Moms and Maids

FMIL takes bridal suite!

2»

Re: FMIL takes bridal suite!

• kmmssg said:
    OK - one question after reading the last posts - did the hotel promise any kind of comp for the bridal suite if you booked so many rooms?  When last DD got married we got the bridal suite free if they booked 20 room nights, which did happen.  If there is no comp involved in the booking of other rooms then the hotel did nothing wrong.  If they are comping the room then a discussion needs to be had about that comp NOT happening.
    Exactly this. 

If the bridal suite ends up being comped as part of your contract, then you need to work with the general manager to figure this out. If they screwed up on this part of your contract, then they need to comp you another, equally nice or nicer room. 

If it's not part of it, then this is your bad and you should have booked the room you wanted. I agree it was a crappy thing of your FMIL to do, but you really should have been more proactive. If this is the case, the alternative is to book a suite yourself; find another hotel where there's a suite you like; get two rooms that adjoin; or deal with what you've got. 

Personally, I wanted to stay as far away from family as possible on our wedding night. In a sound proof room. In your situation, I'd see this as an opportunity to stay at a different hotel!
    *********************************************************************************

• kmmssg said:
    OK - one question after reading the last posts - did the hotel promise any kind of comp for the bridal suite if you booked so many rooms?  When last DD got married we got the bridal suite free if they booked 20 room nights, which did happen.  If there is no comp involved in the booking of other rooms then the hotel did nothing wrong.  If they are comping the room then a discussion needs to be had about that comp NOT happening.
    Exactly this. 

If the bridal suite ends up being comped as part of your contract, then you need to work with the general manager to figure this out. If they screwed up on this part of your contract, then they need to comp you another, equally nice or nicer room. 

If it's not part of it, then this is your bad and you should have booked the room you wanted. I agree it was a crappy thing of your FMIL to do, but you really should have been more proactive. If this is the case, the alternative is to book a suite yourself; find another hotel where there's a suite you like; get two rooms that adjoin; or deal with what you've got. 

Personally, I wanted to stay as far away from family as possible on our wedding night. In a sound proof room. In your situation, I'd see this as an opportunity to stay at a different hotel!
    An alternative scenario whereby the hotel would not really be responsible.......FMIL books the bridal suite and additional room together. FMIL may have commented to the hotel clerk that she is paying for the bride and groom's room for the night. Management would have no way of knowing which room is for whom. Unless offered as a perk, the hotel has no guarantee that any given bride and groom will stay in their hotel. You can't fault a hotel for booking one of their more expensive rooms if given the chance.
  • blabla89 said:
    What kind of venue is it? Are there any other hotels nearby? If this particular suite is almost always where the bride gets ready/where the couple stays on the wedding night, I'm a little surprised that the venue staff booked it for FMIL without question.

I agree with the PPs that this probably isn't the hill you want to die on. But, if you really feel the need to say something, you (or preferably your FI) could say, "FMIL, we were planning to stay in the bridal suite and to use that space for XYZ. It was important to us and we wish you had spoken with us before booking it for yourself. Thank you for offering to pay for our room, but we will be staying at [other hotel] instead."

I agree that this sounds to me like an error on the venues part. I've worked in hotels for 10 years, most of them conference centers that hosted weddings and we also took a suite(we had 7 all very similar) "out of inventory" for that wedding. Also, I got married at a hotel, who gave us a complimentary bridal suite for the wedding night.

Maybe when she booked it, she mentioned the wedding, blah blah blah and the hotel assumed she was booking it FOR you.

I'd contact the hotel and give them a chance. Play dumb and don't let them know that you are aware the room is booked. See how they accomidate you, the bride!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards