Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding now or later? Father not doing good

Okay ladies,  to start off, the fiancé and I have been engaged for nearly two years.  We planned for an outside wedding to on October 25th of this year, but my daddy had a series of strokes in July. My fiancé and I delayed the wedding so my daddy would be able to walk me down the aisle. We rescheduled it for April.  My bridesmaids have already bought their dresses but my daddy isn't doing as good as we had planned, we thought he would make full recovery.  Now that we realize he isn't going to get a back to normal, I'm torn.  Do I just hurry and have a family only wedding and reception and pay my bridesmaids back for their dresses (we don't have enough money for a big reception at the moment) or wait it out until April and have a big reception? My daddy had surgery again in a couple of weeks so it would be only immediate family.  I'm SO 

Thanks yall!

Re: wedding now or later? Father not doing good

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    everyone has a different opinion on this.  I do not think there is a wrong answer.  i've know people who moved up their wedding for a loved one. I've known people who just stuck to their original plans.  Neither couple regrets their choice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

lyndausvi said:
    everyone has a different opinion on this.  I do not think there is a wrong answer.  i've know people who moved up their wedding for a loved one. I've known people who just stuck to their original plans.  Neither couple regrets their choice.
    I second this. None of us can tell you what's right for you, your FI, and your family. But I'm sending you lots of hugs, and thoughts and prayers for your dad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a friend whose father has a degenerative disease (I think that's the right term for it). Even before she met her now-husband, they always thought each time she visited him would be her last.  Her wedding was 8 months after getting engaged, and her father made it. He wasn't able to walk her down the aisle or dance with her, but he was there.
    You really just never know. I'd probably keep my wedding scheduled as-is and treasure every moment I have.  

• I'm so sorry you're going through this. I agree with PPs that you and your FI are the only ones who can decide what to do. 

My mom was given two months to live less than two months before my DW. We cancelled and had an earlier local wedding with 37 people total. My friend's grandpa (who had raised him) got really sick six months before his wedding. They kept their plans, knowing that grandpa would want them to have the wedding they'd planned, with or without him. There is no right or wrong answer here. 

Someone can correct me here, but if you have send out STDs, I believe it is within good etiquette to send cancellation notices and schedule a smaller ceremony and reception sooner. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards