Wedding Woes

#cometlanding

Is anyone else watching?  I'm so nervous and impatient, I can't imagine what it must be like in that room.

Come ON, 10:03!  (That's when we get confirmation of the successful landing).

Re: #cometlanding

• I love that the mothership is called Rosetta.  IDK why, but it tickles me. 
  • Although this makes me a little sad for our own space agency.
  • Woohoo!  Now 7 hours down.

PMeg, it makes me really happy for ESA.  NASA has to struggle so hard for funding and even all of the excitement over the Curiosity landing, which was AMAZING to watch...resulted in an argument.  I mean, I get why people think NASA is a waste, but NASA has only ever given humanity amazing achievements.  

I actually had a friend who was in the running for naming the landing site.  They went with the name they have over his, but I liked his better.

• I think it makes me sad because this in many ways is just very pure science. And people don't ever see the immediate benefit in that. I wish more people were just excited about knowing things and less concerned sometimes about what we get from it. When I hear about Curiosity and Rosetta, it sort of awakens that childlike excitement in me. We need more of that at times.
  • I totally agree with that.  I don't really care for the high science stuff, but when you can see the amazing application of engineering and math?  I mean, this left Earth 10 freaking years ago, they picked a target, figured out where it would be, and landed something on it.  That's crazy awesome.

Also, if you're interested, XKCD live cartooned the whole thing and it was amazing:  http://xkcd.com/1446/
  • It's not all good news, but not totally bad.  It looks like when it landed, it bounced and turned.  The harpoons didn't fire, so it's ON the comet, but not anchored to the comet.  The briefing said that they'd know more tomorrow morning (I have no idea which tomorrow morning).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards