Wedding Woes

Serial peeps. I'm up to date. (could be spoilers in replies)

TWO WEEKS?! GAHHHH!  At least I don't have to hear the 'MailKimp' lady for two more weeks. 

Also, I need to mention this to BIL.  He's a podcast guy.  

But I'm willing to discuss if people want to.  

Re: Serial peeps. I'm up to date. (could be spoilers in replies)

• I'm here, I'm here!  Where should we start?

1. Do you think Adnan did it?
    2. Do you think he should have been convicted?
    3. If your answer to #1 is no, then who do you think killed Hae?
    1. Do you think Adnan did it? No, I don't.  
    2. Do you think he should have been convicted? With the case the prosecution ran with and the fact that he didn't take the stand, I don't see how the jury would have found him not guilty. 
    3. If your answer to #1 is no, then who do you think killed Hae?  Either Jay or somemysterious 3rd party that hasn't been brought up yet (and may never be found). 
  • I'm going to have to agree with you on #1, but not #2:  from a legal perspective, I don't think the state proved their case.  Their timeline fell apart.  Their one and only witness has a serious lying problem.  I just don't feel like that's enough evidence to lock someone away for the rest of his life.  No physical evidence.  The cell phone evidence has been proven questionable, at best.  All they have is Jay, and at this point, I don't think I trust him as far as I can throw him.

So on #3, right now, my money is on Jay.  He knows an awful lot about what happened that night, he told the cops where Hae's car was.  I don't think it was premeditated--he didn't use a weapon, and it sounds like he could have gotten one.  I think there was some kind of confrontation, and things went south.

Did you see the end of Rabia's most recent post?
    http://www.splitthemoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Adnan-statement-re-Hae-and-Jay-cheating-to-paralegal.png

Hearsay on Adnan's part, since Hae is unfortunately unable to corroborate his story.  And he's not exactly unbiased.  But interesting.
  • I think the fact that Jay stayed calm while Adnan's attorney yelled at him helped his credibility.  Juries eat that shit up with a spoon.  Also, they kind of smoothed out some of the hitches in the story.  Which is think is what happened in that missing 3 hours of tape from Jay's interview.  

I think not pursuing Asia screwed him.  I think, in his teenage arrogance/lack of experience, he didn't realize that she could have been his savior.  He seriously thought, for the longest time, that this was all a misunderstanding and he'd be freed at some point. 

I'm still working my way through Rabia's blog. 
  • 1. I don't think Adnan did it. I think the state's motive was way to weak and I just can't find a reason why.

2. No. The evidence is purely circumstanscial. They have flimsy evidence. I also think his attorney at the time botched it. It's been mentioned several times that Sarah can't ask her because she had died, but there are some questions in my mind about why different things weren't pursued like the Asia McClain thing.

3. I won't say that Jay did it but I think Jay was involved. The whole incident with him stabbing the guy because he'd never been stabbed was so freaking creepy and weird. Also, I think there has to be more there with Stephanie. Adnan got too close to Stephanie for Jay's liking or Hae had some sort of run in with Stephanie. Who knows, but that whole bit about him being protective about Stephanie raises some questions.
  • I found out that BIL is listening to this as well, which is not suprising as he's a big podcast guy.  I cannot wait to talk to him about it this weekend. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    Re: #2...that's what I'm saying...while the state had a completely flimsy case, his lawyer did him no favors in her approach.  She didn't chase down Asia, she yelled at Jay and tried to get him took terrible and she came off looking worse.  And him being 17 and probably lost and scared in a system he didn't completely unerstand, didn't know how to correctly advocate for himself. 

I also agree with Rabia that there was (is?) racial bias.  Can you imagine if this happened 2-3 years later?  :-/
  • I keep going back and forth. I'm very fuzzy on what I believe. I'm listening to Episode 6 as I type this.
  • Episode 7 has me more confused than any of the others! The forensic holes in the prosecution's case! The police deciding what should and shouldn't be taken into account at the crime scene!!! WTF?!
  • One thing I like about Rabia's blog is the insight she adds into the motivation for some of Adnan's behavior. Case in point- how the one girl said he was acting weird at her apartment and the call he got. Well it was Ramadan and he had family obligations and that might have been the reason behind his demeanor.

Episode 9 made me want to cry for the moms.
  • Re: #2...that's what I'm saying...while the state had a completely flimsy case, his lawyer did him no favors in her approach.  She didn't chase down Asia
    See, I think you're probably right, but then they uncovered evidence that Asia was wrong about the weather she mentioned.  It seemed like she may have had the wrong date, and I could see how an attorney might not find her claims strong enough to submit as alibi evidence.  But I do think it's more likely that his lawyer never pursued it, and should have.
    PMeg819 said:
    One thing I like about Rabia's blog is the insight she adds into the motivation for some of Adnan's behavior. Case in point- how the one girl said he was acting weird at her apartment and the call he got. Well it was Ramadan and he had family obligations and that might have been the reason behind his demeanor.
    I agree, but I do take some of what she says with a grain of salt--I feel like she could have seen Adnan standing over the body and she still would have been like "He couldn't have done it, he was probably just trying to determine whether he could resuscitate her--he was an EMT, you know!"  And that's not necessarily bad--obviously she's very loyal to Adnan, and is one of the few.  So half of me wants to take everything she ways with a huge grain of salt, and the other half of me thinks that she raises a lot of good issues that aren't in the podcast, or at least haven't been discussed yet.

Slate is doing a Slate Serial Spoiler podcast episode tomorrow, for anyone who may be in Serial withdrawal without a new episode this week.

Question:  since episode 8 was The Deal with Jay...what do you think the deal with Jenn is/was?
  • I really want to know what the Innocence Project has/will be uncovering.

• Oh, I don't think Rabia is the most credible person out there- it's just a new perspective. Reading her blog, you do get a sense of "I have to be right" like when Sarah calls her out on her memories. But the cultural things and the potential racism are interesting perspectives.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards