Chit Chat

I hate my neighbors.

The ones that live right next door to us have proven to be irresponsible pet owners. When I first moved in with H, I realized that they had a dog that kept in the garage pretty much all the time. The poor dog was on a leash and I never once saw them walk him or let him out in the yard. He barked all the time, and I felt awful for him. I told H that if that dog was in the garage during the winter, I was going to call the ASPCA and report them. 

Before the winter, the dog died. The story was a little sketchy. I still don't know if the dog died, or if they had him put down. But honestly, I was relieved. I couldn't stomach watching that poor dog be treated like that. While he was alive, I even tried finding him another home because the neighbors mentioned that they wanted to get rid of him. 

Right after we got home from our HM, we realized that they had bought a new puppy. I had hopes that they would treat this dog right. 

Yesterday when I got home, this poor puppy was outside in his cage in the rain. It had been pouring for hours, and it was in the low 50s. The poor dog was barking and whining. It broke my heart. I called H crying. This dog is only about 6 months old. H called them to basically say, "Hey, is your dog OK? He's outside in the rain!" but they never answered. 

I can't take watching an animal treated like this. 

Re: I hate my neighbors.

• Omg I'm almost in tears just reading that. I cannot believe how horrible people can treat animals. I spent all morning freaking out that my dog was going to be cold in our house (the furnace wasn't working this morning), even though it was still in the 60s in the house when I left and I put all kinds of blankets in with him. I could never imagine leaving him out in the cold and the rain. Poor little guy. I hope that either they get their shit together and start treating the puppy better or someone takes the dog away from them.
  • l9il9i member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

My neighbors two doors down do the same thing.  They have a dog they leave outside 24/7.  Yes it has a little shelter to protect from the rain but still, last winter we had temperatures into -30s!  That makes me so sad.  Along with that the poor thing barks constantly.  I do mean constantly.  Morning, noon, night doesn't matter, all day and frequently waking me up at night.  I've never met them or have seen them outside.  I do know a sherrif lives there so I feel like if I would ever make a complaint nothing would be done....

What's the point of getting a dog if you give it zero attention and just chain it up outside?!?!

• You should absolutely pick up the phone and call the authorities, reporting not only what's happening now but what happened before. 

Stop knotting and start calling!
  • beethery said:
    The ones that live right next door to us have proven to be irresponsible pet owners. When I first moved in with H, I realized that they had a dog that kept in the garage pretty much all the time. The poor dog was on a leash and I never once saw them walk him or let him out in the yard. He barked all the time, and I felt awful for him. I told H that if that dog was in the garage during the winter, I was going to call the ASPCA and report them. 

Before the winter, the dog died. The story was a little sketchy. I still don't know if the dog died, or if they had him put down. But honestly, I was relieved. I couldn't stomach watching that poor dog be treated like that. While he was alive, I even tried finding him another home because the neighbors mentioned that they wanted to get rid of him. 

Right after we got home from our HM, we realized that they had bought a new puppy. I had hopes that they would treat this dog right. 

Yesterday when I got home, this poor puppy was outside in his cage in the rain. It had been pouring for hours, and it was in the low 50s. The poor dog was barking and whining. It broke my heart. I called H crying. This dog is only about 6 months old. H called them to basically say, "Hey, is your dog OK? He's outside in the rain!" but they never answered. 

Call the ASPCA now, relay the story of their previous dog as well.
    I will do that. My co-worker told me to try to get some pictures too, as that will help my case. 
  • Omg I'm almost in tears just reading that. I cannot believe how horrible people can treat animals. I spent all morning freaking out that my dog was going to be cold in our house (the furnace wasn't working this morning), even though it was still in the 60s in the house when I left and I put all kinds of blankets in with him. I could never imagine leaving him out in the cold and the rain. Poor little guy. I hope that either they get their shit together and start treating the puppy better or someone takes the dog away from them.
    I totally get you. I put a fleece jacket on my dog when it's cold out. I can't even imagine. 
  • beethery said:

This.  Don't wait until "next time".  And make sure to document EVERYTHING.  Every time you see anything not up to par, make a note of it with the date, time, any action you took (ie reaching out to neighbor), as many details as possible.  

People who treat their pets like that are absolute scum.
    Anniversary

• @cupcait927 Our house is in the 50s and we haven't turned on the heat yet LOL. But that sucks I hope your furnace gets fixed soon!

That is so shitty!!! Why would they get a puppy if they don't sound like dog people?! That is very sad and infuriating. Maybe the local animal control officer can do something quicker than the ASPCA. At least a drop by/ check in.

• Shitheads.  I hate people like that.

• @jenna8984 I am a giant baby when it comes to the cold. We started turning our heat on back in September! I will be incredibly frugal when it comes to a lot of things, but heat is something I'm totally willing to pay for.

The furnace, however, is fine. H's parents bought us a gas stove for the house (they know me so well) and when the guy installed it on Tuesday (our 79 degree anomaly day), he shut off the gas line to the furnace and never turned it back on. We didn't notice it yesterday since the house was still warm from Tuesday and realized this morning that it wasn't kicking on. $85 to have the HVAC company turn our gas back on to the furnace. Sigh. We're such newbie homeowners.

• beethery said:

This.  Don't wait until "next time".  And make sure to document EVERYTHING.  Every time you see anything not up to par, make a note of it with the date, time, any action you took (ie reaching out to neighbor), as many details as possible.  

I second (third?) this. This post seriously hurts my heart. If I saw that poor thing out in the rain, those neighbors would come home to find that their puppy had disappeared. And surprise! I just got a new puppy that for some reason looks just like yours did! (No I wouldn't really steal someone's dog, but I definitely couldn't sit there and not try to help). It sucks that they're total pieces of shit, but that dog's one saving grace is that YOU are their neighbor, and you care. 
  • You guys are right. I will call from work as soon as the owner leaves. 
  • Keep us updated, Climbing!
    Anniversary

• Another vote for calling ASPCA asap. I'm sorry to hear about these poor dogs. Why would they bother getting one if they don't want to take care of it?! Makes absolutely no sense to me. 
    beethery said:

I second (third?) this. This post seriously hurts my heart. If I saw that poor thing out in the rain, those neighbors would come home to find that their puppy had disappeared. And surprise! I just got a new puppy that for some reason looks just like yours did! (No I wouldn't really steal someone's dog, but I definitely couldn't sit there and not try to help). It sucks that they're total pieces of shit, but that dog's one saving grace is that YOU are their neighbor, and you care. 

• Bunch of MOFOs, I hope that dog gets out of there and fast.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate people that neglect their pets like that.

We found one of our dogs through a Craigslist ad.  She was 2 years old, had lived outside her whole life (in hot AZ desert temperatures), had never been to a vet, never had shots, never had a bath.  Her claws were so long that they had curled under and were cutting into her feet. And we suspect that they were otherwise abusive because she is extremely timid and scared of people.  It took a whole year before she would let DH pet her.

We have a neighbor that moved in about a month ago.  They have a small dog.  They never take the dog out for walks, but she sneaks out on occasion and runs free.  At first we thought she was just opening the door to let her dog out to go to the bathroom instead of walking it. I suspect that may have been the case until the apartment yelled at her for her dog being loose. I was talking to her the other day and she said the dog just goes on the balcony.  According to her, they've tried walking her, but she won't walk on a leash, she'll just lay down, and they can't get her to go to the bathroom outside at all... even walking loose without leash. So they just let her pee/poop all over their balcony (which I've also never seen them clean). Yesterday she brought her dog out to play with mine for a while when I was taking them for a walk (her female dog and my male dog have a thing for each other... neither are fixed).  I saw her dog pee twice while we were out there. She thinks that being out with my dogs must be helping to teach her how to be a real dog.  Which is possible... my previously abused dog learned from and copied my other dog when we got her to learn to go to bathroom outside, since she had never been housebroken... she even lifts her leg to pee, because that's what he does. I told her that she is welcome to bring her dog out whenever she sees me out there and hopefully she can get leash trained by example. But, I just feel so bad that her dog never gets to go outside. 

• I do believe that any dog kept outside must be provided "adequate" shelter, clean water and fresh food.  If at any time these conditions aren't met, or if you see signs of neglect (very messy fur, a collar thats too tight, any kind of physical condition that goes untreated) document that shit with a camera and make a call.  I love animals and I don't take this stuff lightly...if I could get my downstairs neighbor in trouble I would but she takes care of her dog just enough that there is nothing we could do for it.
  • I don't know what is going on, but I can't get this freaking site to load! What the hell! 

I called. They asked for all the information, and said they'll have someone call me back. They did say if I can get pictures of the dog outside, that would be good. So hopefully I'll hear something soon. 
    Also, H said he's going over there to talk to them tonight. I personally don't think it will do any good. But whatevs. 
  • Our neighbors used to raise and eat their dogs.  It was terrible.  We called animal control so many times.  They finally stopped five years ago, but watching the abuse was heart breaking.  

Do you have any pets?  If so, I would be careful with H talking to them.   You're right, it probably won't do any good, and you don't want them to turn around and start making BS claims about your animals.  Keep calling the ASPCA until they take action.

• levioosa said:
    Our neighbors used to raise and eat their dogs.  It was terrible.  We called animal control so many times.  They finally stopped five years ago, but watching the abuse was heart breaking.  

Do you have any pets?  If so, I would be careful with H talking to them.   You're right, it probably won't do any good, and you don't want them to turn around and start making BS claims about your animals.  Keep calling the ASPCA until they take action.

Oh my god!! 

Yes, we have a pit bull. 
  • OMG that poor dog! I think you definitely did the right thing by calling ASPCA. I echo PP on being careful having your H talk to them. It will be pretty obvious who called ASPCA if they show up after your H talks to them. These people sound mental.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • beethery said:
    levioosa said:
    Our neighbors used to raise and eat their dogs.  It was terrible.  We called animal control so many times.  They finally stopped five years ago, but watching the abuse was heart breaking.  

I hope to god that's a typo because I'm about to get on the nope shuttle.

I noticed that too! @levioosa, please tell me that is a typo and that they didn't actually EAT their dogs!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • The ones that live right next door to us have proven to be irresponsible pet owners. When I first moved in with H, I realized that they had a dog that kept in the garage pretty much all the time. The poor dog was on a leash and I never once saw them walk him or let him out in the yard. He barked all the time, and I felt awful for him. I told H that if that dog was in the garage during the winter, I was going to call the ASPCA and report them. 

My grandma's neighbors treated their dog like that. One night she couldn't take it anymore so she went into their yard at 2am and took the dog and brought it over to my mom's house. He's been our beloved family pet for 11 years now.

*Please note that I do not condone animal theft.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    beethery said:
    levioosa said:

Not a typo. 

Edited: To remove disturbing content.  

• levioosa said:

What the ever lovin' fuck? 
  • I think even without H going over there, they're going to know it's me/us. When H saw the guy at Petsmart looking at dog houses, he said to him, "Your dog shouldn't be in a house outside. It should be in your house." And H has said similar things to this guy in the past. 
  • @levioosa‌ You could've just said yes and that would've been alright. I ain't mad at ya, but I can't handle that description.

I'm gonna leave this here and just not come back to this post. Climbing, if you get is resolved, PM me or something, alright?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• levioosa said:
    beethery said:
    levioosa said:

Not a typo.  Every 6 months to a year they would get two puppies and keep them outside the whole time, rain or shine.  Except for feeding them they were totally ignored.  Then when the puppies were old enough, they would brutally club them (which we saw numerous times), string them up on poles like pigs at a fuckin' luau, carry them up to their house, and the next day there would be a huge BBQ with all of their friends and family.   It was sickening.  I also felt bad for my poor mom who had to explain to her distraught children what was happening.  My Dad would go up and talk to them, but it never helped.  They only stopped when the fines apparently became too expensive.  
    What the actual holy fucking shit I can't even.

Anniversary

• Sorry guys.  

This shit is unreal.  I don't understand people.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards