Just Engaged and Proposals

How Do I Deal With An Embarrassing How We Met Story?

My fiancé and I met at a college party. I went over to this party to give my friends a ride home. Well, when I got there this guy approached me (my fiancé) and was drunk beyond belief. We ended up talking for hours until everyone left the party. The next morning I found out that before he met me, he made out with another girl at the party. I was extremely embarrassed and upset because I wasn't the only girl he was with that night. It still bothers me that we met under those circumstances, so I need help getting over this and figuring out how to word this story on our wedding website.

Answers

• jwaka24 said:
    My fiancé and I met at a college party. I went over to this party to give my friends a ride home. Well, when I got there this guy approached me (my fiancé) and was drunk beyond belief. We ended up talking for hours until everyone left the party. The next morning I found out that before he met me, he made out with another girl at the party. I was extremely embarrassed and upset because I wasn't the only girl he was with that night. It still bothers me that we met under those circumstances, so I need help getting over this and figuring out how to word this story on our wedding website.
    So just don't tell people about the other girl and say you met at a college party. The entire world doesn't need to know all about your dirty laundry from however long ago. 
  • Yeah, this one is MUD. If you need more detail, "We met at a college party, and couldn't stop talking - in fact, I think we talked our way through a whole case of beer! We clicked instantly."

I mean, my fiancé and I were friends with benefits on and off for YEARS before I agreed to actually try dating him, but the story we tell anyone who doesn't know that already is just "We dated a bit years back, but reconnected a couple years ago."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OMG he made out with another girl before he even met you?!?!  You are the only person in the world that has ever happened to so I am not sure any of us can tell you how to deal with that.

Oh wait, you just tell people you met at a college party.

And you were seriously upset that he made out with a girl earlier that night before he even met you?

• FI and I met at a college bar one night. We got super drunk, went back to his place, and had all the sex. And then I left before he woke up in the morning. A few days later he bumped into me at the bookstore and asked me to come "hang out", which actually led to our first date. We tell most people (who do not know the real story) "We met at a party and then hung out the next day and we haven't stopped hanging out since" because it's cute. 

It is so NBD, but honestly, he made out with another girl the same night? So? I mean...really?
  • I slept with H the night I met him, and some how I managed to leave that detail off my wedding website. Shocking, I know.

Say, "we met at a college party" 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I went home with another guy the night I met H.  H finds it hilarious now.  
    Anniversary

• My FI was so hammered by the time she showed up at the NYE party I met him at that he couldn't really speak. A few hours later he tried to climb out of a third story window.

"We met at a party"

BFD.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited October 2014
    Yeah. My H is my high school boyfriend's best friend. 

"We met through friends".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • hkda2003hkda2003 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    My FI and I met at a tattoo shop when I was getting my nipples pierced. The piercings were paid for by the girl I was dating at the time. (Yes I dated women as one point). He happened to be her next door neighbor but I had never met him before. He worked night shift at the time, and I just never saw him. He asked if he could see my new piercings... I said now way!! That's how we met... I obviously couldn't put that on my website!!
  • This is redic. You're upset he made out with a girl the night you met...before you met.

We met at a collage party.
  • "We met at a party - we stayed there talking until everyone else had left. Later, we fell in love and here we are."

NOT: 
    "We met at a binge drinking, college house party - you know, the kind with the dingy basement, poor lighting, and fruity punch that gets everyone shit faced? Right, so then he was made out with this chick and was shit faced. I loved the way he could barely focus on my face and swayed like a tree in the wind. He loved the way I didn't judge him for throwing up and covering it with a couch cushion."'

Believe it or not, very few people would actually read a long story on your website. It's better to keep it short and sweet and leave intimate details out.
    *********************************************************************************

• I hate to see what other things you stress about or can't figure out if this is such a puzzler for you. Like PPs said, it's pretty simple to just leave the details out.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • So, you went to pick up your friends to drive them home, yet you were drunk beyond belief when you got there and your FI came up to talk to you?

That's great...

• So, you went to pick up your friends to drive them home, yet you were drunk beyond belief when you got there and your FI came up to talk to you? That's great...
    HE was drunk beyond belief, not her.
  • I met my FI while I was dating someone else. And cheated on that someone else with FI because I was like 20 and an asshole.

That part is not on our wedding website.

• Are you still in college? Or was this a college party that you went to when you were still in high school?
  • Meeting at a college party is soooo not a big deal. Just don't explain the making out with someone else part. It's irrelevant. 

I met my FI while dating someone else. FI indicated to mutual friends he liked me and mutual friends told me. I broke up with ex, and...dated someone else even though I knew FI liked me. FI indicated TO ME he liked me when he heard that relationship was going downhill.  FI asked me to hang out multiple times...I said no. FI showed up at a BBQ I hosted for mutual friends (he was invited). I paid attention to him finally, and later that week we went out to discuss a job opportunity at my organization that he was interested in. He interviewed at my org the following week, and we went to a baseball game that evening. I broke up with BF that night. FI and I had our first official "date" a week later. 

...I just tell people we met through mutual friends ;)

• My fiancé and I met on a weird college dating website. No clue how to word this one.
  • My fiancé and I met on a weird college dating website. No clue how to word this one.
    You met in college. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Ditto ShesSoCold. You met in college. Why are people over complicating this?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Pssst here's a secret: no one really gives that much of a fuck about your backstory and don't require the nitty gritty details.   A simple "we met in college" or "we met through mutual friends" (my go-to) is fine.  Like Addie said, I have no idea why this is so hard.
    Anniversary

• I met my husband through one of my ex-boyfriends. When people ask how we met, I say, "Oh, through a mutual friend." That's it. You don't need to over complicate it. And honestly, people really don't care that much. 
  • Share the details that you want to share. 

I've made it very clear that I want one "quote" from the night my fiancee and I met left out of all wedding (and pre-wedding) toasts/speeches. Whether or not it will happen, I'm not sure. 

Marley
    www.marleyjustine.com
  • I met FI on okcupid. We like to add, "At least it wasn't plenty of fish or farmers only."
    Anniversary

• AddieCake said:
    My fiancé and I met on a weird college dating website. No clue how to word this one.

Because we went to different colleges :) In different states.
  • AddieCake said:
    My fiancé and I met on a weird college dating website. No clue how to word this one.

You met at a party, that is literally all you have to say.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• AddieCake said:

Still not a crisis. "We met in college" still explains how you met without adding unnecessary details that literally nobody will care about. Or, if you'd like to get more specific, "we met online." Wooooo. Lots of people meet online now. It's not weird. 
  • @esstee33 Yeah, I suppose you're right. I can't say we met in college because all of our friends and family know we didn't attend the same college
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards