Chit Chat
Options

Freaking Upsellers

edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
So Friday, as some of you may know, the new Smash Brothers came out. I had no idea until FI messaged me, "SMASH BROTHERS IS OUT!!!!" He intended to go and buy it before he went to work, but he ran out of time. He was planning on getting it after work but since I had to go to the mall after I got out anyway, I decided to pick up a copy for him as a treat.

So I went to Gamestop and yay, they had extra copies. As the guy's ringing me up he starts asking me these questions that would require knowledge of the game to answer. I play video games, just not Smash Bros., so I said, "It's not for me, it's for my fiancee."

"Oh," he said, "well if you want to give him the best fiancee gift EVER, you have to get him an amiibo." (electronic action figures like the Skylanders or the Disney Infinity ones)

"Nah, he still has a Christmas present coming. I'm not even sure which one he'd want."

"Oh, well, if you REALLY want it to be a perfect gift, then you definitely have to buy this game guide." Of course it cost like a million dollars and looked like it weight thirty pounds. Also, no.

"No thanks."

"Does he need any extra controllers? You know you can play the game with up to eight people, so you'll definitely need lots of controllers. This one is designed to look like an old Gamecube controller, but it needs a special adapter, which I can also sell you. That would really make it the perfect most awesome gift for any fiancee ever."

"Just the game."

"Okay, but if you change your mind, you can bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we'll give you a discount on the guide!"

Ugh ugh ugh. I get that this is your job, that you could legit get into trouble if you don't try to get me to buy all this shit, but can you please do it in a way that does not imply that buying a $60 present for my man as a spur of the moment gift isn't good enough? At least he didn't assume the game wasn't for me until I told him, but the direction he took the upsell in really grinded (ground?) my gears.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Freaking Upsellers

• Options
    It's their job, but it's for sure annoying. 

The conversation that really gets me is:

salesperson: "Do you want to open a _____ credit card?"
    me: "no thanks"
    SP: "Are you sure? You can save 10%!"
    me: "no thank you. I'm not going to open a credit card with your store."
    SP: "But you get (insert stupid benefit I will never use)! And you could save $5 today."
    me: "NO."
    SP: "Can I have your phone number/email address?"
    me: "No, I don't want to be on your mailing list."
    SP: "but you get coupons..."

JFC - I just want to make this fucking purchase and leave the fucking store. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I saw the most awkward upsell attempt at Barnes and Noble last month. The cashier was trying to convince the people in front of me to buy a membership and they kept insisting they didn't want it. He tried to explain that with how much they were buying they'd pretty much have it paid for that day and they still didn't want it. Which, fine, it's their money, their business. But then he got really aggressive. They joked about how not getting the membership and paying full price meant they were helping to keep the store in business, and he said, "If you really want to keep us in business, buy a membership!" It pretty much ended with them threatening to take their business elsewhere and some lady who looked like a manager giving him the "Better shut your mouth" look.

When it came to be my turn I mentioned I was a member and the guy said, "Then why didn't you back me up just now!" I kind of wanted to smack him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It's their job, but it's for sure annoying. 

The conversation that really gets me is:

salesperson: "Do you want to open a _____ credit card?"
    me: "no thanks"
    SP: "Are you sure? You can save 10%!"
    me: "no thank you. I'm not going to open a credit card with your store."
    SP: "But you get (insert stupid benefit I will never use)! And you could save $5 today."
    me: "NO."
    SP: "Can I have your phone number/email address?"
    me: "No, I don't want to be on your mailing list."
    SP: "but you get coupons..."

JFC - I just want to make this fucking purchase and leave the fucking store. 
    I've been getting really irritated with VS lately.

"Enter in your email to get discounts!"

"I already get the emails."

"Well, enter it again so we know you want them!"

"Obviously I'm still getting them, so we're fine."

"But don't you want the discounts?"

"JFC, seriously?"

• Options
    As a retail manager for 8 years (in retail for 10), there are way better ways to upsell than what that guy did. I always try to avoid people throwing everything out at the register (mainly exactly due to the reasons that you experienced - it's annoying). Generally, I offer one MAYBE two things and that's it (unless the customer seems receptive, which you weren't).

That guy was just a pushy salesperson.
  • Options
    I remember having to ask for email addresses at Bath and Body Works, it sucked. They track how many sales you ring with how many emails you get, and you do get in trouble if you don't get enough.

I'm supposed to ask for emails at my current store. I don't. Unless the customer gets extended warranty. They aren't on my ass about it though.

I will up sell though. That 100 dollar mattress we advertise isn't there for you to buy, it's there to show you how shitty it is and how much nicer this 200 dollar mattress is.

Also, you totally should pick up the GameCube controller adapter, GameCube controllers are the best for smash.

Anniversary
  • Options
    chibiyui said:
    I remember having to ask for email addresses at Bath and Body Works, it sucked. They track how many sales you ring with how many emails you get, and you do get in trouble if you don't get enough. I'm supposed to ask for emails at my current store. I don't. Unless the customer gets extended warranty. They aren't on my ass about it though. I will up sell though. That 100 dollar mattress we advertise isn't there for you to buy, it's there to show you how shitty it is and how much nicer this 200 dollar mattress is. Also, you totally should pick up the GameCube controller adapter, GameCube controllers are the best for smash.
    We have...some kind of Game Cube like controller? I dunno. We have a decent amount, and he likes the game pad anyway. I've had bad luck with getting controllers from Game Stop so I wasn't going to touch that.

I'm trying to think of an upsell experience that actually worked on me and that I actually felt good about after. I know we recently got convinced to buy the loyalty card for our local movie theater. It seemed perfect, since we were there all the time anyway. But now we feel compelled to go there, even if we're near another theater that would be more convenient. It's not a big issue though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

chibiyui said:

I remember having to ask for email addresses at Bath and Body Works, it sucked. They track how many sales you ring with how many emails you get, and you do get in trouble if you don't get enough.

I'm supposed to ask for emails at my current store. I don't. Unless the customer gets extended warranty. They aren't on my ass about it though.

I will up sell though. That 100 dollar mattress we advertise isn't there for you to buy, it's there to show you how shitty it is and how much nicer this 200 dollar mattress is.

Also, you totally should pick up the GameCube controller adapter, GameCube controllers are the best for smash.

We have...some kind of Game Cube like controller? I dunno. We have a decent amount, and he likes the game pad anyway. I've had bad luck with getting controllers from Game Stop so I wasn't going to touch that.

I'm trying to think of an upsell experience that actually worked on me and that I actually felt good about after. I know we recently got convinced to buy the loyalty card for our local movie theater. It seemed perfect, since we were there all the time anyway. But now we feel compelled to go there, even if we're near another theater that would be more convenient. It's not a big issue though.

A good up sell is the one you don't realize is an upsell.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I pity the salespeople and try to just get through it politely but firmly, because I know what it's like having a manager threatening to cut your hours for not selling enough memberships/add-ons/whatever, and it's terrible. Most of the people who have to do it are doing it because they've been given a script and dire warnings if they don't follow it exactly and offer every customer blah blah blah.

But I also have a personal policy that I don't give places that employ these tactics any repeat business. I'll buy online if I absolutely cannot get it elsewhere, but I will not enter a store that does the pushy thing.

I like BBW hand soaps and candles, but every time I go in there I feel practically assaulted by their salespeople, so I had to find another place to buy that kind of thing.

I don't want to take it out on the salespeople, but I also don't want businesses that use that model to be successful, so I have stuck to my guns and I don't shop more than once anywhere that makes me uncomfortable. And I never give anyone my damn email address no matter how sneaky they are in trying to make it part of the transaction.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Flirt with the gamestop employees. They won't know what to do and won't have the confidence to up sell to you. 

But remember that it's their cooperation telling them to do all that, so try to just be patient. They don't wanna do it either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    Flirt with the gamestop employees. They won't know what to do and won't have the confidence to up sell to you. 

But remember that it's their cooperation telling them to do all that, so try to just be patient. They don't wanna do it either.
    That's what I do, I flirt everywhere I go! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards