Chit Chat

D'oh! >.<*

edited December 2014 in Chit Chat
So last night I did laundry, and didn't have time to fold, so I grabbed some clothes out of the dryer this morning for work, and what do I see resting on the lint catcher but FI's work jump drive! Turns out I'd accidentally washed one of his pairs of jeans (don't know how I missed it. We're not nearly the same size). Normally this wouldn't be an issue except since I thought I was only washing my clothes I didn't check the pockets, thus, the jump drive on top of the lint filter. Felt so silly. So I was in a rush to get out because on top of my normal other morning routine tasks, I had to make sure the jump drive still worked and that the files were safe. Thankfully they seemed to be fine, but now I'm paranoid that thing is a ticking time bomb and will just randomly decide to fritz out.

I told him before I left and he said it was okay, but he was so sleepy he might not remember. Hopefully it really is okay! I'm confident the files are backed up somewhere else, but not necessarily somewhere convenient for him to access.

Hate when I do silly things like that.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: D'oh! &gt;.&lt;*

• edited December 2014
    Just be glad it was okay. I once washed & dried FI's smartphone....on his birthday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • larrygaga said:
    My mom always said it's not the laundry doers fault, it's the person who left the shit in their pockets. You better make a backup. He should have a backup anyway, if it's important. 
    I agree with this.  I do the laundry in our home and I told H that whatever money is found in the washer/dryer will become mine.  If he doesn't want to lose his money then he needs to check his pockets.  I have also yelled at him for not checking his pockets for drill bits that have created some dings in our dryer.  You don't want something accidentally washed then you need to check your pockets before you throw your pants/shirts in the laundry pile.

I also get super irritated with H about not pulling his socks right side out before chucking them in the laundry.  Instead he leaves them in balls and sorry but touching his sweaty, smelly work socks is not appealing to me.

• larrygaga said:
    My mom always said it's not the laundry doers fault, it's the person who left the shit in their pockets. You better make a backup. He should have a backup anyway, if it's important. 
    I agree with this.  I do the laundry in our home and I told H that whatever money is found in the washer/dryer will become mine.  If he doesn't want to lose his money then he needs to check his pockets.  I have also yelled at him for not checking his pockets for drill bits that have created some dings in our dryer.  You don't want something accidentally washed then you need to check your pockets before you throw your pants/shirts in the laundry pile.

I also get super irritated with H about not pulling his socks right side out before chucking them in the laundry.  Instead he leaves them in balls and sorry but touching his sweaty, smelly work socks is not appealing to me.

So much this. H works out at home so he'll come in from his gym area, peel his socks off and dump them straight in the laundry bin. I asked him to start pulling his socks right side out and he was good for awhile but has gone right back to bad habits. I cannot stand sticking my hand into that sweaty nastiness. Ugh. So now they just get washed in whatever state he left them. Not my problem.
  • I agree that he should be checking his own pockets, but in this case since he wasn't expecting his jeans to be washed yet and since I grabbed them without checking to see if they were mine, I'd take a bit more responsibility than normal. But hopefully it won't come to that. Lord knows he's accidentally broken a couple of my things because I left them on the floor like an idiot, and that I took responsibility for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I agree that he should be checking his own pockets, but in this case since he wasn't expecting his jeans to be washed yet and since I grabbed them without checking to see if they were mine, I'd take a bit more responsibility than normal. But hopefully it won't come to that. Lord knows he's accidentally broken a couple of my things because I left them on the floor like an idiot, and that I took responsibility for.
    Eh, I think you are overly worried.  Shit happens.  Nothing you can do about it.

• I'm pretty much fine now :) Was super freaked out when I found it, but I've tapered off over the last couple of hours. Just wanted to share with other knotties and have a moment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If it makes you feel any better, one time I thought I would surprise H (then BF) by doing his laundry for him. I didn't check his pockets. There was a pen in one of them and the pen exploded in the wash and dryer. I ruined all of his clothes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • larrygaga said:

So much this. H works out at home so he'll come in from his gym area, peel his socks off and dump them straight in the laundry bin. I asked him to start pulling his socks right side out and he was good for awhile but has gone right back to bad habits. I cannot stand sticking my hand into that sweaty nastiness. Ugh. So now they just get washed in whatever state he left them. Not my problem.
    QFT. I'm not your mom. You wanna leave your socks like that in the laundry? That's how they get washed.
    Anniversary

• If it makes you feel any better, one time I thought I would surprise H (then BF) by doing his laundry for him. I didn't check his pockets. There was a pen in one of them and the pen exploded in the wash and dryer. I ruined all of his clothes.
    Oy! One day FI thought he would surprise me by doing my laundry, but didn't know you had to separate delicates (since he doesn't wear anything unless it couldn't be torn apart by wild bulls). So he threw my bras and such right in the regular wash with everything else. Luckily nothing was ruined, but he doesn't do my laundry anymore XD
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oy! One day FI thought he would surprise me by doing my laundry, but didn't know you had to separate delicates (since he doesn't wear anything unless it couldn't be torn apart by wild bulls). So he threw my bras and such right in the regular wash with everything else. Luckily nothing was ruined, but he doesn't do my laundry anymore XD

My H does this too! We have decided that I will do laundry, cook, and deal with bills. He will do yard work, dishes, and odd jobs around the house. Laundry is not his strong suit.

One time I caught him putting whites in with RED towels! Glad I caught that or we would have had a ton of lovely pink clothes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I never knew there was a certain way to put socks into the laundry. I just...yank them off my feet, toss them in the hamper and then toss them in washer later. I used to try safety pinning them together to make for easy matching, but...that plan kind of tapered off after awhile.
  • I never knew there was a certain way to put socks into the laundry. I just...yank them off my feet, toss them in the hamper and then toss them in washer later. I used to try safety pinning them together to make for easy matching, but...that plan kind of tapered off after awhile.
    I find that when socks go in to the wash in tight balls then they either don't get super clean or dry all the way.  But since they aren't my socks and I have asked repeatedly for H to pull them right side out then I have stopped caring.

• Something similar happen to us. I accidently left my tinted lip balm in one of my jean pockets and it got all oer our clothes. Luckily nothing nice or important was ruined ha. I know V is super paraniod about his flash drrive, he has lost 3 already. He even put an award on it but no one has ever returned one.
  • In our home, I do all the laundry & DH does all the dishes.  DH never empties his pockets, so I always need to check them before doing laundry. I usually find an array of items, such as receipts, candy wrappers, and random items from work.  He's an electrician, so there are usually wire nuts, small pieces of wiring, screws, drill bits, Sharpie markers, etc.  Occasionally I'll find a pocketful of rocks and dirt, if he's been digging trenches. I now have a container on the dresser where I empty all the item into, then he can deal with them.  When it gets full of work supplies, he just takes them back to work to use.

There was one time I forgot to check his pockets and ended up washing his electric voltage tester (checks to see if power is on or off)... he wasn't thrilled since he uses that daily.  But, luckily they are cheap and he was able to stop and get a new one on his way to work the next day.  But, I felt bad about it.  And luckily, I haven't missed and accidentally washed a Sharpie or something... that would be bad. 

And occasionally, if dirty clothes are left on the floor instead of hamper (DH's specialty), our dogs will lay on them while chewing bones or playing with toys.  So, I do occasionally pull bones or small dog toys out of the laundry. 

• I do both of our laundry, and Fi is pretty good about emptying his pockets. 
    I've accidently washed and dried chapstick ):<
  • When FI and I lived in our own separate apartments, he did laundry and my bright red lipstick was in his jeans pocket- I asked him to hold it for me when I was out and I was bag less. Well, his brand new jeans and a good portion of his clothes were covered in bright red streaks lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I usually do laundry.  I've washed DH's key fob thing for work many times, but it doesn't seem to ruin it thankfully.  The occasional times he does it, I sort it and tell him to just have everything I own except the socks.  I don't trust him to sort dryer vs. hang to dry

All matching socks is my solution I have a basket that holds all my socks. I can get dressed in the dark because I don't need to worry about mismatches.

All matching socks is my solution I have a basket that holds all my socks. I can get dressed in the dark because I don't need to worry about mismatches.
    Or all mismatching socks. That is my favorite invention of 2014 - purposefully mismatched socks. :)

I once washed the plug-in box to an iPhone charger. I blamed it on the flu when I had to call my dad to make sure I hadn't ruined it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • So last night the drive came up in conversation. He said, "It's fine. I accidentally wash them all the time."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards