Moms and Maids

moms attire

edited November 2014 in Moms and Maids
how do i talk to my mom about her outfit of choice...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: moms attire

• Do you really think whatever your mother wears will outshine your big white dress?

Have a margarita.
  • i wasnt asking for rude comments
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I apologize, I didn't realize suggesting you enjoy a margarita and relax a little was a rude thing to do. 

But seriously. You can't tell people, even (especially?) your mother, what to wear. She's an adult and can choose her own clothing. At the end of the day, it won't matter what she wears. I'm serious when i say that your wedding dress will not be upstaged by whatever your mom wears. Everyone will know you are the bride.

• the rude comment thing wasnt towards you snarkymaid. i appreciated your comment and you are right. i tend to overreact and stress sometimes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What exactly do you see as the problem with your Mom' clothing?
  • If she has not purchased one already, the conversation begins "Hi mom, why don't we go shopping?" If she already has an outfit and has spent the money, you might be stuck.  If you really, really hate something she has purchased, you might be able to get her out of it if you are able/willing to buy something else for her. I can't imagine my daughter or DIL hating something I was going to wear, anywhere, and not saying something to me.  If my brain checked out and I picked something that bad, I would hope they would be honest enough to not let me be embarrassed. 
  • Your mother is an adult and adults get to choose their own clothing unless in an employment situation. It is inappropriate for you to tell your mother what to wear, period. If she shows up in nipple tassels and a fishnet thong, that only reflects on her, not you. It's not your problem and it doesn't affect you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • She's talking about my comment. 

And she edited her post, but she was acting like a spoiled child. "Waah my mom is trying to steal my thunder, it's my day" was the essence of it.

• She is your mother. I would hope you are able to say "mom, what are you going to wear?" when you are talking wedding.

Why would it be a touchy, walking-on-eggshells topic? If she is notorious for horrible taste, you can either do something about it, or you can't. If you have faith she will be dressed appropriately, why ask?

• The MOB and MOG get to choose their outfits for the wedding. The mothers' dresses don't have to match or complement each other, the wedding party or the wedding décor. You should encourage your mom to pick a dress that makes her feel beautiful. If you and your mom enjoy shopping together, you should offer to shop with her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards