Honeymoon Discussions

Are you taking your engagement ring with you on your honeymoon?

I'm torn. We're going to Hawaii and plan to spend the time split between eating, drinking, gettin' busy, and snorkling. I'm petrified to take my engagement ring, and every time I've traveled in the past year I've left it at home. But it seems so sad to not wear it on a honeymoon! But if it ended up buried in the sand, swiped from a hotel room, or sucked down the drain of a hot tub I will just... well... you know. I have insurance, but still. What is everyone else doing?

Re: Are you taking your engagement ring with you on your honeymoon?

• Just a thought - if it is on your finger and it fits properly, the only way you might lose it is armed robbery, which is not common at resorts and tourist areas.  If you leave it somewhere - well, I wouldn't.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think no matter how well it fits, unless it it so tight it takes concentration and strength to get it off, I would not be wearing it in the ocean. That seems really dumb to me. But maybe I'm just paranoid.
  • I took mine on my honeymoon.  It never occurred to me not to wear it on vacation.  I lived in the islands and snorkeled and dove with mine for years. ::shrugs::

That all said, we all have our own comfort levels.   If you want to spend a lifetime of leaving your e-ring at home.   Go for it.

FWIW - I have lost 3 small stones.  Every single time it was when I was at home.  Never on vacation. Nor soon after returning. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I did not wear my ring when on my first honeymoon. When I got engaged again, I looked back and thought that was somewhat silly. So, I wore it on my second honeymoon. Both were to tropical, water activity places. Maybe if I was rock climbing for my HM, I might not take it. I am probably way harder on my rings at home doing my normal routine than I was on my HM!

• I am in our pool 4-5 times a week and we go to the beach quite often. I have never lost my engagement ring (5 years) nor any diamonds from my wedding band (over 4 years). 

• I'm so jealous of all of your guys! My girlfriends and I all have fake rings that we wear when we travel or are out doing weird active-y things. Haha I think maybe we need to just chill out. But. I'm also notorious for losing things so maybe that's where it comes from. 

Also, I just asked FI if he thinks I should wear my ring on our honeymoon. His response, "Absolutely not, are you insane?" So clearly, crazy finds crazy. ;)
  • Stop worrying and just make sure it's insured.
  • I'm with everyone else...  I've only taken my ring off to clean it.  I keep it on when I shower, swim, etc.  If for some reason I don't feel like I'm in a safe area whether it's while I'm traveling or I'm out in the community seeing my clients I'll flip the diamond around to the palm of my hand.  If your ring is that easy to come off you might want to look at re-sizing it.  It shouldn't come off that easily...
  • I'm with everyone else here.  I wear my everywhere.  We live near the beach, swim every week and sail.  I would never dream of not wearing it on our honeymoon.  What if your house was broken into back home?  Which might be more likely since no one will be there for a week.  
    But if you're more comfortable not taking it, then don't.
  • I hike, shoot, exercise, etc. in my rings regularly. I figure I'm far more likely to damage them doing everyday things than sitting around in a resort or on vacation. Wearing fake rings makes zero sense to me. Insure them,make sure they fit properly, and live your life. 
  • There have been breakins throughout my area lately so I decided it would be safer with me than left at my house. When I was putting on sunblock and swimming I left it in the hotel safe but then I'd put it on after I showered and was done with the beach for the day.

I would not have left it in the room if there wasn't a safe, I would have worn it. But since we could set the safe code we were comfortable with that.

• Wore mine the entire time on our HM (except when I was showering and sleeping...the damn ring snags my hair).  I swam in the pool, went snorkeling, walked around and never once had my finger ripped off my hand, ate hot wings, dug in the sand, sailed on a boat, etc, etc.

To me I think it is really silly to either not wear it or get a fake set.  Just make sure it is insured and enjoy it.

• What is the point of having it if you arent going to wear it? Make sure if fits and is fully covered by insurance then wear it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I guess I'm just way less comfortable than you all wearing a piece of jewelry that is worth more than my car. I still wear it 99% of the time. But I don't wear it when I travel. I don't wear it when I do volunteer work. And I don't wear it at the beach. I can still "live my life" while wearing a fake engagement ring, and I feel way more comfortable knowing my ring is safe at home in a safe instead of on my finger. But to each their own! I didn't realize I was so in the minority with this, since my girlfriends do the same! I thought it was really normal! 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    FWIW - I work in the islands for 15+ years (on a sailboat, snorkel trips and on beaches). In that time I did see/hear of a few people lose their rings forever. It wasn't once a day or even once a week. It was like 2 times a year. Considering we average a 85% occupancy rate it was not that many. 

Of those that did lose their ring, the vast majority were newlywed MALES. YEP, often a wedding band is the first ring a man wears. More often then not they are not fit properly. I have seen many, many men lose their rings (and find them) because they are too big. 

Another way is they are not use to the ring and will start playing with them. I've seen plenty of men looking in the sand for their rings. 99% find them, but still. 

If you have to worry about a ring it rarely the e-ring you have to worry about. At least IME it's your groom's ring that will come off either by it being too big or them playing with the ring and it drops.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    FWIW - I work in the islands for 15+ years (on a sailboat, snorkel trips and on beaches). In that time I did see/hear of a few people lose their rings forever. It wasn't once a day or even once a week. It was like 2 times a year. Considering we average a 85% occupancy rate it was not that many. Of those that did lose their ring, the vast majority were newlywed MALES. YEP, often a wedding band is the first ring a man wears. More often then not they are not fit properly. I have seen many, many men lose their rings (and find them) because they are too big. Another way is they are not use to the ring and will start playing with them. I've seen plenty of men looking in the sand for their rings. 99% find them, but still. If you have to worry about a ring it rarely the e-ring you have to worry about. At least IME it's your groom's ring that will come off either by it being too big or them playing with the ring and it drops.
    Happened to my H.  Went snorkeling and off comes his ring.  Luckily I am very good at those hidden object games and I was able to spot it on the ocean floor and he was able to retrieve it. But H has "tried" to lose his ring a number of times.  Like you said, he plays with it constantly and takes it off and puts it down somewhere and forgets where he put it.  One time he thought he lost his ring forever only to find it 8 months later in his shorts pocket.  He must have taken it off during a vacation and slipped the ring into his pocket and then since it was coming up on winter never wore the shorts again until he went to Florida and bam, there it was.

• Ahhh! I do all of these things. This is the first ring I have ever worn (I'm not a jewelry person) and I am constantly playing with it. Taking it off to do the dishes and then forgetting where I left it. I've gotten WAY better after having it for 10 months, but I had about a 100 panic attacks in the first month or so. So I can totally see how newlywed husbands would lose their rings on their honeymoon! Ridiculous. We should have gone with the ring finger tattoos. (Kidding.)
  •  

@jenijoyk Well my ring was not cheap but it's certainly not a brand new car price either so maybe that's why I'm more comfortable wearing it all the time. Even with insurance, I'd be a little terrified to wear anything over $10k.

But I don't get the fake ring part. I see no need, if I didn't want to wear a very expensive piece to a certain place, I'd definitely just not wear one for the day. What do I care if strangers maybe think I'm single? Even at a bar if someone tried to hit on me I'd politely say no thank you and walk away, I don't need to be flashing a ring in their face for them to know.

• jenijoyk said:

I guess I'm just way less comfortable than you all wearing a piece of jewelry that is worth more than my car. I still wear it 99% of the time. But I don't wear it when I travel. I don't wear it when I do volunteer work. And I don't wear it at the beach. I can still "live my life" while wearing a fake engagement ring, and I feel way more comfortable knowing my ring is safe at home in a safe instead of on my finger. But to each their own! I didn't realize I was so in the minority with this, since my girlfriends do the same! I thought it was really normal! 

I have a fake ring too! So I'm in the minority with you. :) But I think the real rings will be coming with us on our honeymoon, even if they stay in the hotel safe during the day.
  • For those that are wearing fake rings.  Can I ask why you wear them?  Is it so those around you know that you are married?  Or are you just not comfortable having an empty finger?  Or is it because you don't want your real ring stolen.  I mean if I am going to rob/mug you how will I know that the ring is fake before hand?  I won't, so you will still get mugged, possibly hurt, no matter if you are wearing your real ring or not.  Yeah, I know that means your real ring is still safe but that is what insurance is for.

I just feel that your SO bought you this ring for you to wear so I can't really see a reason not to wear it.  It would be like buying a car but then not driving it because you are afraid to get into an accident.  Or buying a Birkin bag but never carrying because you don't want anything to happen to it.

• I bought mine just for fun so I could have something to wear while my ring was being sized. The first day I kept panicking bc I could feel it was "missing" if that makes sense. So we went out and bought the fake one. Plus we were newly engaged and excited so I did want to have something to wear.
    Now that I have it, I still wear it, but it's more for when I'm afraid it's going to get "gross" not that I'm afraid to lose it necessarily. For example, I would wear it on the beach bc Id be afraid of sand getting permanently lodged somewhere.
    To relate it to your examples, it would be like not driving a new car off-roading through the mud or not taking a Birkin bag to a dirty bar.
    I know the logical answer would be to just not wear a ring at all but I still have that excited part of me that wants to have something sparkly on that finger!
  • But I still wear it almost all the time. I don't put it away, only to bring it out on special occasions. With the exception of vacations, I take it off probably once or twice a month. That's still 29-30 days out of the month where I wear it.

And if you bought a Birken bag, would you really take it to the beach? I wouldn't. 

• shaker227 said:
    I bought mine just for fun so I could have something to wear while my ring was being sized. The first day I kept panicking bc I could feel it was "missing" if that makes sense. So we went out and bought the fake one. Plus we were newly engaged and excited so I did want to have something to wear. Now that I have it, I still wear it, but it's more for when I'm afraid it's going to get "gross" not that I'm afraid to lose it necessarily. For example, I would wear it on the beach bc Id be afraid of sand getting permanently lodged somewhere. To relate it to your examples, it would be like not driving a new car off-roading through the mud or not taking a Birkin bag to a dirty bar. I know the logical answer would be to just not wear a ring at all but I still have that excited part of me that wants to have something sparkly on that finger!
    Me too! A few months ago my girlfriend and I went on a girl's trip to Bermuda. I wasn't going to be like, "Hey babe! I know we just got engaged, but I'm going on a weeklong drinking binge in the tropics with a naked ring finger!" It's not like I need everyone around me to know I'm taken - it's more of a nice reminder of my FI who thinks I'm tops! I like being engaged and I like wearing an engagement ring! 

But if I'm know I'm going to be drinking heavily, hanging out at the beach for days, swimming in the ocean, and wandering around Bermuda at night, I'd just rather have a fake ring on than my super fancy one. 
  • My ring is a blue sapphire that cost $780, so I wear it all the time (excluding showers and when handling raw meat lol). I think you should take it, especially since you have the insurance. Maybe just practice now on not taking it off so much. Do you really need to take it off to do the dishes or wash your hands? As long as you get in a routine and place it in the same place every time you MUST take it off, you'll be fine. smh... I will never understand the inflated price of diamond engagement rings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenijoyk said:
    But I still wear it almost all the time. I don't put it away, only to bring it out on special occasions. With the exception of vacations, I take it off probably once or twice a month. That's still 29-30 days out of the month where I wear it.

And if you bought a Birken bag, would you really take it to the beach? I wouldn't. 
    Probably. Especially if it was a larger size bag where it could hold my nook and sunscreen and phone, etc.  I buy things to use them.  If I bought a car that was actually built for off roading (not a small sports car) then I would be happy to drive through some mud and puddles and fallen branches and what not.  I just don't get having something and then not using it.  It just seems like a waste to me.

• shaker227shaker227 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    I think we all just have different comfort levels when it comes to our rings! I definitely don't think I'm wasting mine - maybe being overly cautious - but this was a big investment for my FI and I want to treat it as such!
  • Also I bet if you ask me in a few years I will have a different opinion :) it's just too new right now, and I was never a huge jewelry person so I don't know how much it can take, so to say.
  • I had a plain platinum travel band during my first marriage. I wore it to work at times (I did some manual labor for a bit) and on some vacations. The ring was blessed during the ceremony, so it was just as significant in the eyes of the church. While I don't know the exact cost of my current e-ring, it's definitely up there in cost. I'd guesstimate it's worth the amount of a small house in some parts of the country. However, I do not have any travel bands nor do I leave it at home. I've turned the diamond into the palm once, when we were in Johannesburg. I probably didn't even need to do that. While it would be devastating to lose, it's heavily insured and meant to be worn when appropriate.

• Isn't your fiancé upset you don't wear the ring that he spent so much money on?  I certainly would be... 

I'd ditch the fake ring.  Once you're married and you choose to not wear your engagement ring then just wear the band. 

• We went on vacation just after getting engaged and I left it at home bc I was afraid of losing it etc. it was like 2 weeks later do I was nervous. Not sure what I will do for the HM although mine needs resized right now for sure Friend got married this summer and her husband lost his ring playing pool vball at the resort. Crazy thing another guy had the same thing happen the next day but somehow my friends ring was found when they tried to help the other guy. Talk about lucky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards