Chit Chat
Options

Tacos and wine

I have this fancy bottle of wine given to me by our hiring partner last summer, and Fi and I have been planning to open it up tonight to toast with.  We went to the farmer's market yesterday and bought a nice NY strip, veggies, etc.  Today I checked on the steak in the fridge and it is still frozen.  Womp womp.

So I think we're going to order tacos.  We're both hungry and don't have any other meat in the house.  Tonight is gonna be tacos and the nicest bottle of wine I've ever owned.

It's still classy if I order steak tacos, right?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Tacos and wine

• Options
    Sounds good to me! Our first dinner using our China was delivery pizza.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    These situations make the best memories! You'll always remember the tacos and wine :) I've been trying to follow a new rule that there is no reason to "save" the nice bottles/dishes/[insert something nice here], we should be using them just because! edited: to attempt paragraphs

• Options
    Tacos and wine are one of my favorite meals!!

I'm also the girl that drinks $182 dollar glasses of wine on the regular. My crystal glasses are worth $180 a piece and often the wine is probably worth $2. Keepin' it classy!
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    lc07 said:

I'm also the girl that drinks $182 dollar glasses of wine on the regular. My crystal glasses are worth $180 a piece and often the wine is probably worth $2. Keepin' it classy!
    At first I read this like one serving of wine was $182.  I almost choked on my (not $182) wine.

ETA: I saw at Macy's that crystal is that expensive.  Holy shit!  We registered for the simplest Lenox for like $30 each.  It's lead crystal but not "cut" crystal, with a silver rim.  I'm debating whether to register for nicer crystal or not, since we aren't registered for fine china, but holy shit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    edited October 2014
    lc07 said:

At first I read this like one serving of wine was $182.  I almost choked on my (not $182) wine.

--------- weird quote boxes

Right? That's the best part of my story. I sound super cool at the get-go. I am not refined enough palate wise to even appreciate $200 glasses of wine. I tried once for real. Nope. Don't waste it on me.
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    edited October 2014
    lc07 said:
    lc07 said:

Right? That's the best part of my story. I sound super cool at the get-go. I am not refined enough palate wise to even appreciate $200 glasses of wine. I tried once for real. Nope. Don't waste it on me.
    --------BOXES!-------

The bottle we are drinking right now is around $75, according to the inter webs.  It's damn tasty and I'll definitely say it's better than the $15 stuff I usually drink.  But I don't know how much better I could differentiate beyond that.

I would really love to get more "into" wine.  I'm good at beer.  And I have clear preferences about vodka.  But wine is sort of too complicated.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    slothieguy and I belong to several wine clubs, which means we get shipments of new wine every few months (and free tasting whenever we go to the tasting rooms, but that's beside the point...).  We were out of town for the past two months worth of weekends, so this past Saturday we went to see if we had anything we needed to pick up.  Apparently, this was the one time in the year they all lined up, so we biked home with about 15 bottles of wine between the two of us.  Part of me feels like a joke looking at our limited counter space cluttered with wine bottles, but the other part of me?  SO HAPPY.

We cracked a bottle open last night with our classy meal of Chipotle.  #noregrets
    Anniversary

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    edited October 2014

lc07 said:
    lc07 said:

--------BOXES!-------

The bottle we are drinking right now is around $75, according to the inter webs.  It's damn tasty and I'll definitely say it's better than the $15 stuff I usually drink.  But I don't know how much better I could differentiate beyond that.

I would really love to get more "into" wine.  I'm good at beer.  And I have clear preferences about vodka.  But wine is sort of too complicated.

--Boxes Keep Getting Stranger--

I agree. At that price point I can tell there is a difference and I can appreciate it. But I do not buy that kind of stuff except for super special occasions due to price. But I have a friend who is studying for her Master of Wine AND level 4 Master Sommeliers ... it's mind boggling. The good part is she has awesome wine out the wazoo. I do feel bad when she pours it for me, though, because I feel like she and her wine friends must have a better appreciation for it.
  • Options
    Now I really want tacos and wine...
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    edited October 2014

ETA: I saw at Macy's that crystal is that expensive.  Holy shit!  We registered for the simplest Lenox for like $30 each.  It's lead crystal but not "cut" crystal, with a silver rim.  I'm debating whether to register for nicer crystal or not, since we aren't registered for fine china, but holy shit.
    Mine are Waterford and were a gift from my parents when they purged a bunch of stuff. I love them. I'm drinking from one now. I drink from them all the time. I don't care if you come over and break one. I mean, I hope you don't but I'd rather use them than let them get dusty on the shelf. 

Edited: grammar
  • Options
    lc07 said:

Mine are Waterford and were a gift from my parents when they purged a bunch of stuff. I love them. I'm drinking from one now. I drink from them all the time. I don't care if you come over and break one. I mean, I hope you don't but I'd rather use them than let them get dusty on the shelf. 

What a great gift!  I;m torn between wanting something special like that to pass down to our kids, but not wanting to come off entitled on our wedding registry.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    lc07 said:

What a great gift!  I;m torn between wanting something special like that to pass down to our kids, but not wanting to come off entitled on our wedding registry.  
    I think it's a know-your-crowd thing. You can always use the cash you receive as gifts on something like that if you're concerned about it. We received some really large gifts unexpectedly at our wedding. The crystal wasn't one of them - my parents gave those to me separately, but I wouldn't blink at them being on someone's registry assuming there were a lot of other items in other price ranges. But, again, my circle tends to give pretty significant gifts compared to what I've heard on these boards.
  • Options
    @Ic07 Fi's family mostly gives cash, so that's an idea.  Or we can always add them shortly before the wedding and use the completion discount.

Honestly I'm mostly concerned about my dad rolling his eyes at me.  I don't think anyone else would care.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Tacos are always classy in my book.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I mean this nicely.. but your dad is going to roll his eyes no matter what you do, no? Anyway, I'm not saying you should put something expensive on your registry, just that I don't want you to always have to walk on eggshells because of him. I know that's easy for me to say.

PS. Did you have the most amazing taco/wine combo or what?
  • Options
    Tacos and wine sound delicious
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    I mean this nicely.. but your dad is going to roll his eyes no matter what you do, no? Anyway, I'm not saying you should put something expensive on your registry, just that I don't want you to always have to walk on eggshells because of him. I know that's easy for me to say.

Yes.  I just have to accept that.  Thank you, and I didn't take it in a bad way.

And YES our taco/wine combo was epic.  I got one steak taco and one chorizo.  The wine is sort of jammy; it's fermented in an unusual way.  So it actually stood up to the spicy tacos well.  

Going to bed now... work tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    lc07 said:

Yes.  I just have to accept that.  Thank you, and I didn't take it in a bad way.

And YES our taco/wine combo was epic.  I got one steak taco and one chorizo.  The wine is sort of jammy; it's fermented in an unusual way.  So it actually stood up to the spicy tacos well.  

Going to bed now... work tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
    YAY! Happy first day of work!! Obvi come back and tell us all about it.
  • Options
    lc07 said:

My grandfather had this funky ceramic wine goblet. It was lime green and said "cheap wine, expensive goblet". It always made me laugh and I called dibs on it when he passed away. I got that and his Rosary. Both mean a lot to me.
  • Options
    How can we even question tacos classiness here. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @JCBride2015 How was the first day of work??
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    @Ic07 It was actually great!  Thanks for asking.  I mostly did orientation stuff and set up my office tech.  But I did find out a bit about my cases: I might travel to Asia soon (!!!!) and two of the cases I'm working on are super high-profile matters.  That is pretty cool.

One of the junior associates I'll be working with is going on her honeymoon for two weeks and I will basically have to fill in for her.  It's a really small staff on that case so I'll be working directly with two partners on it.  The associate is basically running the case right now so I'm pretty nervous about stepping into her shoes.  But it's pretty awesome I'll get that experience so early, even before the rest of my "class" starts in November.
    That is AWESOME! Glad you had such a great day!

• Options
    @Ic07 It was actually great!  Thanks for asking.  I mostly did orientation stuff and set up my office tech.  But I did find out a bit about my cases: I might travel to Asia soon (!!!!) and two of the cases I'm working on are super high-profile matters.  That is pretty cool.

One of the junior associates I'll be working with is going on her honeymoon for two weeks and I will basically have to fill in for her.  It's a really small staff on that case so I'll be working directly with two partners on it.  The associate is basically running the case right now so I'm pretty nervous about stepping into her shoes.  But it's pretty awesome I'll get that experience so early, even before the rest of my "class" starts in November.
    If you get sent to China/Hong Kong, I am SO hiding in your luggage.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

That sounds amazing!! I love that they have such faith in you to do this work. They wouldn't have you do it if they didn't, you know? So have faith in yourself that you can do it. I'm really proud of you and really happy for you. And I'm super excited for you that you may be traveling to Asia soon! 

FTR, I have a lot of faith in you, too. When the looney toon from WW was going to sue our asses on the E board, I wished you were a CA lawyer so I could retain you if necessary ;) In all seriousness, you are super smart and I know you care a lot about what you do. I think I speak for all of us in wishing you boatloads of success - we just hope you don't get too busy that you have to leave TK!
  • Options
    Thank you @Ic07.  It really does help to think of it that way!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thank you @Ic07.  It really does help to think of it that way!
    Totally! What you do is so serious. I own two businesses. And I'm insured and blah blah blah but there is always that fear that I will get sued. God (and you) know my insurance doesn't cover everything. (Both of my businesses are also in CA - sue crazy state) Anyway, I am so nervous about people I hire and how they will represent my companies. The firm you are working for is confident in your abilities. And they are dealing with lawsuits.. not just imaginary ones like I am. They hired you and hired YOU specifically EARLY. They are smart. And they chose you specifically. I like that you are cautious and that you care so much but make sure to give yourself credit too, you know? *cheers*
  • Options
    lc07 said:

That sounds amazing!! I love that they have such faith in you to do this work. They wouldn't have you do it if they didn't, you know? So have faith in yourself that you can do it. I'm really proud of you and really happy for you. And I'm super excited for you that you may be traveling to Asia soon! 

FTR, I have a lot of faith in you, too. When the looney toon from WW was going to sue our asses on the E board, I wished you were a CA lawyer so I could retain you if necessary ;) In all seriousness, you are super smart and I know you care a lot about what you do. I think I speak for all of us in wishing you boatloads of success - we just hope you don't get too busy that you have to leave TK!
    WAIT WHAT 

I am a serial threadjacker but YALL REFERENCE SO MUCH CRAP THAT I MUST HEAR ABOUT. I'll go sit in a corner (AGAIN...) but first tell me this story.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards