Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress Regret -- Updated!

Okay, here goes. I purchased my dress about a month after getting engaged. I was home visiting my family (I don't live close to them), and it was my first shopping trip. I went to three stores and tried on maybe 15 dresses. This one was actually one of the first ones I tried on; it was the only one that made me teary-eyed. But now I'm having some reservations/regret. First things first, I'm getting married on a plantation in Charleston. I walked the property with my fiance last weekend, and now I'm worried that a semi-cathedral train might be too much. I'm also not sure I love how far down the lace goes. If I keep the dress, I'm thinking I'd want my seamstress attach the belt at my natural waist and stop the lace there, and then add one or two more layers of organza. Is it normal to have second thoughts? Should I keep looking for a dress and try and sell this one? Help!

Re: Dress Regret -- Updated!

• I am probably not going to be much help because I think that dress is gorgeous on you!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Okay, here goes. I purchased my dress about a month after getting engaged. I was home visiting my family (I don't live close to them), and it was my first shopping trip. I went to three stores and tried on maybe 15 dresses. This one was actually one of the first ones I tried on; it was the only one that made me teary-eyed. But now I'm having some reservations/regret. First things first, I'm getting married on a plantation in Charleston. I walked the property with my fiance last weekend, and now I'm worried that a semi-cathedral train might be too much. I'm also not sure I love how far down the lace goes. If I keep the dress, I'm thinking I'd want my seamstress attach the belt at my natural waist and stop the lace there, and then add one or two more layers of organza. Is it normal to have second thoughts? Should I keep looking for a dress and try and sell this one? Help!

it is normal to have second thoughts, especially if you bought your dress early.  But, that dress is gorgeous on you. I think if you remove the lace overlay and end it at your natural waist, you will end up looking chopped in half.  Leave it as is.
  • I am probably not going to be much help because I think that dress is gorgeous on you!
    I'm with this. I think it's normal to be nervous, but I think you look stunning! 
  •  The dress looks wonderful on you.

• Holy crap, that dress is gorgeous and gorgeous on you! I think it's perfect just the way it is, personally :)
  • I second QueerFemme's opinion on chopping it in half, and echo PP in that it's a stunning dress as-is and that you look amazing in it. 
  • I agree with all PPs. Don't alter that dress - its stunning and perfect for you. You look absolutely gorgeous. Don't let time and doubt change your mind. Remember why you got teary and chose it in the first place.
    *********************************************************************************

• This will be absolutely gorgeous for a plantation wedding... wow!  stunning!
  • edited August 2014
    Probably 1 out of 5 posts on this board are about dress regret. So yes, it's very common! It looks gorgeous on you. Leave it as is.

• I think the dress is beautiful as is, and looks stunning on you.  That said, I think it's totally normal to have second thoughts.  I ordered mine a few weeks ago and have had second thoughts about ten times.  I'm sure I'll feel differently once I put it on.  

Your seamstress can certainly make alterations, including shortening the train, if you so desire.
  • I wouldn't change a thing about that dress. 
  • Dress regret is completely normal! I think that dress will go fine with your venue and it looks gorgeous on you! I wouldn't remove the lace overlay in fear of it chopping your body in hald as QF stated. Leave it as is.

• LOVE the dress on you, definitely don't do anything to the lace! I would probably have the train shortened, though, if it was me. Or, at least have a serious conversation with the seamstress to make sure it can be bustled exactly how you want it, and totally out of the way, after the ceremony. 
  • @MandyMost, sorry just seeing this. Yes, I think I may have the train shortened just a litttle bit.
  • I think that dress looks amazing on you!! I totally had dress regret too, but I ended up loving it when it all come together. 
  • Dress is beautiful.  

I had an outside wedding.  I didn't want a train but my dress came with one.  I just  put a permanent bustle in so it would not drag.    

Now I think the train is just fine for your wedding, but there is the option of putting a bustle or shortening the train  if you are worried.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • For the love of everything that is holy, you better keep that dress! It's gorgeous and there is a reason you felt teary in it. I think a majority of us have had second thoughts about our dresses, but this is perfect on you. No pressure haha.
  • @drina0218 haha! Thank you. I'm definitely going to keep it. I'm going back to the bridal shop in October to start looking for bridesmaids dresses, and I'm going to try the sample on again too. I think I just need to be in it again as a reminder.
  • Update... Dress is in and I'll be trying it on next week. Wish me luck.
  • Wow.  Congrats.
  • Yay!!!!!
    *********************************************************************************

• This dress is beautiful on you! I think it might be prudent to shorten the train, though. 
  • Thanks @SachaBee. I'm actually keeping the train as-is, however.
  • You look gorgeous in that dress!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is gorgeous!  Just stunning!  Congrats!
    Happiness is an inside job
  • Thank you for the update. Your dress is absolutely stunning on you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards