Wedding Invitations & Paper

Mismatched paper issue

I am planning on printing my own Direction and Reception cards to save some money, but the invitations that we are ordering says the paper is a shimmery white and the paper that I was thinking of using for the DIY cards is a "white linen" without shimmer and will be more matte.

Would it be bad to have those cards in the invitation that clearly aren't the same type of paper or even the exact same color?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mismatched paper issue

• It will look like an afterthought.  It's generally better go with something that matches exactly, if you can.  If you can't, be sure it's the same weight and texture, but a different color.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I  personally like it when things aren't all matchy-matchy and wouldn't think twice if the directions were on a different paper. Reception cards I may expect to match the invite, but again, I don't think it's critical. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_mismatched-paper-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:e4583b1e-d35f-47d9-a74e-95e4cf920243Post:4b2e1573-1174-44f1-a3dc-df41d0379e84">Re: Mismatched paper issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]It will look like an afterthought.  It's generally better go with something that matches exactly, if you can.  If you can't, be sure it's the same weight and texture, but a different color.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  Order some samples from different websites and then compare those samples with your invitations.
  • I think if you did them on a cardstock in a coordinating color, it would be less noticeable than if you did a white.  Otherwise, ditto navy.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I wouldn't do a shimmer card for directions unless you're getting them printed the way Squirrly did. Ink jet printers do a crappy job on most shimmer. Your ink may bleed or fade.

planning

• Yah, I wasn't going to do shimmer because of how I've generally seen the ink smudges... Our colors are like a lemongrass green and ivory and black, So I don't know what other color of cardstock I would get because I want it to be readable. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Could you do a complementary shade of lemongrass green?
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards