Getting in Shape
Options

Fi wants a personal trainer

So Fi is looking to get in shape before our big day but has very little motivation once he gets going. He is currently enrolled in a membership at Planet Fitness but he seldom (aka never) goes. He agrees with me that if he has someone he has to meet with (like a personal trainer) he will go.

The one thing that is stopping us though is the cost. Holy shitake, batman! We have maybe $100 a month we can contribute to this fund but the closest I have found was 1 time a week for 20 minutes. Is our budget too low? Any suggestions? If you had a personal trainer, would you mind sharing the costs?

imageimage

Re: Fi wants a personal trainer

• Options
    Planet Fitness usually offers free 30 minute classes that are taught by a personal trainer and focuses typically on one body part at a time.  The classes are a first come, first serve thing so if you want to get into one then you need to sign up early (usually only take 5 people at a time).  Also they have some hour long sessions where you can design your own program but you need to set up an appointment.

You can find the schedule for your Planet Fitness on your clubs website.

Maybe have your FI start with what his gym already has to offer and see how that works.

• Options
    Planet Fitness usually offers free 30 minute classes that are taught by a personal trainer and focuses typically on one body part at a time.  The classes are a first come, first serve thing so if you want to get into one then you need to sign up early (usually only take 5 people at a time).  Also they have some hour long sessions where you can design your own program but you need to set up an appointment.

You can find the schedule for your Planet Fitness on your clubs website.

Maybe have your FI start with what his gym already has to offer and see how that works.
    We tried one of those classes when we first signed up and his social anxiety doesn't work well in a group setting like that unfortunately. 

I saw that body20 has $100 a month for 20 minute sessions but I'm not sure just how much he will get out of that.

imageimage

• Options
    20 minutes with a PT?  Yeah not sure what a PT can do in only 20 minutes.  How many sessions does that give you?

Does your FI have any friends who are "gym rats?"  Maybe he could ask them for pointers and also make gym dates to meet them and work out?

• Options
    I used a PT when I was a grad student because it was a discounted rate.  The accountability was nice, but she really didn't push me enough.

You should probably meet with the trainers to see if you like him/her (well your FI should) and explain what you want and need and how you need to be motivated.

I don't think 20 minutes is worth the cost.  FI would have to do his own warm up and cool down to make it an effective work out.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    20 minutes with a PT?  Yeah not sure what a PT can do in only 20 minutes.  How many sessions does that give you?

Does your FI have any friends who are "gym rats?"  Maybe he could ask them for pointers and also make gym dates to meet them and work out?
    Only one time a week and him and his friends are more of the nerd-type/PC gamers than work out guys. Poo.
    AprilH81 said:
    I used a PT when I was a grad student because it was a discounted rate.  The accountability was nice, but she really didn't push me enough.

You should probably meet with the trainers to see if you like him/her (well your FI should) and explain what you want and need and how you need to be motivated.

I don't think 20 minutes is worth the cost.  FI would have to do his own warm up and cool down to make it an effective work out.
    They do a free session so I'll have him do one and see if he likes it. This is what their website says

"Body 20 uses fundamental principles of high intensity Interval training (HIIT).  HIIT exercises are performed with a high level of intensity and overload to produce an increase in flexibility, cardiovascular efficiency and muscular tone and strength.  The key to HIIT’s success is to rest between workouts so that your muscles are fully recovered.  Results are fully achieved in 20 minutes twice to three times a week.  Our workouts will tone your body, reduce body fat and increase muscular size and strength.  If your excuse for not exercising is lack of time, we solve your problem.  After all, everyone has 20 minutes."

I don't know how much we will accomplish with only 1 time per week. (We can always go to Planet Fitness a couple times a week together as well. I'm hoping after he gets going the motivation will kick in.)

imageimage

• Options

Only one time a week and him and his friends are more of the nerd-type/PC gamers than work out guys. Poo.
    AprilH81 said:

They do a free session so I'll have him do one and see if he likes it. This is what their website says

"Body 20 uses fundamental principles of high intensity Interval training (HIIT).  HIIT exercises are performed with a high level of intensity and overload to produce an increase in flexibility, cardiovascular efficiency and muscular tone and strength.  The key to HIIT’s success is to rest between workouts so that your muscles are fully recovered.  Results are fully achieved in 20 minutes twice to three times a week.  Our workouts will tone your body, reduce body fat and increase muscular size and strength.  If your excuse for not exercising is lack of time, we solve your problem.  After all, everyone has 20 minutes."

I don't know how much we will accomplish with only 1 time per week. (We can always go to Planet Fitness a couple times a week together as well. I'm hoping after he gets going the motivation will kick in.)
    I still don't think 20 minutes is enough time.  You still need to do a warm up and cool down and stretching, you can't just jump right into high intensity training.  Also you only get one session per week but it then goes to say that you need to do the routine 2-3 times a week to achieve results so your FI will then have to be motivated enough to go to the gym to do the routine and since you say he isn't very motivated I really don't think that this program will work for him.

I think you will be key in your FI motivation.  I would just make it a point to schedule at least 3 days a week where you and he go to the gym.  You can work together to plan out what you want to do at the gym those days and then on the weekend take a long walk together at a nearby park or trail.

• Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2014

I will go against the grain and say that 20 minutes would totally be worth it. You aren't really paying for "just" 20 minutes. You are paying to get him to the gym. He doesn't go to the gym without it, so this way he would actually be there, at the gym. Maybe after the 20 minutes is up, he'll jump on a treadmill for another 10 just because he's already there and in his workout clothes. And even if he doesn't, he's AT THE GYM.

It is SUCH a struggle to get my FI to get to the gym once a week. I have to bring it up a million times. Are you swimming today? Are you swimming today? Are you swimming today? Ugh. I hate it. And I swear I'm not a nag - he WANTS me to get him to the gym. If he doesn't go to the gym, he'll say something like, "Oh! Well, you never reminded me this week!" Bleeecch. I would love to pay someone else $100 to take this task from me.

Also, I swear guys have it so much easier than us when it comes to working out. I can run for an hour three times a week, and my FI can swim for 30 minutes once a week, and we will lose the same number of pounds. So annoying.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards