Chit Chat

Hair, and those of us who can't "do" it

Hey there, womenfolk!

So I am growing out my hair from a pixie, and I'm now at that awkward point where it's basically a really short bob with a few stray layers and overgrown bangs. I am always curious what I might do with such a head of hair, and the typical consensus on most of the internet is, "BOBBY PINS!"

And I'm like, "'Bobby pins' is not a full sentence; also, I will cut you."

SO! Does anyone have ideas/pics for what to do with hair that can't go in a ponytail/bun? Give me your first-grade-level stuff; I am not crafty and my fine motor skills/patience levels are basically that of a small child when it comes to nitpicky stuff.
This baby knows exactly how I feel

Re: Hair, and those of us who can't "do" it

• If you find the answer to this, do let me know. No matter my hair length I can't do squat with it.

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • I am sorry.  I can offer you no advice.  I was born without some crucial "girl" genes and consequently can only do three things with my hair---straight, pony-tail, or Shirley Temple curly.  

• I'd just sort of pin pieces of it back and let it stick up at odd angles and just be generally mischievous-looking [a la Blue from the Raven Boys Series. (Don't make fun. They may be YA, but they're phenomenal.)]
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am sorry.  I can offer you no advice.  I was born without some crucial "girl" genes and consequently can only do three things with my hair---straight, pony-tail, or Shirley Temple curly.  
    Ditto here. Except I can't even do the curl. And I have naturally wavy hair. I'm a pro at straightening it but can't do much else besides that and a ponytail.
    Currently mine is doing a "mini Farah Fawcett" feathering situation--but only on one side. I could avoid it if I flat iron the shit out of it, but that seems awfully high maintenance for everyday.
  • I do not do hair. I can put hot rollers in my hair or put it in a bun. That's it. My BFF does my hair whenever I want to look good. Sorry, no advice here. Only tears for being inept at hair.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A cute headband?

A little side braid, with pins stuck in wherever you need them?

Pretty, thank you! Mine is actually slightly longer than this now, so evidently I could've been cuter MONTHS ago, dammit!

That particular headband is cute. In general I find them either juvenile-looking or really painful to wear, weirdly. I love that baby braid, though!
    Ditto here. Except I can't even do the curl. And I have naturally wavy hair. I'm a pro at straightening it but can't do much else besides that and a ponytail.
    I can't use a regular curling iron.  I can only use the single barrel ones.  The clamp part of the curling iron confuses me.  Trying to curl my hair is an exercise in futility.  My hair also hates curling, so I can forget having that gorgeous wavy hair everyone loves.  I have to do tight curls for it to stay at all.  

• I have no advice to offer, but I'm glad that I'm not the only hair failure female. My hair is long as shit and I have three styles - down, ponytail and up in this giant crazy bouffant thingy. I don't know how to use a curling iron and have never even tried.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    For the above, you’ll need: a 1-inch curling iron, a no-slip headband that matches your haircolor, a fine-tooth comb, and hairspray.
    1. Using your curling iron, curl all over, being sure to direct the curls away from your face. Spritz with hairspray.
    2. Determine the placement of your headband and slip it over the crown of your head, pin into place.
    3. Starting from the front section, begin twisting and tucking sections of hair up and over the headband, it should start resembling a crown.
    4. Continue twisting and tucking, being sure to fill in any gaps.
    5. If you have very short hair in the back, use your comb to hold the hair in place while you blast with hairspray.
    6. Set the style with hairspray

10 Fancy Ways to Style Long & Short Hair #theeverygirl
    10 Fancy Ways to Style Long & Short Hair #theeverygirl

To make the above:
    Start with clean, dry hair.
    Part your hair all the way around in a big horseshoe shape about 1- 1 1/2 inches above your ear. Clip that section up.
    French braid both sides and get them to meet in the middle in the back of your head. Take both of the loose ends and make a teeny tiny bun. If you need hairspray to make the bun stay, give it a little shot and then bobby pin. It’s TOTALLY okay if it’s a bit messy. It’s going to get covered up anyway.
    Let down all the hair from the section on top and take a bit of texturizing spray to it 
    Tease the crown area for some volume and then smooth it over with your comb.
    Give the top layer a light veil of hairspray.
    Now start twisting the sides back as you see Ali doing in photo 7. Pin the twist to the braid as you go. NOTE: That’s the whole point of the braid! You’re using it to secure the hair! That’s the trick to getting short hair “up”, otherwise everything tends to fall out or not reach.
    Repeat the same twist + pin method to the other side. Secure the twist by pinning it to the braid as you go.
    Once both sections reach the back, roll those two “tails” you have left over from the twists. I prefer to roll upward, but you can roll sideways or down if you prefer. Just be sure to check your work in the mirror as you go. Look at it from the front, the back and the side to make sure it looks balanced! If you have a hard time rolling the leftover pieces (aka: if they’re too short) you can always just tuck them into the braid. If the hair is too soft, spray it a little with some hairspray. 
    Once you’re done, give it a good veil of a strong-hold hairspray. 
  • doeydo said:
    (cut for length)
    These are mostly out of my ability range for day-to-day, but there are some nice "special occasion" styles in here!
  • Thank you for posting this thread!  I am in the middle of growing my hair out, and I don't know WTF to do with it.  I pretty much just pin my bangs back everyday and say "good 'nuff".  I kind of want to go back to my pixie cut, but that is higher maintenance, and I get bored with having it the same way every day.  However, my hair is super fine and looks bad if it's long because it just falls flat.

I am also at the point where I am just giving up on finding someone to do my hair for the wedding.  I can only find people who have portfolios of people with ugly hairstyles or people who are SUPER FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

Don't mind my hair rage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you for posting this thread!  I am in the middle of growing my hair out, and I don't know WTF to do with it.  I pretty much just pin my bangs back everyday and say "good 'nuff".  I kind of want to go back to my pixie cut, but that is higher maintenance, and I get bored with having it the same way every day.  However, my hair is super fine and looks bad if it's long because it just falls flat.

I am also at the point where I am just giving up on finding someone to do my hair for the wedding.  I can only find people who have portfolios of people with ugly hairstyles or people who are SUPER FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

Don't mind my hair rage.
    My biggest fear before my wedding day was that my hair was going to look TERRIBLE. Like, awful 90s prom hair. Every time in the past when I've had my hair done it came out looking horrible. So I just went to the salon I normally get my hair cut at and hoped for the best. My hair ROCKED the day of my wedding and totally worth the money. I don't know if I just got lucky or the girl was actually just that good. Don't give up hope!
  • I can never get bobby pins to work so a quick go to during "grow out time" I usually half straighten my hair just enough that it's not curling weird, mini claw clip the bangs back and hairspray to give some volume to the rest of my head.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the ones @doeydo posted. Am I the only challenged one who cannot french braid?! I never learned how to do it on other people, nevermind myself. I was also going to say lots of headbands. I wear little thin ones the color of my hair so it controls crazies but doesn't look like a 5 year old in hot pink.

Are you my triplet? (I already have a twin).

I can do wavy (i.e. washed and dried), straight (i.e. burned), or ponytail. I'll occasionally pull out the pigtails when I'm working around the house.

I can do wavy (i.e. washed and dried), straight (i.e. burned), or ponytail. I'll occasionally pull out the pigtails when I'm working around the house.
    If you love cheese and wine then I say yes! 

• This thread has inspired me to go get a haircut!  And get nail polish based on all of the awesome recommendations you guys gave me!

And I think I'm going to attempt my first makeup trial today, just so I can have a really good idea of what I want to do.  Mini spa day?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

You're my long-lost triplet!
  • I love that 3rd hairstyle @doeydo!

Yea I csnt really offer much advice either. I would probably just straighten it every day. Do you have a pic to show an example of what your hair looks like?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

Y'all sound like me! Except I have straight long (small of my back) hair. I can only do a brushing for volume, straighten, ponytail and waves with my straightener. I just invested in a Babyliss big barrel curler cause I have so much hair. Haven't used it yet. Here's to hoping I can make this work!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you have a small curling iron (less than a 1 inch barrel?)  You can hold the ends and wrap sections around to give it a cute wave.

Y'all sound like me! Except I have straight long (small of my back) hair. I can only do a brushing for volume, straighten, ponytail and waves with my straightener. I just invested in a Babyliss big barrel curler cause I have so much hair. Haven't used it yet. Here's to hoping I can make this work!
    Get the Sarah Potempa Beachwaver.  It's a lifesaver for making curls or waves.  I used to work for her and it's seriously fantastic, made my hair styling time go from about 40 minutes to 10

Get the Sarah Potempa Beachwaver.  It's a lifesaver for making curls or waves.  I used to work for her and it's seriously fantastic, made my hair styling time go from about 40 minutes to 10
    Ahh, I want to try it now!  Thank you!

• pinkcow13 said:
    I love that 3rd hairstyle @doeydo! Yea I csnt really offer much advice either. I would probably just straighten it every day. Do you have a pic to show an example of what your hair looks like?
    I will have to get back to you on that--it is looking a little different every day lately, and today is a post-Packer bar, out-till-2-last-night, no makeup, no shower kind of day, so I'm definitely not taking a selfie at the mo...
  • I don't "do" hair either. The most talented I can get is putting a sock bun in my hair. If I were you I would just pull the top part back into a small bump and secure with bobby pins or a barrette. Other then that I am useless to you.

I totally misread this. I thought you said you had straight long back hair that you brush. O_o
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• jenna8984 said:
    I love the ones @doeydo posted. Am I the only challenged one who cannot french braid?! I never learned how to do it on other people, nevermind myself. I was also going to say lots of headbands. I wear little thin ones the color of my hair so it controls crazies but doesn't look like a 5 year old in hot pink.
    No lie: go get a doll and practice braiding on the doll. It's not actually that hard to master, provided you can practice on something or someone. Once you learn it by sight, your muscle memory will kick in and you'll be able to do it on yourself.
    eyeroll
  • pinkcow13 said:
    I am sorry.  I can offer you no advice.  I was born without some crucial "girl" genes and consequently can only do three things with my hair---straight, pony-tail, or Shirley Temple curly.  

I totally misread this. I thought you said you had straight long back hair that you brush. O_o
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No. I have some back fuzz which I hate but they're not that long. @lacqueredlover I just bought the Babyliss so I'll be using that for now but thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it someday. I use the Bumble&Bumble Beach Surf Spray before I make waves with my Sedu straightener which by some miracle work together amazingly in my thick/straight hair.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards