Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food Truck Reception--Need Input Please!

Hi there, We are fine tuning our menu options for our wedding. We are doing a food truck, since we are only service 30-40...small private wedding with immediate family and closest friends. So for appetizer (it is at a microbrewery) selections, we have watermelon/shrimp ceviche and a guacamole bar where a server makes on order request of what you want in it with beer tasting option on a neat wood platter.

The mains is where we are struggling. I love food and I am not picky but, I am having a hard time choosing sides options. How it will work they will have an option of 2 tacos of their choice and 2 sides to accompany it. We are offering this for taco choices:1) BBQ Brisket Taco with apple slaw and peach BBQ sauce 2) Chili garlic chicken Taco with cilantro, Asian slaw and Asian BBQ sauce. It is a twist of Asian and Mexican food kind of truck. So unique but, super yummy! Kids will have options including quesadilla and sides too.

So the great debate....here our our side options....if you were a guest what do you think you would prefer....I am just having a hard time meshing the food all together but, I know it is meant to be unique and not your regular expected menu.

1. Cilantro Lime Rice

2. Deep Fried Brussel Sprouts with Bacon Jam

3. Roasted Seasonal Vegetables

4. Mac N' Cheese (Truffle and Panko)

5. Belgian or Sweet Potato Fries     

6. Fingerling Potatoes    

I need to pick two....I like them all in one manner or the other.....haha Any suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Food Truck Reception--Need Input Please!

• Sounds delicious! I would definitely choose one starch plus one veggie as the sides. I don't know your crowd and whether they are foodies/adventurous or not, so erring on the side of appealing to the most people, I would select the sweet potato fries and roasted veggies as the two sides.

Reasoning: I LOVE mac and cheese, but I don't think it goes with the theme. Some people (like DH) hate cilantro - you already have it on one of the tacos, so having it in a rice dish as well knocks that one out for me. The brussel sprouts might just be too different if people aren't foodies.

I hope this helps. And now I'm thinking I'm going to make tacos for dinner...
  • My own choices would be the roasted seasonal vegetables and Belgian or sweet potato fries.

They're one vegetable and one starch, and both are pretty midstream for those who don't care for more exotic offerings.
  • There's an arepa food truck near my work.  Their side options include sazon rice, carrot souffle, roasted veggies, and sweet plantains (note: they do put pomme frites on the entrees or in the arepa sandwiches) and the two most popular sides I've noticed when standing in line are the roasted vegetables and the carrot souffle.  So I'd probably be inclined to go with roasted vegetables and fries.

People would probably like the mac and cheese, but it doesn't seem very cohesive with your other menu items.
  • I agree that you should get sides that will appeal to the masses. The veggies for sure and either the Belgian, fingerling or sweet potatoes. Personally I don't like sweet potatoes but I know most people do. Sound awesome!! Good luck!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My vote would be the seasonal roasted veggies (as long as there is no, or very little squash) and the fingerling potatoes. Cilantro, sweet potatoes, and squash all come from the devil. Since you have cilantro in one of the tacos I would nix the rice with cilantro.
  • HReddemannHReddemann member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2014

Thank you guys...its a little unique I know and not super fancy. Most of the folks are under 25-50 age range and a handful of the 30-40 guests are young kids. No vegetarians. We are taking them to a really awesome BBQ place Friday night in Austin, Texas. We are also covering lodging, we rented a huge ranch to ourselves for our guests and are working on having breakfast for them every morning too. I am excited! Just want to make sure I am dialing in on some of these specifics ok...I think roasted veges and fries/potatoes. Good call to all that shared input!  

We are going super unconventional....more like a family fun weekend with our ceremony in there on Saturday :)

• Are your guests able to get either of the tacos without the slaw?  I can't eat slaw so I would have nothing to eat for a main if they're not willing to customize.

• Yeah they make them as you order....can I ask what is it in the slaw that you can't eat? I am just curious...thank you!

• Yeah they make them as you order....can I ask what is it in the slaw that you can't eat? I am just curious...thank you!

The slaw itself.  I don't eat any slaw, it makes me throw up.

• mic411mic411 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2014
    We are doing a food truck for our reception too! Such a fun idea! Ours is asian fusion tacos :) #yum
  • One question:  How are your guests getting served?  Do they have to stand in a line outside the truck and receive their food, or are the truck owners/drivers/cooks coming into your reception venue to serve it?

The reason I ask is that as a guest, I would not want to stand in a line and reach up to receive my meal through the truck window-especially if I'm dressed up and/or the weather is not good.  If I were using a food truck I'd make arrangements for guests to be served away from the trucks.
  • edited June 2015
  • I'd say the fries and roasted veggies. Personally, I'd do some pretty shameful things for those sprouts, but erring on the side of less-expansive taste buds, those seem like the most rounded, filling, and safe meal options to keep all guests happy.

As a food truck and beer lover, can I ask when I can expect my invitation? I am a terrific wedding guest who will cut a rug and chat with anyone, I bring good gifts, and I RSPV on time. My husband is a quickly-growing comic artist with a mighty beard, we'll be the hipster life of the party. Pretty please?
    I keep trying to convince FI he'd like my brussels sprouts fried in bacon grease until crispy, but he's not having any of it. He shakes his head SO hard every time I mention it. 

Whatever. 

More for me. 
  • edited June 2015
  • esstee33 said:
    I'd say the fries and roasted veggies. Personally, I'd do some pretty shameful things for those sprouts, but erring on the side of less-expansive taste buds, those seem like the most rounded, filling, and safe meal options to keep all guests happy.

As a food truck and beer lover, can I ask when I can expect my invitation? I am a terrific wedding guest who will cut a rug and chat with anyone, I bring good gifts, and I RSPV on time. My husband is a quickly-growing comic artist with a mighty beard, we'll be the hipster life of the party. Pretty please?
    I keep trying to convince FI he'd like my brussels sprouts fried in bacon grease until crispy, but he's not having any of it. He shakes his head SO hard every time I mention it. 

Whatever. 

More for me. 
    Your husband is a fool. You should come over here, and we will fry all the sprouts and eat them like popcorn and be happy.
    Let's make this: http://sharedappetite.com/recipes/honey-sriracha-roasted-brussels-sprouts/#_a5y_p=2808989
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards