Chit Chat

Eggnog anyone?

edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
Eggnog is one of those beverages that is so hit or miss for everyone.  I used to hate it, I thought it tasted like paint.  One year, I tried this all natural egg nog., called Hillcrest Dairy Premium Egg Nog. IT WAS AMAZING!  It was back on the shelves, today, for the holiday.  I usually don't do Christmas things before Thanksgiving, but I have to eat all of the dangerous foods now, before getting pregnant. This made me wonder do you love eggnog or hate it with a loathing passion?

Re: Eggnog anyone?

• no thank you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It is one of the most disgusting beverages ever.  EVER!  I just can't with eggnog.  The texture alone makes me squirm.  If I have a glass of it in my hand and am actually drinking from it, I am seriously taking one for the team and am owed a massage and some seriously delicious food afterwards.
  • @Nymeru eggnog isn't thick if you make it yourself or get an all natural egg nog with no thickening agent.  Look at me trying to bring you over to the dark side!
  • WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Nasty

ETA - But more for you!!

• Eh. It's alright. Better with alcohol in it. 
    Anniversary

• If it's too thick, just add even more bourbon, and of course, plenty of whipped cream. Yum.
  • I love it. I usually like just the plain flavor, but we tried some pumpkin eggnog this afternoon that was pretty good.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Love it with rum!

BTW, if the eggnog was available in a grocery store, you should be OK to have when pregnant. Pasturized eggs and milk make that OK. Even blue cheese is fine if it's pasturized.
  • I love it. I do 2 parts egg nog, 1 part Vernors ginger ale (has to be Vernors!), 1 part Southern Comfort. Delicious. The fizz in the Vernors lightens it up a bit. Yum yum yum.

@addiecake you should try this! <Pumpkin Eggnog Pie>

• I LOVE egg nog. When we were kids, my mom mixed it with milk (about half and half) so it wasn't crazy thick. I had no idea that everyone didn't do that. I made eggnog bread last year bad it was SOO GOOD.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I LOVE egg nog. When we were kids, my mom mixed it with milk (about half and half) so it wasn't crazy thick. I had no idea that everyone didn't do that. I made eggnog bread last year bad it was SOO GOOD.
    I mix it half and half with milk too! This morning I actually had it straight, though.

I only drink eggnog in the months of November and December, and it has to be Hood. I don't like the other brands.

• Gross. DH loves it and I gag watching him drink it.

Anniversary
  • I love it! With just a tiny sprinkle of nutmeg on top. Yup. Yum!
    *********************************************************************************

• I LOVE eggnog! Silk makes eggnog now and I can't wait to try it when it gets closer to the winter holidays.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• As long as it has booze I like it. I have friends who drink it booze free. I do not understand them.

When I still spoke to my paternal grandparents they'd throw this Christmas party every year and there was the grownup eggnog and the kid eggnog. As the grown up eggnog emptied out they refilled it by simply adding more bourbon. So by the end of the party it was more or less a punch bowl of bourbon.

And I totally "accidentally" drank from the grownup bowl.
  • Hood golden egg nog while Chevy Chase goes on a tear about his shitty boss.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I've only had it twice because it's not a thing here, but MIL is American and she makes it, so I drink it. I like the taste, I like the alcohol, the texture is a little weird for me though but that could just be the way she makes it - kinda like a thin but really frothy milkshake. I could not imagine it without the alcohol.

DH isn't allowed to have it because raw egg. He had a sip of mine one year, but I don't think he cares for it.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • MagicInk said:

As long as it has booze I like it. I have friends who drink it booze free. I do not understand them.

When I still spoke to my paternal grandparents they'd throw this Christmas party every year and there was the grownup eggnog and the kid eggnog. As the grown up eggnog emptied out they refilled it by simply adding more bourbon. So by the end of the party it was more or less a punch bowl of bourbon.

And I totally "accidentally" drank from the grownup bowl.

Turkey Hill eggnog is so yum without alcohol!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• You guys who don't like the texture need to try it with Vernor's in it! I've converted so many people that way!

• I won't drink plain milk if I'm dying of thirst (just instant gag reflex for some reason) but I can handle about 2 tiny glasses of eggnog every season. I think it's delicious but the texture grosses me out a bit and so I need quite a bit of booze in it to get past that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ew no, but please pass the wassail, I will drink it all, thanks!! :)

• Love eggnog!  With freshly grated nutmeg on top...yum.  No alcohol or anything else needed in it, just straight up.  But only a little, it's so rich I can't drink much at a time.

I made an eggnog pound cake yesterday.  Smelled divine, buttery and eggy and spicy with nutmeg.
  • edited November 2014
    Ooh @rebeccab88 do you like cranberries? These were a big hit at Brunchgiving last year. I think our niece ate about 6 of them and then asked to take some home. 

• Love it as long as I don't think too hard about where it's from. I like a little in coffee during Christmas week and then on Christmas Day at my aunt's since she makes an awesome one. When I was little I'd drink as much of the non-alcoholic stuff as possible but now I prefer not to squander my calories on drinks and save them for things like cheesecake and peppermint bark instead :)
  • Love eggnog!  Especially with alcohol in it.  Tried it about five years ago, and have had it every Christmas since then.
  • NOPE NOPE NOPE

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Ick, can't stand the stuff. It was never in the house growing up because my whole family disliked it. H likes it so we do have some at Christmas, but I refuse to drink it.

Also, I knew someone who made eggnog ice cream once. I was thinking, ew, why would you ruin perfectly good ice cream!?
  • Love it, especially with rum. It always makes an appearance at our family holiday parties. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards