African American Weddings

Is your dress custom made?

I've been considering having someone make my dress. My aunt is a very talented seamstress and I may ask her to do it, but she hasn't doe a wedding in years and might say no :( If she does I might consider some other local talent. Any of you doing/done this? Did you save money? Did you love your dress? Advice?

So... here's a link I watched where the bride had her mom make her ceremony and reception dress (@ 5:00 in video). What you think? 

Re: Is your dress custom made?

• Video isn't playing for some reason so here's the link if you want to see it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Shke9sd-NE

• I've considered doing it too but im not exactly sure where to find someone to make it and if it'll be more cost efficient. Let me know what you find!
  • My seamstress makes custom designs but I had already purchased my gown when my WP recommended her for my alterations.  She does wonderful work and will be doing some custom work on my ceremony gown.  I may have her do the work on my reception gown as well.  If your aunt can do what you want then I say go for it.  You will get exactly what you want by someone you trust and know well.

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Ok, I will keep you ladies posted. I'm going to get in touch with my aunt this week and see if she will do it for me. @mrsdweaver I will let know what I find if I end up using someone else. @ Island07b2b would you mind posting some pics of the work you have done if you don't mind sharing. I'm curious to see how it turns out. 
  • Cstow06 said:
    Ok, I will keep you ladies posted. I'm going to get in touch with my aunt this week and see if she will do it for me. @mrsdweaver I will let know what I find if I end up using someone else. @ Island07b2b would you mind posting some pics of the work you have done if you don't mind sharing. I'm curious to see how it turns out. 
    I sure will.  

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Okay, great! I think being in the Atlanta area will affect my price (in a bad way lol) so it'll be nice to know less costly ideas--especially if it means having the dress of my dreams!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards