Wedding Etiquette Forum

So I get this invitation in the mail the other day...

...inviting H and I to the "wedding" of two friends.

Two friends who we know, FOR A FACT, are having a secret destination elopement very soon, but not telling anyone.

And the "wedding" is on NYE.

With a "cocktail reception beginning at 7pm."  Of course, the whole event goes until midnight.  No actual food for 5 hours.  Awesome.

We've been instructed to "dress to impress."

Aaand they were kind enough to include their registry information.

I can't make this crap up.  I seriously wish a good long stint on the E board was mandatory to apply for a marriage license.

Re: So I get this invitation in the mail the other day...

• So much ew. 
  • Can you go, get tipsy, and maybe let some secrets slip?

Just kidding, I'd go with @southernbelle0915's response, haha!

____________________________________________________________________________________

Ahhh!! lol! Forget I said anything and do the bolded. 

If/When they confront you: "I thought everyone knew!"
    *********************************************************************************

Not a terrible idea, except I'm pretty confident it'll be cash bar.

So after I've shelled out for an impressive outfit, a gift from their Williams Sonoma registry, and my own dinner, there's nothing left for booze!

(Sarcasm.  There's always money for booze.  Money for the other crap is questionable.)
    Buy them a spatula and hog the appetizers so that you can buy lots of drinks.

Or bring a flask. Klassy PPD - meet Klassy BYOB. Now that the two of you are acquainted, attend this "wedding" and spill the juice.
    *********************************************************************************

• ...inviting H and I to the "wedding" of two friends.

Two friends who we know, FOR A FACT, are having a secret destination elopement very soon, but not telling anyone.

And the "wedding" is on NYE.

With a "cocktail reception beginning at 7pm."  Of course, the whole event goes until midnight.  No actual food for 5 hours.  Awesome.

We've been instructed to "dress to impress."

Aaand they were kind enough to include their registry information.

I can't make this crap up.  I seriously wish a good long stint on the E board was mandatory to apply for a marriage license.
    How much of a secret is it if you guys know? How many people potentially, actually know? 

I don't understand people. At all.
  • People like this are the reason that I drink...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Can you go and take up a collection for pizza delivery at around 9pm?
  • Someone on TK got a wedding invitation full of faux pas? Color me shocked.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Egads! Could you not with all that ew, I'm eating.
  • Are you sure that cocktail reception does not mean heavy apps?  Just trying to be optimistic.

Cash bar in general is bad, but even people who would have a cash bar at an everyday wedding should know you never have a cash bar on NYE.

• @kasmith1‌ - The groom used to work with my H, and he let slip the plans. Then was all "uhh but listen that's sort of a secret so don't tell anyone, k?" Mhmm.

Not a terrible idea, except I'm pretty confident it'll be cash bar.

So after I've shelled out for an impressive outfit, a gift from their Williams Sonoma registry, and my own dinner, there's nothing left for booze!

(Sarcasm.  There's always money for booze.  Money for the other crap is questionable.)
    Buy them a spatula and hog the appetizers so that you can buy lots of drinks.

Or bring a flask. Klassy PPD - meet Klassy BYOB. Now that the two of you are acquainted, attend this "wedding" and spill the juice.
    We went to a really tacky wedding (gap, rude hosting, etc) with a cash bar last fall. FI's best friends crazypants girlfriend brought a flask in her purse, as well as a bunch of mini bottles of liquor. Even those she's crazypants, she and I bonded that night :P 
  • I will never understand doing the elopement thing when you obviously want the big wedding production.  What is the point?  Why elope at all?  My brain just can't.

• I will never understand doing the elopement thing when you obviously want the big wedding production.  What is the point?  Why elope at all?  My brain just can't.

Because they're super special and deserve to have both! It's in their vision! If you don't understand then you obviously don't really care about them.

;)

____________________________________________________________________________________

• As long as is was open bar I'd just chalk it up to a low cost NYE ticket with all you can drink and a reason to get dressed up - while I snarked and side eyed them behind their backs. So much ewwwww.

I always ask, among a host of other exciting wedding related questions, about alcohol. True story.

If you want to have a dry wedding that's cool. BUT If you want to have a DJ and dancing til midnight don't expect me to do it sober or pay for it myself. 
    I'll own that I'm a snarky bitch about it if they can own their own flaws as well :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Sorry OP but you gotta go and report back!!! Is it an open bar? You might be just about saved if it is...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would take a big purse and pack it full of cheeseburgers and vodka. 

Shit... I might even sell those cheeseburgers at the reception and recoup my losses. 
  • I'm having a "cocktail reception" and its heavy apps and food stations. It's listed as a meal replacement because there is enough food, just in a less formal format. Fingers crossed they'll do the same thing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait...I'm confused.  If they aren't having food and you suspect it will be a cash bar, then WHAT are they providing to their guests for attending their "faux" ceremony?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait...I'm confused.  If they aren't having food and you suspect it will be a cash bar, then WHAT are they providing to their guests for attending their "faux" ceremony?

The honor of witnessing them renew their vows.  Duh.
  • I would take a big purse and pack it full of cheeseburgers and vodka. 

Shit... I might even sell those cheeseburgers at the reception and recoup my losses. 
    This is the greatest idea ever. there's a McDonald's 5 minutes down the road, and it's right on the way.  I have visions of getting wasted and making it rain McDoubles...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards