Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

how long for a buffet?

We are having a small wedding (about 20 people) and we are going to a nice buffet for dinner after the ceremony and cocktails.  We have the option of being at dinner for either 2 or 3 hours.  Which would you choose?

For a little more info, it's going to be in Vegas.  We are having the ceremony, then cocktails, cake and appetizers, then going to dinner.  We are planning on then going out with whoever wants after dinner.  I think we will probably make the dinner reservation for 6:00 p.m., so it won't be that late.   

Re: how long for a buffet?

• Given that it's Vegas - and depending on where you plan to go, I'd opt for the 3-hours because you can always leave early - but sticking around later in that town is difficult (I've got a lot of friends who work/perform there - being even one minute over is likely to be difficult).  At 9PM in Vegas - things are just getting rolling for the night as well, so unless you're planning on catching a show as a group, the three-hour option seems like the way to go to spend the max time with your guests before you all go out or your separate ways for the evening
  • I guess I should clarify a little.  We can probably stay at the buffet for as long as we want (it closes at 9 that night).  The 2 or 3 hours is the length of time we would be paying for drinks.  

After dinner we expect everyone to hit either go to a bar or hit the tables with us.  
  • Can you comfortably afford to host the drinks for 3 hours? If so, go for it. I'm sure people will enjoy taking their time to eat and sit around, mingle, have a couple drinks, etc. Like PP said, at 9pm Vegas is just getting going so it would be a good time to wrap things up. Which buffet are you going to??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have decided to go with Wicked Spoon.  We've eaten there a few times and both really enjoyed it.  We were looking into Bachannal, which we also love, but they are not taking large group reservations for our week.

And we aren't really going to "wrap things up" after dinner - just move everyone somewhere else.  We will also be providing everyone with drinks a bit before 2pm that day (ceremony time).  We've got some heavy drinkers, but I'm not sure how long they are going to be able to keep what pace.

I believe the additional hour is just $10 more pp. 
  • With only 20 people, I think you could swing 2 hours, but you'd have to make sure you started right on time. 

If you can afford it, I'd probably go with 3 hours so that when you're done eating people can stick around, have a drink and socialize.
    *********************************************************************************

• @aggiespartan I have heard really great things about Wicked Spoon and read great reviews from other Vegas brides.

By "wrap it up" I just meant wrap things up at the buffet location :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was just at a wedding in Vegas on Saturday. They had the room for 2 hours and they had to ask everyone to leave because we were all still sitting around talking. I would recommend the 3 hours if you can afford it so people have time to mingle.
  • Do three hours if you think that most people would stay that long, but two hours would be fine with it starting at six.  
  • We are having a small wedding (about 20 people) and we are going to a nice buffet for dinner after the ceremony and cocktails.  We have the option of being at dinner for either 2 or 3 hours.  Which would you choose?

For a little more info, it's going to be in Vegas.  We are having the ceremony, then cocktails, cake and appetizers, then going to dinner.  We are planning on then going out with whoever wants after dinner.  I think we will probably make the dinner reservation for 6:00 p.m., so it won't be that late.   

Do you have the option to book the space for 2 hours and extend to a third hour on the day of if you'd like to?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards