Moms and Maids

Mother wants to dress too young. Help please

So my mom has recently lost a lot of weight (and i am so proud of her) but she is asking and wanting to wear something someone HALF her age should wear and wants to match the bridesmaids. My mother is in her mid 50's and she wants to wear something "Sexy" and "flattering" which to me might look awkward for not only my fiances side of the family but also my fathers side who hasnt seen her since my parents got a divorce 20 years ago. How can i tell her i want her to wear something more age appropriate and not matching my bridesmaids? 

(It will be flattering but more appropriate to someone her age) 

Re: Mother wants to dress too young. Help please

• You could take a photo of her in the dress she wants to wear and then tell her, "Mom, that dress doesn't look good on you.  I'd consider a different dress."  I agree with @lilacck28 that you can also tell her, "Mom, I'd really rather you didn't dress the same as the bridesmaids.  It could get confusing."

Beyond that, I'd leave it a lone.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    What other pp's said. My mom will be 52 at our wedding. I'd actually be disappointed if she chose to wear something old and matronly looking. She's 52...she's not dead! It sounds like your mom is proud of her new body, as she should be! Go shopping with her and help her find something that flatters her new shape (and take her age out of the picture). When I shop with my mom we shop for something that fits her very petite frame. I don't go in thinking oh she is 52 so she can only wear boatnecks or "mom" style jeans. In fact, I think her style is a million times better now than it was 20 years ago and she looks younger than ever.

• So my mom has recently lost a lot of weight (and i am so proud of her) but she is asking and wanting to wear something someone HALF her age should wear and wants to match the bridesmaids. My mother is in her mid 50's and she wants to wear something "Sexy" and "flattering" which to me might look awkward for not only my fiances side of the family but also my fathers side who hasnt seen her since my parents got a divorce 20 years ago. How can i tell her i want her to wear something more age appropriate and not matching my bridesmaids? 

(It will be flattering but more appropriate to someone her age) 
    You can't. She's an adult who is capable of choosing her own clothes.
  • The mothers get to wear whatever they want, but, you might be able to encourage her to wear something sexy, but classy. Offer to shop with her and please don't try to steer her toward the frumpy dresses. I like the idea of photographing her in the dresses she likes because cameras are so honest. 

• Have you gone shopping with her or seen pictures of her ideas?  Has she tried on any of her ideas?  The image and the reality are often miles apart, or you may be over thinking what she views as "sexy" for herself.  Sounds like a good time for a mom an daughter shopping trip.  I thought I looked very sexy at my daughter's wedding, but the dress was actually fairly conservative by everyones standards. In my mind, sexy was a strapless, sweetheart neckline.

• I talked to my mom a few nights ago and voiced my concerns. She understood where i was coming from and we looked at a few dresses together. We actually found a few that we both agree on after a few minor fights about dresses. I know she can dress herself but its my wedding and i want her to look nice and like my mom that ive grown up with. Were going to go shopping after i come home from a business trip. 
  • omg my mom wants to do the same thing
    she wants to be  the star of the show
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • omg my mom wants to do the same thing

she wants to be  the star of the show
    Your mother could wear a pnina gown and you could wear denim overalls and you would still be the "star of the show" because you are the one getting married. The fact that you're so worried about not getting enough attention screams immature.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I'm just gonna copy-past this from another thread I replied to...

Your mother is an adult and adults get to choose their own clothing unless in an employment situation. It is inappropriate for you to tell your mother what to wear, period. If she shows up in nipple tassels and a fishnet thong, that only reflects on her, not you. It's not your problem and it doesn't affect you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards