Wedding Woes

unpopular opinions

add your own.

i wish recycling wasn't emphasized so much. it relies too much on an infrastructure to be in place. i think more emphasis should be on reducing and reusing.

i don't support no kill shelters. i don't think "no kill" is a good use of money and resources. a feral cat living in a cage for 5 years unadopted and hissing at every animal is not living a good life. i think it's better to put down unadoptable animals rather than let them live forever in a shelter. yes, this means that a lot of cats and dogs will die, but that is the price humanity pays for domesticating animals and not caring for them. 

i also don't support trap/neuter/release. it's better to trap and send to a shelter for evaluation; releasing a feral animal just condemns it to a life of starving to death, being hit by a car or dying painfully of some treatable disease. feral colonies can be vectors for disease, and they can be dangerous to domestic animals.

i would just like to emphasize that i believe animals should be rigorously evaluated for likely adoption before being put down. age and health issues are not factors in adoptability; aggression is.

Re: unpopular opinions

• Trap/neuter/release makes me angry. It doesn't resolve the problem of that animal carrying disease, ruining property, or endangering other wildlife. In our area, we actually had a problem with coyotes (we saw one chilling in the street while walking with DS as a baby) because people had let their cats be outdoor animals and the coyotes were like "sweet, easy dinner!"
  • since there was an animal theme already:

outdoor cats: I CAN'T. They are unnatural predators that harm wild bird populations, they breed all over, and generally are half-assed pets. 

PETA as a whole. 

• people tore me a new one ~4 years ago on here when i mentioned the 14 feral cats that we caught in a 3 month span and turned over to our local animal control group. They would take pictures, post online, try to find the owner - if nobody stepped forward within 3 days, they'd evaluate for adopability and put them down if deemed unadoptable. 14 feral cats is too many feral cats to be roaming a residential neighborhood. 

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I am for capital punishment in some cases.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• PMeg819PMeg819 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
  • I'm actually pro TNR because I think a lot of places (especially very urban and very rural) can humanely sustain a population of cats to control vermin.
    (Locally, feral cat orgs will do a TNR transfer--basically they find people with barns/heated outbulings/etc and give them enough fixed ferrals to be their colony of barn cats.  The farmer gets barn cats to eat mice, the ferals get a 'home' and no kittens are made for the rescue group to have to deal with.  win win win)

I usually get static re: us not recycling.  When we last checked (i need to check again), it was incredibly expensive to get recycling pickup (in addition to what we pay for garbage pickup)--we save up some stuff (light bulbs and batteries and such) and I toss it into whatever dropoff exists somewhere, and everything else ends up being trash.
    But I'm really good about the first 2 r's--I mean, I try to buy containers of yogurt/applesauce/pudding that I spoon into dishes for lunch, etc. But all people see is "don't recycle' 

My own...I find a lot of  'nontraditional students' to be really frickin annoying.  I deal w/ a lot of them and, overall, they seem to think they know *so* much more than the 20 year olds on any subject--and seem to think that it excuses them not knowing stuff.  And they are SO much more vocally drama-llama.
    I'm OK w/ needing refreshers--I do too (I had to look up something embarassingly simple science-y yesterday about measurements)--but "wah, this teacher is so hard, he expects me to remember FRACTIONS for my Physics class" makes me want to dropkick someone.

I'm sure the younger students do it too, maybe I"m just expecting more of older students.

• We have a feral cat colony that's about 2 blocks away.  We've TNR'd some of them, just to get them fixed and to get their feline leukemia shots and I know the neighbors have done the same (they are marked when TNR'd, so it doesn't get replicated).  I think as a neighborhood we've probably done about 10 cats.  I'm not sure how large it is anymore, since it seems to be dying out (from being hit by cars and winter and not breeding).  We have 2 that we've seen that wander into our back yard to catch the mice that come in from the wooded area around the house and I'm good with that.  Beyond that, I don't really care what happens to feral cats.  Until we get people trained to not be douchebags re: animals, they're always going to exist.  And since most cities don't actually want to pay someone to catch and kill, ~shrug~ there's really no other answer.

Oh and the "no kills" usually make sure they take/save adoptable animals.  That's how they make their monies to continue existing.  It's usually a specialty shelter that takes not adoptable types and keeps them until the animals pass.

• Continuing with the animal theme, I do not believe that adopting an animal from a shelter in inherently "better" than selecting an appropriate breed for your life and then consciously buying from a reputable/conscientious breeder. I believe that furthering breeds is also a good thing and having knowledge about what kind of an animal you're bringing home is also good. I believe that both choices have equal positives and negatives and only the individual knows what is right for them. One helps contribute to healthy dog breeds which furthers the positive traits that we look for in these animals. The other helps save dog lives. The former sometimes gets corrupted for money and the latter seems to encourage people thinking "Oh I can just let Fifi have puppies and drop them off at the shelter if they don't sell.". So I think there are pros and cons to both sides. But at least in my experience, this has not been a popular opinion and people seem to think I'm "wrong" for considering the adoption of a purebred dog being as viable as the adoption of a shelter dog.
  • I'm adding one and may be it's not unpopular who knows....

I get really annoyed at facebook friends trying to sell this Jamberry stuff to me.  I didn't really look into it much but isn't it stickers for nails???

Anniversary

• I had an unpopular opinion that I was saving up, and now I can't remember what it was.  ::strops::

Substitutes:

I did TNR for a couple of years before we had kids.  I think there are circumstances where it can succeed, but it's definitely not a cure-all.

In most cases, I'm a big fan of adopting shelter pets.  (I also used to volunteer at a shelter before we had kids.  Pattern?)  But we're considering getting a kitten from a breeder at some point, because our best cat ever was a Maine coon mix, and we would love to have another one.  Shelters, bless their hearts, will call any random longhaired cat a "Maine coon mix" but really, they don't know.  It's not the coat we're after, it's the personality and disposition, so some rando shaggy cat =/= that.

I am having no luck with kid pictures lately.  I decided to skip DD's school pictures, because the examples in the flyer were so craptastic.  It's like they're still using the same ugly mottled blue backdrop from my elementary school days.  Then DD was miserable at picture day for soccer, because it was really early Saturday morning, and freezing, so I didn't even bother ordering a picture--I can see her looking disgruntled any day of the week, for free.  Then DS had picture day, and I was happy.  They have an actual photojournalist come (for whatever reason, there's some connection to someone at school) and historically he has done a great job:  the kids look natural, photos are beautiful, parents are happy. 

I don't know what the fuck happened this time, but the photos are terrible.  The lighting is awful--I don't know why he didn't shoot outside, because it was gorgeous Monday, but he didn't.  So whatever he did to light them inside resulted in these wonky shadows, bags under their eyes, purplish skin tones, it's like the freaking zombie apocalypse.  His color correction isn't helping.  At all.  (I'm dying to link to them, but they have the kids' full names and everything.  I may just do a couple of image grabs.)  I really don't love DS's photos, but I also feel like he already has second child syndrome, and I feel like not ordering his pictures will only make it worse.  I'm still not ordering them, but the guilt is there.

We need to pull a 6 and get professional family portraits, but I've been putting it off (scheduling, outfits), plus I know DH will balk at the cost.  He thinks photos should be $1.99 or whatever for an 8 x 10 because "that's what the Target photo lab charges..."    
  • I think the nurse in that's fighting quarantine needs to simmer down.  I think having a contest to out dick Christie isn't making her sympathetic.  Instead of going on Today to talk about how you're going to sue, why not use your airtime to educate the general joe blow on ebola. 

I'm over ebola as a whole and the panic it's inciting in this country.  It's not about the people in Africa who have been dealing with it for years and how we can help with their plight.  Nope, it's all about saving our own asses and spraying your neighbor down the Lysol if they even cough in your direction.  I'm more afraid of the flu and E-68 than ebola, but it would be nice to get some real informaiton.  Not politically motivated pandering. 

Also, while I get that the kid that shot up that school in WA wasn't an outcast, I'm tired of people talking about him as 'popular'...as in, "ZOMGZ how could he do it because he was popular?!" Because if you're popular/pretty/handsome/thin/insert some other way to be 'socially acceptable', you don't have *any* problems...Because, how could you? You have it all and have no reason right to complain/have issues. 
  • I think all of the things that are working my nerves are pretty popular.

Election phone calls being at the top of the list.

• hmonkey said:
    @ barbie -- 

that's not how i remember it at all.
    L&R's response is what stuck with me from that post - hence the "torn a new one" comment. not all of us can have amazing hmo-level memories of ~4yo posts. ;-)

Ultimately, we made a huge difference in the neighborhood - we rarely see ferals now.

• The chick that's been all over the news about how she plans to end her life on November 1st due to terminal brain cancer and wanting to die with dignity is now saying she may be having second thoughts.  I had a feeling that might happen.  I honestly cringed when her story went public, not because she doesn't deserve the choice (because she totally does...dying from a disease such as cancer is not pleasant), but I wondered about the scrutiny/backlash if she did have second thoughts the closer she got to her 'D-day'.   I guess it would have been better if she hadn't set a deadline.  I think she could have still shared her story without revealing the date she planned on doing it. 
  • The chick that's been all over the news about how she plans to end her life on November 1st due to terminal brain cancer and wanting to die with dignity is now saying she may be having second thoughts.  I had a feeling that might happen.  I honestly cringed when her story went public, not because she doesn't deserve the choice (because she totally does...dying from a disease such as cancer is not pleasant), but I wondered about the scrutiny/backlash if she did have second thoughts the closer she got to her 'D-day'.   I guess it would have been better if she hadn't set a deadline.  I think she could have still shared her story without revealing the date she planned on doing it. 
    Yup yup.
    Like how Terry Prachett has talked well about his plans--but he's prhased it so it's his choice as to when.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1203622/Ill-die-endgame-says-Terry-Pratchett-law-allow-assisted-suicides-UK.html

gets me every time...
    "

I believe that if the burden gets too great, those who wish to should be allowed to be shown the door.

In my case, in the fullness of time, I hope it will be the one to the garden under an English sky. Or, if wet, the library.

"
  • I had also wondered about such a firm date.  For me, it'd be "when it gets too much for me and my family to bear".  Who knows what date that would be?  I'm not sure I'd want to go just b/c this is the day I picked and even if it's not ready, I'm not ready, this is it!

I hate that Burzynski has reached out to her.  Effin' quack.

This is probably the first time I'm excited to start my period in decades, b/c the doc gave me a new pain pill to try.  So far, so good.  I popped it at the first sign of "OMGTHATHURTS" and it seemed to have reacted pretty quickly.  I'm back to "Bright Sunshiny Day" right now.  Let's see how long it lasts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards