But just in case... If I can't figure out a solution. I might just put flowers on the table with the cake. Or just on the very top but making sure the flowers have something between them and the cake (like plastic wrap).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Your florist should be individually wiring and taping the flowers that will be inserted into your cake. This way the flowers will stay where they are inserted and the small portion of stem left will be covered in floral tape so nothing from the flower will seep into the cake.  Also you need to use lighter weight flowers, so no large rose heads that could potentially cause a cake disaster by falling out and pulling the cake and fondant and whatever else with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards