Chit Chat
Options

Engagement Ring Insurance

2»

Re: Engagement Ring Insurance

• Options
    I have Perfect Circle insurance.  My renter's policy will cover only up to a certain amount for jewerly, regardless of the pieces and appraisals.  All of my other jewelry is covered by my renters and my wedding set is covered by the separate policy.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    perdonami said:
    I have been discussing insuring my engagement ring with DH and he is totally against it saying that it isn't worth insuring. 

Has anyone insured a ring under $6k? Is it worth it if the ring is not super expensive?
    its definitely worth insuring.  What happens if it gets lost or stolen or damaged to the point where by some rare occasion your jewelers lifetime care plan doesn't cover it.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ohmrs2014 said:

perdonami said:

I have been discussing insuring my engagement ring with DH and he is totally against it saying that it isn't worth insuring. 

Has anyone insured a ring under $6k? Is it worth it if the ring is not super expensive?

its definitely worth insuring.  What happens if it gets lost or stolen or damaged to the point where by some rare occasion your jewelers lifetime care plan doesn't cover it.

My co covers anything over 2500. I would absolutely insure it - many cars are worth less than $6k and we insure those! If you wouldn't want to pay for it all over again if it gets lost or stolen, insure it.

• Options
    We haven't done it yet either. We really need to! 

We have Allstate for our car insurance and renters insurance added to that will end up being maybe $10 a month and the rider for the ring wasn't very high either. We have to get my ring appraised so I know how much the rider will be. I have no idea what FI paid for it and he won't tell me, we'll just go by the appraisal value. I'm guessing he paid $3,000.

And to me 3K is a lot of money. If my ring were to be lost or stolen, we wouldn't just have the extra $3K to go out and buy another ring so the insurance is necessary. 

• Options
    Thanks so much for all the tips ladies!  Just waiting on the full appraisal back from the jeweler who reset my ring (It was my grandmother's stone that we added to) and I know approximately how much it should be (and it makes me super nervous walking around with that much money on my hand!)  We are going to get renters insurance and add the ring to it.  Thanks everyone!

• Options
    My wedding band cost $35. No point in insuring it... insurance would cost more than the ring!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    My wedding band cost $35. No point in insuring it... insurance would cost more than the ring!
    My wedding band cost $18! I wanted a band I could wear everywhere, every day that I could easily replace if something happened to it. The jeweler didn't believe I was serious after the e-ring my DH picked for me, but I was. We spent under $200 for both of our bands!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    ohmrs2014 said:
    perdonami said:

Insurance is always worth it. Trust me. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    My wedding band cost $18! I wanted a band I could wear everywhere, every day that I could easily replace if something happened to it. The jeweler didn't believe I was serious after the e-ring my DH picked for me, but I was. We spent under $200 for both of our bands!
    DH's was $32. :) Mine came as a set.

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    We opted for sterling silver since DH wanted something with some heft but was hesitant to go for tungsten (his fingers swell and he has to constantly remove his ring for work). It would have been less expensive had he not chosen an 8mm ring in a 13.5 (that we then had to have stretched because his fingers swelled in the 10 days between choosing the ring and picking it up). Boy has some chubby fingers! haha
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yeah the center stone in my ring and the halo around it are from the original setting (it was my grandmothers) but we added a lot to it (which my FI didnt' want me to know how much any of it cost.)  However I just got the appraisal so I'm going to get in insured asap now!  Just looking at different insurance carriers!

• Options
    Inkdancer said:
    We opted for sterling silver since DH wanted something with some heft but was hesitant to go for tungsten (his fingers swell and he has to constantly remove his ring for work). It would have been less expensive had he not chosen an 8mm ring in a 13.5 (that we then had to have stretched because his fingers swelled in the 10 days between choosing the ring and picking it up). Boy has some chubby fingers! haha

Inkdancer said:
    Mine is solid silver, to go with my e-ring. But I never have to worry about tarnish because I never take it off.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:
    Mine is solid silver, to go with my e-ring. But I never have to worry about tarnish because I never take it off.
    Mine has only come off a few times, like when I was cleaning the guts out of a chicken. Because it was icky. And when I had my hand in a tub of lard because I didn't want my ring to get lardy. DH works with electrical stuff, so he has to remove all metal from his body for some of the work that he does (which includes changing his clothes because he can't have metal buttons or zippers either). With his propensity for breaking and/or losing things... well, him losing an inexpensive silver ring would upset me far less than him losing a platinum one, even with insurance!
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards