Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is this an ok alternative to champagne?

Champagne is pretty expensive, and we also have a pretty good coupon for a site that sells wine, but not champagne. So, for anyone who knows a little about wine - Would "Prosecco Spumante" be a good alternative? All I know is that it's a sparkling white wine.

I don't want it to be super obvious that it's not champagne, but I'm not necessarily trying to hide the fact. Personally, I'm already going to be drinking sparkling cider instead (which will be an option for guests, too), so I don't give a hoot, but I want something for people who prefer a more traditional option. I'm just wondering if they are at all similar, to make for an ok substitute... 

Re: Is this an ok alternative to champagne?

• BlueBirdMBBlueBirdMB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014

Champagne is pretty expensive, and we also have a pretty good coupon for a site that sells wine, but not champagne. So, for anyone who knows a little about wine - Would "Prosecco Spumante" be a good alternative? All I know is that it's a sparkling white wine.

I don't want it to be super obvious that it's not champagne, but I'm not necessarily trying to hide the fact. Personally, I'm already going to be drinking sparkling cider instead (which will be an option for guests, too), so I don't give a hoot, but I want something for people who prefer a more traditional option. I'm just wondering if they are at all similar, to make for an ok substitute... 

Prosecco is usually cheaper than champagne.  It is an Italian sparkling wine that isn't aged as long.  Spumante (Atsti) however is a completely different animal.  It's a very sweet sparkling wine that doesn't have much relationship to champagne other than the fact that it's sparkling.  I have no idea what those two words would mean together.

We had prosecco and it was delicious.  It's not necessary to have any sparkling wine though.
  • Prosecco Spumante is usually very sweet, so it's not that similar to champagne except for the sparkling factor. See if you can get just regular prosecco instead.

Also, you definitely don't need to have champagne/prosecco/etc. at your wedding unless you want to. We didn't, because we know our crowd is a beer and wine crowd for the most part, and so everyone just toasted with whatever drink they had at hand. I've been to a lot of weddings where champagne is handed out for the toasts, and a large number of people turn it down, so I thought it would be a waste of money to have it at ours (since we would have been charged per guest, as opposed to per consumption).
  • We had domestic "champagne"—dry sparkling white wine. In fact, we very rarely ever have actual Champagne (usually we do prosecco or cava) because it's so damn expensive and there are many delicious, cheaper alternatives. But PP are right, Spumante is not a dry white. It's quite sweet. 
  • PPs are right - Prosecco is fine for an alternative, but the Spumante is super sweet and not a great choice. There are tons of decent, reasonably priced sparkling wines out there though - I'd look for something with brut/sec/sekt/dry in the name if you aren't familiar with wines. Otherwise you run the risk of getting something that tastes like juice, which isn't going to please anyone who is a wine fan or expecting Champagne.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Another vote in favor of what PPs said.  Prosecco = delicious.  Anything sparkling that isn't the really cheap stuff (Andre, Cook's, J. Roget--this one is worst of the worst) or really sweet will suffice.  Spumante and really sweet aren't going to well-liked, and often taste bad/obviously cheap.  I used Korbel Brut as my well champagne since it's what my caterer had for the least expensive option.  You can get it for about $11/bottle in bulk.  I've heard that for inexpensive sparkling, Jaume Serra Cava isn't bad.  You should be able to get it for about $7/bottle.  I have friends that buy it for tailgating to make mimosas when they don't want to spend for Moet or Korbel Natural.  I haven't tried it though, so I can't personally give you feedback.  

I buy Barefoot Bubbly for tailgating and haven't had any complaints--$8/bottle, sometimes less if it's on sale and I buy 6+ bottles at Kroger.  I did Freixienet (sp?) for one tailgate, but didn't try it.  
  • Replacing champagne with prosecco or cava is a smart choice. Both have better value for the money. Since you are looking to order online, could you find some names of sparkling options in your price range and then see if a local store has two or three that you can try and then order your favorite with the discount. 

You mention you'll be drinking cider so if you aren't a drinker, maybe enlist a friend who does like sparking wine? I can tell you this is one "job" I'd be happy to take on as a bridesmaid. You give me the wine, I'll drink it!
  • I'm not a fan of prosecco because of how sweet it is. But I'm also really "meh" on champagne anyway. We didn't serve champagne at all at our wedding. For the one toast we had, people just raised up whatever they were drinking.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm not a fan of prosecco because of how sweet it is. But I'm also really "meh" on champagne anyway. We didn't serve champagne at all at our wedding. For the one toast we had, people just raised up whatever they were drinking.
    Are you actually thinking of prosecco or this prosecco spumante?  Prosecco is quite dry and the only difference in taste from champagne is that it has less bubbles.
  • klk111415klk111415 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Champagne just means that the grapes were grown in the Champagne region of France.  Lots of couples are using prosecco or sparkling wine as an alternative.  A friend of mine used a very sweet sparkling wine which was cheap and it worked because they served it with strawberries before their ceremony- but they also just liked the flavor more.  People won't be drinking a huge amount of this- it's just for toasting and some people don't even drink it at all.  I know a lot of cheap sparkling wines by barefoot, yellowtail, even some no name brands and they all taste fine.  

Just make sure you try whatever you get before bulk ordering.  

Are you actually thinking of prosecco or this prosecco spumante?  Prosecco is quite dry and the only difference in taste from champagne is that it has less bubbles.

No, I'm thinking of prosecco. Any I've had are sweet for my taste.
    *********************************************************************************

• I think that any sparkling wine would work.  Avoid anything that's too sweet if you want to maintain a crisp champagne-like taste.  Usually the labels talk about the flavors, so go for one that's described as dry. 

If desired, you could also serve a sweeter sparkling wine if, by chance, people would rather have that, but most may just want the dryer option.  Many of these aren't all that expensive, but it depends on the brand. 

• I've never had a sweet Prosecco. Only dry. I am very fond of it. 

• I've never had a sweet Prosecco. Only dry. I am very fond of it. 
    Same here.  It doesn't get much drier. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards