Chit Chat

Hobby Lobby Sale

Wedding stuff is 50% off this week, plus there's a 40% off coupon you can find online or if you have the app on your phone. FI and I are getting our invitations from there. Just thought I'd pass the word along!
Anniversary

Re: Hobby Lobby Sale

• edited June 2015
  • Honestly, if I had another option, I wouldn't shop there, but at the moment my craft options are as follows:

- Walmart
    - Hobby Lobby
    - Not making anything ever

I spent the months between the SCOTUS decision and last week ignoring HL's existence, but I had to have canvasses for my mom's birthday present, so it was a choice between HL and Walmart. 

I don't shop at Walmart. At all, ever, if I can avoid it. I haven't spent money in a Walmart in a year (except to purchase a pack of cheap get-me-through underwear after the house burned). 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited November 2014
    I'm with @hellosweetie1015. It's either Hobby Lobby or Walmart for me too. And no, I don't want religion forced down my throat either, but I do want my invitations for only $90 as opposed to $400. Lesser less expensive of two evils. 
    Anniversary

• Maybe my HL is different, they don't have much "wedding stuff"!  I guess it's like one short aisle.

I still buy entirely too much there... and I don't even craft!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Just FYI, if something isn't on sale one week, just come back next week. And there is always a 40% off coupon at all times.

I used to work for them. Still trying to wash that off me.
    This.  If you want silk flowers and they aren't on sale the day you go in to get them, go back the next week. . . they will be 50%.  Most of the departments in there go on sale every other week.  It's fantastic once you know the pattern, and the sales associates will let you know what week something will be going on sale.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• lilacck28 said:
    Grr. Hobby Lobby. I don't shop there.

It's getting harder and harder to find places to shop at that don't run against every ethical bone in my body. Corporations as religious people. Le sigh.

Yeah. I threadjacked. Sorrynotsorry.
    This.
    *********************************************************************************

• esstee33 said:

Can't you guys with only HL or Walmart to choose from just order things online? I mean, there are lots of other avenues. 

I was just about to point out the thousands of websites and Michael's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hobby Lobby can kiss my pasty white ass. 
  • I actually hadn't considered Amazon for stuff like that. I'm very clueless about this whole process and definitely learning as I go. My biggest concern about ordering online is not knowing what it looks like IRL until I've ordered and paid for it =/
    Anniversary

• I've never, ever gotten a craft supply off the internet that I liked. Craft tools - needles, crochet hooks, whatever - those are fine, but with yarns and threads and beads and stuff, I've got to see it and touch it and make sure it's what I want to do with. And, to me, it makes no sense to go out of my way to get to HL to examine it, just to go back home and order it online. If I can manage to avoid HL/Walmart, then fantastic, but with textile things I typically can't (except with DMC embroidery floss, because obviously if it's counted it gives you the DMC number you need, and I've honestly found other floss to be inferior).

I would KILL for a Michael's to be closer than an hour and a half from me, @larrygaga, but I don't have one. I've never even seen one in Alabama, although I'm sure they exist.
  • I went in HL once, I felt overwhelmed and scared and their yarn section sucked balls so I left. Its just too massive and bright in there. Michael's has nicer lighting, it feels nicer in there.

I'm aware I sound insane. I do not care.
  • edited November 2014
    hellosweetie1015 said: I've never, ever gotten a craft supply off the internet that I liked. Craft tools - needles, crochet hooks, whatever - those are fine, but with yarns and threads and beads and stuff, I've got to see it and touch it and make sure it's what I want to do with. And, to me, it makes no sense to go out of my way to get to HL to examine it, just to go back home and order it online. If I can manage to avoid HL/Walmart, then fantastic, but with textile things I typically can't (except with DMC embroidery floss, because obviously if it's counted it gives you the DMC number you need, and I've honestly found other floss to be inferior).
    I would KILL for a Michael's to be closer than an hour and a half from me, @larrygaga, but I don't have one. I've never even seen one in Alabama, although I'm sure they exist. ______________________WTF? There were boxes originally. 
    I
    think there's one in Montgomery, but I don't know how close you are to there. That's about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes from me. 
    Anniversary

• edited November 2014
    I've never, ever gotten a craft supply off the internet that I liked. Craft tools - needles, crochet hooks, whatever - those are fine, but with yarns and threads and beads and stuff, I've got to see it and touch it and make sure it's what I want to do with. And, to me, it makes no sense to go out of my way to get to HL to examine it, just to go back home and order it online. If I can manage to avoid HL/Walmart, then fantastic, but with textile things I typically can't (except with DMC embroidery floss, because obviously if it's counted it gives you the DMC number you need, and I've honestly found other floss to be inferior).

I would KILL for a Michael's to be closer than an hour and a half from me, @larrygaga, but I don't have one. I've never even seen one in Alabama, although I'm sure they exist.

I think there's one in Montgomery, but I don't know how close you are to there. That's about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes from me. 
    BLEEPING DISAPPEARING BOXES.

Montgomery is 2.5-3 hours, depending on which way I go.

I have officially confirmed that the 3 closest Michael's to my location are ALL outside of 50 miles (the nearest is 53 miles). I can't make that trip for craft supplies, y'all. 
  • I'm fortunate to have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, JoAnn, and Pat Catans in my area.  I shop at each one for different items.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• esstee33 said:
    Yeah, I'm a knitter and I'd way rather buy yarn online, having never felt it before, than support a company that promotes discriminatory business practices based on their religious beliefs. No craft supplies are that important to me. 
    I'm glad you feel that way. My issue is that yarn and textiles have a tendency to give me an itchy, painful rash along the hand I drag it across when I'm crocheting, and if I choose to wear/use whatever I make, I get it on whatever skin is touching it. I like to feel it because generally (not always but generally) I can tell if it's going to cause that reaction, or if it's safe to use. 

If my options are buying a shitty product sight-unseen online and risk that reaction, using a craft store with ONE policy I find distasteful, or using a store with a THOUSAND policies I find distasteful, then I'm going to go with the one policy and the not-itching. Sorrynotsorry. 
  • So. Not that I knit, but I was always under the impression that HL, micheals and Walmart stocked cheap yarn. My friend that knits orders of specialty websites.

Anniversary
  • esstee33 said:
    Yeah, I'm a knitter and I'd way rather buy yarn online, having never felt it before, than support a company that promotes discriminatory business practices based on their religious beliefs. No craft supplies are that important to me. 
    I'm glad you feel that way. My issue is that yarn and textiles have a tendency to give me an itchy, painful rash along the hand I drag it across when I'm crocheting, and if I choose to wear/use whatever I make, I get it on whatever skin is touching it. I like to feel it because generally (not always but generally) I can tell if it's going to cause that reaction, or if it's safe to use. 

If my options are buying a shitty product sight-unseen online and risk that reaction, using a craft store with ONE policy I find distasteful, or using a store with a THOUSAND policies I find distasteful, then I'm going to go with the one policy and the not-itching. Sorrynotsorry. 
    Minor threadjack: 

How does feeling a textile in the store once give you a clue how you're going to react to it after hours of crocheting? I know there are certain yarns I don't like working with because they make my hands hurt, but I know what brands those are and I avoid them. If you already know which brands bother you and which don't, why not just order the specific yarns you know you like from another place? 

• chibiyui said:
    So. Not that I knit, but I was always under the impression that HL, micheals and Walmart stocked cheap yarn. My friend that knits orders of specialty websites.
    My friends who are really into knitting are the same way.

@hellosweetie1015 - It sounds like you do a lot of knitting...have you ever tried to figure out if a specific brand works for you or if there is something in some yarn that causes a reaction? If you could figure that out, it would probably be pretty easy for you to buy online and you can always read reviews. Buying a product online doesn't mean it's a shitty product.

• chibiyui said:
    So. Not that I knit, but I was always under the impression that HL, micheals and Walmart stocked cheap yarn. My friend that knits orders of specialty websites.
    Walmart typically has a bunch of Red Heart acrylic, which is basically bottom of the barrel. Michaels has a better selection of slightly nicer yarn. I've only been to a HL once, but their selection was very similar to Michaels. 

Most of the really nice yarn is sold in small yarn shops. But that's also $$$$$$$$$$. You can get some pretty nice stuff at JoAnns, too, though. 
  • You can't go wrong with Blue Sky alpaca yarn. I have never knitted in my life and I decided it would be a brilliant idea to make my new niece a blanket. It was so friggin soft the little munchkin almost didn't get it. I ordered it online since alpaca = always soft. I ordered it on Amazon and had it in two days. (Booyah Prime!)

Sorry to thread jack. And AW because I'm totally attaching a picture of the blanket.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33 said:
    esstee33 said:

Minor threadjack: 

How does feeling a textile in the store once give you a clue how you're going to react to it after hours of crocheting? I know there are certain yarns I don't like working with because they make my hands hurt, but I know what brands those are and I avoid them. If you already know which brands bother you and which don't, why not just order the specific yarns you know you like from another place? 

I carry it around for hours deciding if I REALLLLLY want it, hahahaha. That's how. I generally don't rub it for a minute, and then immediately go check out. Typically after I've wandered the whole store, I know whether or not a yarn is going to bother me. And I know, typically, what kind of fabric I can use on the rare occasion I'm using fabric because obviously I wear clothes which are made of fabric. 

@bethsmiles I've honestly not sure I've ever gotten the same brand of yarn twice. It takes me so long to finish a project that I typically can't remember what I've bought, so the process restarts. I enjoy doing it, but I don't have the time right now to get any further into it than I am, so I don't see a point in dropping $30 a skein when I can go to a craft store and pay $10 for a great, soft, snuggly skein that serves my purpose of snuggly distraction. 
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    esstee33 said:
    esstee33 said:

Minor threadjack: 

I carry it around for hours deciding if I REALLLLLY want it, hahahaha. That's how. I generally don't rub it for a minute, and then immediately go check out. Typically after I've wandered the whole store, I know whether or not a yarn is going to bother me. And I know, typically, what kind of fabric I can use on the rare occasion I'm using fabric because obviously I wear clothes which are made of fabric. 

@bethsmiles I've honestly not sure I've ever gotten the same brand of yarn twice. It takes me so long to finish a project that I typically can't remember what I've bought, so the process restarts. I enjoy doing it, but I don't have the time right now to get any further into it than I am, so I don't see a point in dropping $30 a skein when I can go to a craft store and pay $10 for a great, soft, snuggly skein that serves my purpose of snuggly distraction. 
    Weird. I wonder if it's something they use to treat the yarn, or if it's a specific fiber that causes the irritation? Can you wear 100% wool clothes normally? 

I don't usually have skin irritation problems, but certain types of yarn (Red Heart, I'm looking at you) will cause insane hand soreness after a while. I even have a brace to wear when it happens. For stuff like baby blankets that I want to be durable and machine washable, I tend to use acrylics, so I've basically just stopped offering to make baby blankets for people. The alternative is using a much nicer fiber and trusting that my friends are going to hand-wash it every time the baby barfs on it. Yeah, that'll happen... Parents of newborns have all the time in the world to hand-wash baby blankets. 

ETA: You should definitely keep the wrapper from whatever yarn you're working on! Not just so you can remember which brands don't bother you, but if you run out of yarn working on a project, you'll need the dye lot from it to make sure you get the actual same color. Skeins from different dye lots can be wayyyyyy different. 
  • esstee33 said:

esstee33 said:

esstee33 said:

Minor threadjack: 

Weird. I wonder if it's something they use to treat the yarn, or if it's a specific fiber that causes the irritation? Can you wear 100% wool clothes normally? 

I don't usually have skin irritation problems, but certain types of yarn (Red Heart, I'm looking at you) will cause insane hand soreness after a while. I even have a brace to wear when it happens. For stuff like baby blankets that I want to be durable and machine washable, I tend to use acrylics, so I've basically just stopped offering to make baby blankets for people. The alternative is using a much nicer fiber and trusting that my friends are going to hand-wash it every time the baby barfs on it. Yeah, that'll happen... Parents of newborns have all the time in the world to hand-wash baby blankets. 

ETA: You should definitely keep the wrapper from whatever yarn you're working on! Not just so you can remember which brands don't bother you, but if you run out of yarn working on a project, you'll need the dye lot from it to make sure you get the actual same color. Skeins from different dye lots can be wayyyyyy different. 

Gone mobile so I'm sure quote boxes will mess up

No, I generally can't wear wool. I don't even get clothes for Christmas unless it's my mom, because she takes me shopping instead of just buying me stuff willynilly. I do KNOW I can't use Red Heart but that's it.

I really should start saving them but I've never had a project that took more than a skein, unless it was multicolored. And then it took about half a skein of each.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards