Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Do it yourself BBQ sides

We are having a September wedding in 2016 with probably around 150 guests. We are planning on roasting a pig, having bbq chicken (we have a group that will do it for free, we just have to provide the meat), and making homemade sides (i.e. baked mac and cheese, baked beans, pasta salad, coleslaw, etc.). Has anyone had experience with this? How much meat and sides did you buy?? How long does it take to warm up on the sides in the chafting dishes?

Re: Do it yourself BBQ sides

• Options
    Have you researched local bbq joints in your area?  150 people is a lot to feed and prep for.  Do you have the storage space, the time, the right equipment, etc to actually make the amount of sides for this event?  What about food safety?  If you don't keep things warmed or cooled correctly it could really lead to some sick people.

Personally I would look into local restaurants to see how much it will cost.

Also who will be switching out empty chafing dishes?  Who will keep the buffet area clean?  Who will be doing all the heating up and laying out of all the food?

• Options
    We are planning on it being pretty laid back. We have discussed this with family members and everyone is willing to help out and we are pretty dead set on doing "family recipes"... has anyone had any experience with just hiring someone to switch stuff out... I'm sure there are people who would do that...?
  • Options
    I don't have any experience doing this for a wedding, but the sides should be warm before they are put in the chafing dishes. They are just meant to keep them warm, not to cook or heat them up from cold. 

• Options
    bnt2107 said:
    We are planning on it being pretty laid back. We have discussed this with family members and everyone is willing to help out and we are pretty dead set on doing "family recipes"... has anyone had any experience with just hiring someone to switch stuff out... I'm sure there are people who would do that...?
    There are companies out there that do that. I work for one in my area where I go to events in homes and help serve the food, wash the dishes & deal with the trash. I've done small wedding, jewish holidays, and graduation parties to name a few examples. Go onto google and search "bartending services" with the major town you are near and you should get some links to businesses that not only provide bartenders but servers as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards