Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thank You Card Question

We're at the point where we're sending out thank you's, and this is the issue we've come up against.  A lot of 18+ people are living with their parents, so they obviously got a separate invitation because they're 18+.  Come the wedding, some of them were included in a joint gift/card with their parents (card read from: Mary, Bob, and adult child).  So these adult children get their own thank you card even though they did not give their own card?

Re: Thank You Card Question

• Yes they should get their own thank you. And they should each be a little different so they're not carbon copies.
  • I don't know. I feel like if they still live at home and they stuck their name onto their parent's gift a separate card is not necessary. They gave the gift as a family unit and I would think that a thank you card written to the family as a whole should be sufficient.
  • I think I would just do one card for the family.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If they live together and signed the card together, I think it's fair to send one note. If they lived on their own but gave a joint gift I would send a separate card.

• I don't know. I feel like if they still live at home and they stuck their name onto their parent's gift a separate card is not necessary. They gave the gift as a family unit and I would think that a thank you card written to the family as a whole should be sufficient.
    Yes, I agree with this. If the adult children did not live at home, then you should write a separate thank you note. Since they all live in the same household, one thank you note is sufficient.

If they gave separate gifts, then you would write separate notes. 

• Yeah, I think any gift given by a group of people living at the same address is fine to have a thank you card given to the group as well.

Formerly martha1818

• Thanks everybody!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards