Chit Chat

Giving Tuesday

edited December 2014 in Chit Chat
Is anyone familiar with this recent trend?  I think it's a great idea to encourage people to give to charitable groups.  What charities do you like to support?

ETA:  Here's the site - http://www.givingtuesday.org/

Re: Giving Tuesday

• I just saw something about this on Facebook. I honesty had no idea!

I primarily support cancer-related and animal welfare organizations.

• I gave last year to my grad school scholarship fund and the research organization for my sister's illness. I haven't made any plans to give this year but if I did it would probably be again to the research group.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've never heard of this either!

Historically, I've tended to give money to groups that support women- domestic violence shelters, food pantries, women's health clinics, etc.

We've actually tapped out our giving budget for the year with a friend of DH's family-- they created a foundation to pay for the support of a severely handicapped child that they adopted. They've had lots of fundraisers, publicity, etc. but we heard that they were short a chunk of money for a surgery. It was more than we normally donate annually but we decided that it was the best place to put it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • This is the first year I've had a full-time job, so I haven't had the chance to be as charitable as I would like in years past. Now that I am done paying for our wedding, I've been looking at making donations to local animal shelters. I sent our county shelter some items from their Amazon wish list, and I'm also thinking about sponsoring a cat at a local no-kill cat shelter.
  • I'm a big supporter of Hospice.  My mom has been volunteering with them for over 20 years (both of her parents were extremely sick and died when I was 8 and would have greatly benefited from a Hospice which didn't exist where they lived).  I also am a big supporter of animal welfare charities.

• There is a group that has been promoting Giving Tuesday (maybe self-serving)?  It's called Busted Halo, and they are an online ministry for young adults who are seeking faith.

I'm also a big fan of a group in Northwest Houston that does a lot - job placement, food pantry, general assistance.  I grew up doing projects with them for Girl Scouts or other church activities.  They are a pretty amazing group.
  • We adopted a little kid for Christmas this year, and today I'm finishing my shopping for him. It has been really fun! 

I've always donated to the local humane society in my hometown (like from the time I was 10 and made Christmas ornaments to sell to give them the money after I realized my parents weren't gonna let me adopt every single dog). 

I also like pitching in for whatever thing my friends get involved in where they have to raise a certain amount of funds to participate; the Susan G Komen walk, Habitat for Humanity, etc. I try to give local though, since with a lot of the big national things you can't really be sure where your money is going. 
  • ugh. I hate this day because I work for a non-profit and they harass us to donate.

Um, I'm underpaid by a lot. I volunteer my time.
  • I like the local Humane Society (a specific shelter where I got my first cat and used to foster for).  At work this year we changed from United Way to a local homeless shelter, and I've found a lot of joy this year in buying a turkey for a needy family for the holiday (work adopted several families and we could volunteer to give cash or work together to buy all the meal fixin's) and some slippers for their internal "gift shop" that families could go and pick out gifts from. 

• I donate to JDRF every year, and we donate clothes to the national kidney foundation.

image   image   image

• I forgot that at this time of year, one of the local radio DJs hosts "Hope for the Holidays" where he picks a letter from a family who needs help and the citizens of Kansas City kick in to help these family.  I am looking forward to crying on my drive in to work every single weekday this month, lol. 

This morning it was a woman with a 13-month old daughter who has brain cancer and just needed new tires to get her kid to the hospital and doctor visits.  That always makes me think about putting my minor grievances into perspective.  I really am tempted to call and donate money to one of the families this season. 

• abl13abl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    This morning I was trying to shop the Macy's friends and family sale and it wouldn't let me check out with my Macy's card because it was expired (even though it works fine in store), then I remembered what day it was and that that was pretty ironic. Instead I donated to my local humane society as they are caring for a number of dogs that were confiscated in November as part of a dog fighting bust. I also donated to Six Legs Foundation (https://www.facebook.com/6legs) which is not local to me but I happened to stumble upon it on FB earlier this year. It was started by 2 girls that are my age to help low income families with vet expenses to help reduce the amount of pets that end up in shelters because families can't afford their care. I wish I could quit my job and do something like that locally.
  • I tend to support charities for animals and children.
  • We donate a couple times a year to Operation BBQ Relief (link).  They travel to areas hit by natural disasters and provide food support services. DH is really into BBQ-ing, so that's how we came across that one. We've been following them since they first started and it's amazing to watch a charity grow the way they have.

We also donate to Cancer Research Institute (link).  We like that they spend a huge percentage of their money on actual research, as opposed to just education & advertising. In comparison, Komen.org spends almost as much on advertising as they do on research.  But, they do bring in a lot of donations through all their advertising and fundraising, so that small percentage still creates a large dollar amount.

Every Christmas we pick a couple names for Christmas Angels and buy gifts for kids. DH started doing this before we met.  So, now he's got me involved, too.

And this year, I've been holding off on cutting my hair with plans to donate it.  I plan on doing that sometime around end of the year and will have about 10"-12" to give.  I had been thinking of Locks of Love, since that's the one that you usually hear about, but my SIL told me that they sell the wigs, rather than donate them for free. I looked into it and they do charge based on financial need, so some may be free or some are charged for them. They also sell some of the shorter or gray hair for profit. So, after a little more research, I think I'm going to send it to Pantene Beautiful Lengths (link).  They partner with American Cancer Society and give the wigs away for free.  And they only require 8" length (Locks of Love requires 10").  I usually grow my hair until it really annoys me, then chop it around my shoulders.  And my hair grows pretty fast, so I can probably donate around 8" or more each year. 

• Pretty soon every single day is going to have a "name."

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Oh yeah - we have a Foundation arm to our organization so today is a big push day for them.

luckya23 said:
    Pretty soon every single day is going to have a "name."
    Yep - just missing Sunday of the Thanksgiving week, right? 

Thursday = Thanksgiving
    Friday = Black Friday
    Saturday = Small Buisness Saturday
    Sunday = Can we get a break already??
    Monday = Cyber Monday
    Tuesday = Giving Tuesday
    Wednesday = I'm freakin' exhausted
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't usually give money. I'm more likely to give of my time or donate actual things. In the past I've done walks for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, right after my own scare with it and in honor of two of my grandmothers, who are survivors.

Right now I'm working with my church to do PK Christmas, which is something we started this year to make sure pastor's kids get Christmas presents, since pastors give so much to their communities. Most of the kids we're giving to need things like diapers, winter coats, and school supplies. I'm in charge of getting 300 (!!!!) Christmas cards so every kid gets a personalized card.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I donate money to the shelter from which I adopted my kitties. I do payroll deductions through my job. Not anything major by any means, but any bit helps! And they are a great organization- they rescued my babies!. I also do different volunteer activities throughout the year through my job. I'm a cofounder of an initiative dealing with teenage girls, and then I do other things that are offered by my company. They are huge on volunteering. I think volunteering time is more personal, so I prefer to do that.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I give a small amount on a monthly basis to Planned Parenthood.  I donate to TFA sometimes when they come around asking.  This year we sponsored a child at a local homeless shelter and bought him some things off his Christmas list, which I am really excited about.  He asked for a blue Ninja Turtle and not only did we get him a bunch of TMNTs, we also got him Leonardo's RC buggy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Oh yeah - we have a Foundation arm to our organization so today is a big push day for them.

luckya23 said:
    Pretty soon every single day is going to have a "name."
    Yep - just missing Sunday of the Thanksgiving week, right? 

Thursday = Thanksgiving
    Friday = Black Friday
    Saturday = Small Buisness Saturday
    Sunday = Can we get a break already??
    Monday = Cyber Monday
    Tuesday = Giving Tuesday
    Wednesday = I'm freakin' exhausted
    Well, my grandmother couldn't recall the term "Black Friday" so it came out "Dark Sunday" - I'll go with that!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards