Wedding Woes

I can't believe TG is a week away

Time is flying!

I had yesterday off and did some power shopping.  I could spend years in Nordstrom Rack.  I love that place.  I scored some great deals.  DH wanted a 1/4 zip pullover for work (cold warehouse...can't wear full zip b/c of theft concerns (not him, but his people, he's management, needs to set example, etc.)) I found him a North Face one for a steal.  They also had good deals on North Face coats and I may go back and get the kiddo one (he's been begging for one).   I found a purse and gloves for me and snowboots for DefConn.  

I also have about 75% of my Secret Satan gift done between regifts and the few new things I bought.  Now I just have to do the crafting part of it.  Yes, I'm attempting to craft this holiday season.  This could be a disaster. ;)

I got a good start on Christmas for all kids I buy for (my kids, nieces, nephew).  

I'm just looking forward to next week now.  It's going to be a good one. 

Re: I can't believe TG is a week away

• I haven't heard any news on my uncle. The kids were supposed to go to my parents this weekend, but that's up in the air now.

I have a feeling I don't have enough gifts to span Max's birthday and Christmas, but we'll make sure he's covered.

Why do these kids want to be all up in my business all the time.  Seriously, stop touching me.  Stop talking to me.  I'm over it.

I'm also over MIL (shocker). 

• 6fsn said:

Why do these kids want to be all up in my business all the time.  Seriously, stop touching me.  Stop talking to me.  I'm over it.

Oh 6, I feel ya.  The kiddo and DefConn either are bothering the shit out of me when they're home together OR they're being as loud as they can be (either playing or fighting).  

If I have to hear about the kiddo's shoe trading business one more time...I'm going to lose my mind. I told him that he should be putting the effort into his grades that he puts into trading/selling/buying shoes.  He's going to make a great salesman when he grows up, but he needs to get through 8th grade first. 

Also, DH and I cannot have a conversation without interruption, especially from the kiddo.  We've taken to texting about stuff so we can talk uninterrupted.  DH has been at work since 4am and should be home around noon.  I'm excited that I may get to say more than 3 sentences to him without someone wanting me or asking 20 questions about a conversation they're not a part of. 
  • We have TG at my gma's on Saturday.  I'm still not sure what I'm going to make for it.  I've got some pinterest ideas.

I'm trying to plan out my Friday errands - Target and Sam's.  I normally go to Target with just DD2 while the other two are in school and then we go to Sams's as a family (minus Son - he'd rather be home alone than out shopping at Sam's) in the evening.  I've got the roofer coming tomorrow at 9:00 and he should be here for 2-3 hours.  Then we are going to our friends' new house to help them paint/do electrical stuff/etc.

I may have to do my running tonight after baseball workout, because I am not going shopping with just the girls.  It would take twice as long.
  • I know. I'm trying to find a great desert to bring. Y'all know I don't cook, so I'm always the desert girl. I want to keep the guessing from my usual apple pie and cheesecake.
  • I don't know how people handle more than one kid, and I especially don't know how you can manage a toddler and a teenager at the same time.  I feel for you guys.
    I am overwhelmed with my one kid, and my one job, and my one house.  
    Sometimes (most of the time) I forget that not everyone is as overwhelmed with life as I am.  I was talking to some other moms the other day, and complaining about what the school expects from the parents, and how I'm still not used to our new routine, etc. and the other moms looked at me like I had three heads.  Apparently it's not normal to be stressed out about these things.  Other people just do them without worrying or complaingin, I guess?  I don't know how any of that works.
    DD's Girl Scout troop is finally organized and planning their first meeting.  There's a parents meeting on Saturday at 8am.   8:00 AM on a SATURDAY?  I don't even get to WORK before 8 am. And they PAY ME.   I'm not able to go to the meeting because of other stuff, but I want to say that I can't go because who the hell gets up and dressed and out of the house before 8 am on a SATURDAY?  Am I alone in this?
    I just feel like I'm from a different planet when it comes to everything parenting-related.
  • No. 8:00 am on a Saturday is painful. I'll do it if it's something important, but not with a smile.

Flo, I often think how would it feel to have to come home after work and do homework, cook and not get to lay on my sofa with the remote. I know you do what you have to do, but I would need to retrain my brain, for sure.

• 8am meeting on a Saturday?!  Uh fuck no.  I'm only up before 8am on a Saturday if I work OR if I'm going to the airport for a trip.  What is wrong with people? Weekends are for sleeping. 
  • I need to make pumpkin roll for thanksgiving because, yay, pumpkin roll.

I know I'm in a different place, but I hate it when they make meetings at 10am on Saturday.  Really, it's not like I'm sleeping past 7 and they manage to make it screw up the entire dang morning.

I'm not 'sick' sick, I'm just feeling blah and that I gargle with broken glass all day and night.
    so I'm grumpy.

And tomorrow the people from the drain commission are meeting at our house.
  • 8am????? Yeah, that's what happens when the mommy that organizes that has a kid(s) that are only consistent in the fact that everyone is up and running by 5:30. But I will admit that at least I have the rest of the day to salvage on that schedule.

A little(lot) bummed that my folks aren't going to be able to make it out this turkey day. Their tow vehicle needs repair, parts guy is taking forever. DD was really looking forward to it as well. :(

On the bright side, I now have two fully functional monitors for WAH.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We scored a T-day invite to DK's coworker's house, so minimal cooking for me - yay! (We're bringing cranberry sauce - not the crap from a can, I make my own - rolls, and some of the homemade booze.) They're going to have about 10-15 people, so should be a nice time. 

DK and I are having a date night on Saturday. We haven't made plans yet, but we probably should if we're going anywhere that requires reservations. We're also going to a concert on Tuesday night. I'm excited to have 2 dates in one week - that never happens. 

8am on a Saturday is insane - even Wolverine knows not to wake us up before 8 - unless the house is burning down or there's a "bear emergency." (I still have no idea where she came up with that.) Yes, she wakes us up at *exactly* 8am on the weekends, but we also take turns letting the other person sleep for another few hours if we don't have plans. 

I want to hear about the 8th grade shoe selling/trading business. 
  • @AuntFlo, what does the school require? We looked at a few charters that had volunteering requirements, and we passed, because I don't need that. I have my own shit to do, TYVM, and I'd be annoyed at any requirement beyond "get kid to school, make sure kid does homework, come to a parent-teacher conference". 

And I would straight-up tell the meeting people that 8 am on a Saturday is out of the question. (8 am any day is out of the question for me unless I'm being paid, and even then, I will bitch about it mightily.) They need to be told they're being ridiculous, and usually no one ever wants to say that to anyone. I have no qualms.  
  • *Barbie* said:

Oh gah.  It's mostly Nikes and the kiddo's whole goal in it is to get the best pair of shoes without having to exchange money AND then turning around and selling said shoes for cash.  He's had Lebrons and Jordans that he's traded/sold.  It's all high stakes and drama filled.  Lots of texts and instagramming going on. 
  • baconsmom said:
    @AuntFlo, what does the school require? We looked at a few charters that had volunteering requirements, and we passed, because I don't need that. I have my own shit to do, TYVM, and I'd be annoyed at any requirement beyond "get kid to school, make sure kid does homework, come to a parent-teacher conference". 

And I would straight-up tell the meeting people that 8 am on a Saturday is out of the question. (8 am any day is out of the question for me unless I'm being paid, and even then, I will bitch about it mightily.) They need to be told they're being ridiculous, and usually no one ever wants to say that to anyone. I have no qualms.  
    We're supposed to do a certain amount of volunteering - but I am not sure if that will ever happen for me.  DH already chaperoned a field trip, so he's done some time.  Other than that, I think it's a lot of the same stuff every school does - - spirit week, book fair, veterans day "week" activities, it's always something and it takes us out of our routines and I don't like it.  ::strop::  
    Her teachers emailed on Monday morning about a Thanksgiving feast that they were supposed to have next Tuesday.  By Monday afternoon, it was cancelled.  I'm guessing that they received a whole bunch of complaints because parents do not want to deal with making and bringing in a crock pot of food for a bunch of ridiculous kindergartners...  Anyway it's just stuff like that.

Regarding the 8am meeting...  I thought about nipping it in the bud but I don't know these people and I already worry enough about first impressions.  Once I get to know them, if they still suggest ridiculous times, I'll say something for sure.
  • I have two kids and I have no idea how I'm doing it.My kids are even a little more spaced apart than others. Making dinner is a nightmare because DS is up in my grill asking a million questions while DD is trying to open the dishwasher and play with knives. But we're all alive and relatively healthy so that's a win.

This weekend is probably going to be a nightmare. Tomorrow is the day of a million errands so that on Saturday and Sunday I can focus on finishing painting. Except last night, DH came home and told me that one of his co-workers is in town from Dallas and they are going to make plans for the weekend (the guy is an old friend and his former boss). Great. I also realized that with my sister in town next week, I probably won't have as much time to work on things as I wanted to so I'm going to spend some late nights cleaning and getting things done. Nevertheless, I'm excited for next week. Just have to get through the weekend.
  • I really love my dogs.  They're biggest complaints are more food, more walks, but snuggling is thoroughly acceptable.  ;)  :D

We had plans for cooking stuffs for Thanksgiving and then one of my fav restaurants started taking orders. So, Stilton Pub Style Mac n Cheese and some sort of sweet potato pecan bake and a carrot cake later, we only have to make rolls.  It's totally worth the $ to me.  I'm busy this weekend all weekend and trying to fit in cooking around work is just a PITA.  We can make the bread fresh that day and head over to my parents.  Voila.

I took over the splinter freethinking group and it's kind of amazing.  I'm rather in shock, b/c I have all of this help and almost don't know what to do in my glee of delegating projects.  I can't wait for the convention this weekend and the "prom"!

• My uncle passed last night.  Calling hours tomorrow and funeral Saturday. 

Apparently our Thanksgiving is so large we've had to rent another cabin.  The lodge we get sleeps 60. 

• ((hugs)) 6.  T+P's for your family. 
  • Sorry, 6.  ::hugs::
  • I'm sorry for your loss.  And I hope your family gets some peace
  • I'm sorry to hear that 6. Thoughts and prayers for your family.
  • Selfish alert:  Last time I was supposed to be home alone DH's grandfather passed.  My kids were supposed to be gone all this weekend.  I have an ounce of being bummed.
  • I'm so sorry, 6.

(And it's OK to have a selfish thought or two)
  • Sorry for your and your family's loss, 6.
  • 6, I'm sorry for your lost.
  • I'm so sorry, 6 :::hugs:::
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • 6, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. 

TG next week?  Thank little baby jesus that we're traveling to a relative's for dinner, which means I don't do a darn thing.  And I am about 95% sure I'm not work the day after either.  SO YAY!  That makes xmas' shenanigans that much easier to stomach.  We are pretty sure we're going to be hosting Xmas brunch/lunch for my family and then going to SIL's for dinner/sammiches. 

Also, all of that above about kids is helpful when I realize how bad my baby rabies are.  Spring 2015 will be here sooner than I think.
  • Oh, yeah, Bacon's school does virtually none of that. They're always looking for people to do book fair or want us to donate breakfast for conferences, but no. I just ignore it. 

Helps that I don't want to make friends, probably. :D
  • 6, I'm sorry. 

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    *Barbie* said:

Oh gah.  It's mostly Nikes and the kiddo's whole goal in it is to get the best pair of shoes without having to exchange money AND then turning around and selling said shoes for cash.  He's had Lebrons and Jordans that he's traded/sold.  It's all high stakes and drama filled.  Lots of texts and instagramming going on. 
    so he took shoes that you guys bought him and sold or traded them to a classmate (for a pair of shoes that classmate's parents bought), and is continuing to sell or trade shoes until he decides to keep a pair or makes big money? Aren't these like $100-something /pair? are the kids *wearing these shoes* or are they new in box? if they are new in box, why are these kids buying $100-something shoes and then not wearing them? 

I'm so confused. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards